All member reviews for Tangled

Fantastic princess adventure is fun, with great messages.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byAppleNell December 23, 2010

It Should Have Been Called "Twisted"

While "Tangled" is visually stunning and has strong music, it has ended up haunting and repelling this mom to the point where she quite honestly is still having nightmares about it three weeks after seeing it.

I understand I am in the minority, but --just as most reviewers of "The Secret of Kells" seemed to miss the fact it had a very strong religious message-- nowhere did I read a review of "Tangled" that made mention of the horrible, scary, disturbing fact that skulks behind the charming thief, singing barbarians, and witty animals. This movie is about an adult who abducts, imprisons and exploits a child. What is worse, the adult is not the standard issue Disney villainess. She is beautiful, and has manipulated her captive into submission and obedience through a steady diet of passive aggressive undercutting interspersed with rage and occasional kindesses. Worst of all, "Mother Gothel," refreshes her use by brushing Rapunzel's hair while Rapunzel sings, a grotesque perversion of parent/child intimacy.

Less disturbing, yet still really troubling, is the pervasive emphasis on death, dying, injury, and loss. These issues have been handled wonderfully by any number of children's movies ("Up" and "Princess and the Frog" are two recent examples); however, that's not the case here. The starkness of a stolen child, inconsolable parental loss, and unbridled greed that makes the villainess inhuman is just too much.

All of that said, my two children enjoyed it, although the five year old hid her eyes a number of times. There are funny parts. The animation is lovely. 3D is used to good effect, particularly in a truly stunning scene where lanterns are released into the night sky (a "celebration" of the stolen princess's birthday, her parents' desperate call into the unknown). None of this was for me enough to trump the wrong at this movie's heart.

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byJenfio November 25, 2010

Every Good Kids' Movie Should Have a Stabbing Scene!

It really was a great movie -- funny, interesting, great animation, etc. -- but once again (thanks, Disney) way too violent for little kids. I usually agree with Common Sense on their age ratings, but I think they're off on this one. All Disney moves have peril and violence, but thisone has an actual murder scene, complete with stabbing. Never mind that the stabbing victim eventually survives; we're meant to believe he's been killed. And in case we're not sure, we get a an upclose look at the bloody entry point beneath the victim's cloak right afterward. The witch and two thugs are really quite scary, and the witch's horror face during her eventual demise is definitely the stuff of nightmares. I do believe that if this movie had actual people in it as opposed to (the very realistic looking) animated people, it might have been given a PG-13 rating. My advice to parents is to be aware that even though this is an animated feature and even though it's the retelling of a classic children's fairy tale, just remember it didn't manage to get a G rating. There's good reason for that.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bymyuserid December 5, 2010

I thought the concept of the "mother" not truly loving Rapunzel even though they exchanged "I love you", "I love you more", "I love you most" was difficult to grasp for younger audiences. It makes me think children could see their mother as being dishonest when they say "I love you". I had to leave the theater with my 6 year old since she was having anxiety while watching the movie. I also thought there were lots of gratuitous images of weaponry (knives, battle axes, etc.) threatening characters. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that Flinn actually was stabbed to death at the end, but I was.

Parent of a 4, 8, and 11 year old Written byblueekb2 December 22, 2010

Didn't love it

Wow - I seem to be one of a few people on the planet who objects to this movie, but I found the kidnapping scene to be really anxiety provoking for my kids. And though I personally thought that they made the kidnapper believable, subtle in her abusiveness, complex, and interesting, my kids were really uncomfortable with her. She was a mix of emotional abuse, love, and desperation all wrapped up in one. There's a scene where the kidnapper stabs the main character's one and only friend. It's a little intense. If you've got adoptive or foster kids, definitely skip this one.

Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written byMommaZ December 12, 2010

Fun, but some bad messages

Well, I saw this with my sensitive 7 year old and his friend. I really liked it - EXCEPT for the hag/mother. I kept thinking it was an uncomfortable "lesson" - she acts like she cares, she teaches that "mother knows best" but she is evil and manipulative - and it turns out that rebellion is the best thing this teenager ever did! Maybe I am a fuddy-duddy, but I really didn't like that message.

