Parent reviews for The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys Poster Image

Fine for some kids under 12 but most kids can probably watch this at 12.

There is some violence, but by today this is just funny over the top gore. there is also one racy scene.

1 person found this helpful.

Fun Vamp Flick for your horror hungry teens

The Lost Boys is a fab fun vampire flick, guaranteed to satisfy your young teens wanting something a bit more mature than the usual boring kiddie recommendations. Unfortunately it was a 15 rated movie here in Blighty, but they really should reassess it as common sense would suggest, young teens wouldn't be too disturbed by it's mild gory content. If you want to introduce your more mature kids to the horror genre, look no further! It's not particularly scary, just a cool Goonie-esc movie that's more MTV than Hammer House. If your struggling to find a horror movie this Halloween to satisfy your young terrors, then give them what they crave! Pick your popcorn, turn the lights down and crank up the sound.... ' Party all night. Never grow old. It's fun to be a vampire'.

All time classic

This is a wonderful introductory horror-comedy for younger kids. This is a funny almost Goonies style romp with the odd swear, over the top gore (that only targets the bad guys) and a short make-out session with implied sex. The main review suggests there are no positive messages, however one of the leads, Michael, learns that one should never do bad things to try and impress new friends. They might just be vampires!

If you like Stranger Things....

It has many of the same elements of Stranger Things; 1980’s, kids battling monsters, some humor, some gore. It’s campy & dated but still fun and really doesn’t deserve that R rating by today’s standards. There is one brief sex scene but no nudity and nothing explicit. The gore is limited, pretty fake & shot in a quick cut stylized way that makes it hard to figure out what you just saw. And there’s less violence than many contemporary PG-13 movies. My 11 year old loved it and deemed it “way less scary than stranger things” and I would agree. A perfect “starter” scary movie.

As tame of a vampire movie as ever there was one

I saw this movie with a friend of mine the year it came out. I was 10, he was 11 even though we were born the same year. Theaters were different then, they sold us the tickets without a second glance and we were by our selves. True there is one scene of feeding that is sort of a gore fest, and