My son said afterword he liked it, but it was scary. He wouldn't elaborate, so I don't know exactly what scared him. Makes me wonder...maybe it wasn't a great choice (to my surprise). If your kids are older or less sensitive - it has some great parts.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 December 21, 2010

fine enough for older kids, but not for the little ones

Hated it. My 6yr old daughter said as we left the theater, "I didn't like it at all." She sat in my lap the entire time. One of her worst fears has always been that someone would steal her away from her family. This movie portrayed that in the opening scenes. It was terrifying for mamas and kids. And the worst was that the "witch" that stole her in essence becomes an "adoptive mom" - tells her she loves her, tells her she wants to protect her, and Rapunzel grows up calling her "mommy." The old Disney thing of "evil mama" is twisted even further by making this "mama" a kidnapper, and one who uses the words "love" and "protection" in ways that trick and deceive. The end message is that rebellion gets you out from under the mama's cruel thumb. Bad message for little kids who take things literally.

Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byTB-SFbay December 26, 2010

The villian who kidnapped Rapunzel scared my kids - they wanted to leave

Sure this movie is entertaining, but from a child's point-of-view, it's very scary that the first scene shows a baby being kidnapped. This child, Rapunzel, is kept in seclusion by her abductor who pretends to be her Mother. This was VERY scary for my boys (ages 5 and 7). They wanted to leave and go home halfway through it. We ended up taking turns with them in the lobby, talking more about it, and let them come and go as they wanted to with the "scary parts". As an adult, I enjoyed the story, but this should all be considered (or discussed with the kids ??) before taking sensitive kids.

Educator and Parent of a 7 year old Written bympls_nic December 28, 2010

Warning: Violent Death Scene - Not Appropriate for Ages 7 and Under

I loved the movie. I laughed, cheered, applauded, and left feeling delighted. I thought that Rapunzel, Pascal, Flynn/Eugene, and Maximus were great role models for children ages 8 and up. However, I'm surprised that the official rating is on for ages 5 and up as the "Content Based Criteria for Determining Age Appropriateness" clearly state that movies for ages 7 and under should have no depictions of violence that would reasonably result in death or serious injury, even in cartoon characters, and Gothel/"Mother" dies quite dramatically at the end of the movie, falling to her death after being knocked out a high window and Flynn/Eugene is brought back from the brink of death after being stabbed. On the other hand, while there is action hero sword fighting (and frying pan fighting), there's minimal blood, and the violence is mostly portrayed as hurtful and causing suffering, making it acceptable for children ages 8 and up. The notable exception to the "portrayed as hurtful" criteria is the death of Gothel/"Mother," which the audience is clearly meant to welcome and celebrate (which is creepy and disturbing at any age, but utterly inappropriate for a children's movie). Movies for ages 7 and under should also not portray serious loss, bullying or coercion, and there's no doubt that being kidnapped from your loving home by a selfish witch/evil stepmother is a serious loss, and Gothel/"Mother" definitely both bullies and coerces Rapunzel into obeying her.

Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written byekellison November 26, 2010

Great movie, with some scary depictions of evil fake mother

Tangled is a great telling of the Rapunzel tale. Music is good, writing is very funny, characters are not overly threatening, with the exception of the Rapunzel's "mother," Gothel. I was uncomfortable with the depiction of the evil, fakester mother, as were my 5 year old twins (daughter especially). She was depicted as especially sinister and duplicitous, and I thought the movie overdid the depiction. My daughter had to leave the theater a couple of times during particularly threatening scenes with her. So I would say probably most appropriate for 6+, although both kids said they loved it when we came out of it. [And I enjoyed it very much!]

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byAmyPags March 29, 2011

Too dark for Disney

Great for adults but not for my 4 year old. I wished that I had listened to Common Sense Media instead of the neighbors. It was too scary for him, and we had to keep coming and going from the theatre to avoid the darker scenes. Rapunzel's "mother" is evil in a way that children cannot understand, and the message that she is willing to kidnap Rapunzel and use her hair's power rather than grow old is certainly not one that I would want children to hear. If you rent this, check it out first and find the scenes that you can fast forward through.

Adult Written byPURPLE-ESQUE March 18, 2011

A GOOD MOVIE FOR ANY AGE

Finally, Disney catches up to Pixar (who can do no wrong in my opinion). I LOVED this movie! My adult children and grandchildren (5 & 7) also loved it. It was funny, charming, smart, beautifully animated, and didn't hit one false note. I especially enjoyed Max, the Palace Horse. He had a LOT of personality, like Toothless in How To Train Your Dragon (the most interesting and adorable animated character yet). I liked Flynn's sarcastic self-interest, and how he didn't fall head-over-heels for Rapunzel until he got to KNOW her better. Mother Gothel was a slightly different and fresh evil "mother". Her snide remarks masked as joking were fun to watch. All the songs were very good (especially Mother Gothel's. Great lyrics and delivery!) A couple of my favorite parts were the Celtic-like song and dance performed in the town center, and the lantern launching scene. Really beautiful. When Max munches down Flynn's wanted poster, I laugh out loud every time. I've seen this 4 times so far, and am going again tomorrow night. I like to support films like this by spending my money on them, hoping the filmmakers get the message and make more. We need happy, hopeful movies with wholesome messages. There's too much pain in the world to sit in a theater and watch more. I don't go to movies to have my heart ripped out. I want class, wit, heart, and humor. I also want a tower EXACTLY like Rapunzel's!

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAiko in WA December 20, 2010

Craddle-robbing thief a good role model? Maybe ok

I had hoped it would be great but it was only good. I like how Rapunzel truly debates her choice and then empowers herself to go. I supposed it is good to show kids that have selfish or otherwise bad parents that they are not alone and it is normal to love to your parents anyway.

I thought it a little creepy that an obviously older adult male gets together romantically with an almost jailbait teenager girl. Because of her naivete (sp?), he ends up being more of a father figure/protector than a truly compatible love match. Of course she fell in love with the first good-looking man she ever met, even though he is a double-crossing thief - she could do better! I think the movie would have been fine with a deep friendship - platonic relationships CAN actually exist.

And while Rapunzel does get Flint to question his way of life (burgulary) a little, he is still a thief longing for money and fame - nothing more. That he turns good in the end only shows him to be not-heartless. Yes - burgulars can be nice people too.

Adult Written bySelenity December 2, 2010

Just Bleck

I think Rapanzel was a terrible role model. The movie followed the same attitude half the teenage population has. Parents don't know any better, they're just trying to control me and keep me from having fun. They haven't actually lived longer than me and actually know a thing or two about the world. I can see it now. "My mom's actually a lying, deceiving witch. Maybe she's not even my real mom." The "Prince" tells her rebellion is a good thing. Even the consenquences of her actions proved to be at the hands of her "mother". Nothing was offered to give any real consenquences of her attitude. On the contrary, they seemed to celebrate it like a good thing. Not that it should shock me. The "girl power" "do what makes you feel good" pc idea has been slowly pushed to the point of rediculous. All well and good, but there comes a point that "doing what makes you feel good" turns into plain selfishness. Why don't you show me a heroine that thinks about others more than herself? That's a role model I could show my kids.

It's not that I think being "locked away in a tower" is a good thing. I believe in being truthful with my kids and talking to them. We talk about good things, bad things, and why. I don't believe in lying to my kids, ever. I do believe in letting them experience some things for themselves even when I know better, because it is true that sometimes you just have to see for yourself. I'd rather my kids see for themselves on small things, than on the big ones. And when they grow to that age, hopefully take that wisdom with them. If they rebel, they rebel... but I will NOT give them the idea that this is acceptable or a good thing.

Tangled is a perfect name for this movie. It tangles up load of manure under the guise of funny lines, CG, and old fashion fairytale so well that most people don't see it. (Disney) Cinderella made clothes for the mice, took abuse for years without complaint, and never treated her stepmother and step sisters badly or with an ill word. She was kind in everything she did. She was rewarded for her dilligence and the step-family got what they deserved without any help from her. That's a role model. If my daughter could be half as kind as Cinderella with the same positive attitude no matter what life may bring, that's an attitude worth having. Anyone can rebel. Few can make it through life with the gentle nature of Cinderella.

Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byBrewster Mom of 2 December 30, 2010

Very enjoyable - may want to get popcorn when Flynn is attacked by Mother.

I was shocked to see the character knifed and then to see a pool of blood below him appear. I think was was very graphic and agree with the PG rating. I would have stepped out during that scene had I known about it in advance. Otherwise - a very good movie - had both my son and daughter enthralled.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byCarrieRogers2 December 17, 2010

Very Suspenseful, but overall a fun movie for kids

I took my girls with their grandpa, and he even said it was suspenseful for him. The scary scenes were over pretty quickly, though, so I was able to keep my 5 year old in the theater since the 3 year old was in my lap and I never would have been able to struggle out of there juggling the two. But they were pretty upset by the chase scenes in the movie.

However, the message was great for little girls, ESPECIALLY if you have a shy one-- you can be strong and brave even if you are nervous about new experiences. How often do we come across a film that shows the wallflower becoming the heroine and fighting off all the bad guys, while the "big strong man" just gets himself in MORE trouble?

We did not see the 3D version, and I am glad we didn't. This movie was too suspenseful anyway. I still believe young children don't need to see 3D movies. The things jumping out of the screen and looking like they are coming to get you could be very scary to a little kid, and they don't understand the whole "It's not real" argument. It IS real to them, and it doesn't look friendly a lot of the time! Keep it on the screen and in their heads, but not touching them.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byBostonMama November 28, 2010

Great even for young ones

We saw this with our 3.5-year-old son, our 5.5-year-old daughter, and my parents. I was a little worried about the PG rating but have to say, many shows on TV that are not rated, even on PBS, have questionable content. This launched a nice conversation with my daughter about a latent message in the movie -- beauty and kindness come from within, and you can't judge a person by appearance.

It was pretty funny, Flynn was hilarious, the horse cracked my husband up more than the 5-year-old crowd, and I recommend 3D (even as a 3D skeptic). The kids loved it, and wore their glasses without complaint. They were awestruck.

I loved the power of the heroine. Rapunzel saved Flynn as much as he saved her, maybe more. She was independent, loving, and very true to herself throughout the whole movie. I appreciated that.

My daughter was scared by, and confused by, the "Mother" who kidnapped the princess as a baby. But after we talked about her, and I think she got it. There was really only one scary scene, and she tends to be very sensitive to anything scary.

Great movie. Loved it.

Kid, 12 years old Written bystarwars reviewer November 26, 2010

I know logic does not apply to Disney, but what the....

I saw this today, and it was really good, but the logic was... flawed. First, before my review: SPOILERS!!!! IF YOU WANT SURPRISE FROM THE MOVIE, DO NOT READ!!!!
Now, my first point is, how does a piece of the sun turn into a flower? How does this sun flower respond to a human singing? How did everyone know it healed people? Why did the old lady sing to it the first time she saw it? Why did it pass on to Repunzel from her mom? Why did its healing power last for over 18 years? Is Repunzel knew that her hair made you young, how did she not notice that her "mom" was using it all the time? If she was always in a tower, how did she even know men and other people existed? Why didn't Repunzel realize she looked nothing like the old lady? So mony questions! Still this is a really cute film. I loved it! Thanks for reading!

Adult Written bysarahkay89 December 3, 2010

Great family movie! Loved it.

I thought this was a really cute movie. Very family-friendly. Funny. Classic Disney princess movie.
One element I questioned was the main guy who Rapunzel fall in love with. He is no knight in shining armor. In fact he is a thief and wanted criminal. Though he reforms in the end and really has a heart of gold, it doesn't show him (or any of the other "nice" criminals) as having any sort of consequence for their lives of crime. Subtle message, but still food for thought. Good teaching opportunity for parents.

Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bykkg0909 November 29, 2010

I loved this movie. My husband and I took our 4-year-old daughter to see it in 3D and the whole family had a great time. My daughter was laughing out loud at many parts. And it was made to be seen in 3D! There was one part that involved a lantern floating in the sky that my daughter was positively amazed at. She kept saying that it was "right in front of her!" and that she could have touched it if she wanted to. It was such a great experience seeing her so in awe.

There were some things that I would caution other parents about though. One is the scene at the Cuddly Duck bar. I really think I heard the word "sadistic" in that song and I'm not sure that I'm happy about it. I don't think I should have to be explaining what that word means to my 4-year-old after seeing a Disney movie. But maybe that's just me. Another scene that I thought was a little over-the-top scary was the final scene with Gothel. It was vivid, realistic and down-right disturbing how she meets her end. Same thing with the stabbing that occurs during that scene. I would like to say though that I think these scenes are less scary than the voodoo magic of The Princess and the Frog. Those scenes I still won't let my daughter watch (she covers her eyes too) but she saw Tangled in its entirety and really wasn't overly bothered by it. Also, let's face it, reading the traditional story of Rapunzel is disturbing too. One version I read had the prince's eyes poked out by thorns. So, I really don't know which is worse.

I loved how selfless both Rapunzel and Flynn are at the end, each willing to give up her/his life or happiness for the well being of the other. Great stuff there.

Overall, I would say that this is a wonderful movie. I liked Rapunzel as a character and am so glad since all the Rapunzel Christmas gifts were purchased before I even saw the movie. I liked the story and thought they did a nice job with it. This is my new favorite Disney Princess movie. And I don't say that lightly. Hope this helps.

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byMother22 April 6, 2011

My kids really enjoyed it, but were very concerned about Rapunzel being abducted. For several days they asked about what would happen if bad people abducted them & how long we would search for them. Also, they have literally been carrying around a toy frying pan to hit people in the head with ......Finally, Rapunzel is portrayed as ugly after her hair was cut (earlier in the movie she says her hair is an ugly brown after it is cut). My daughter has continued to say that Rapunzel got "really ugly" after her hair turned brown......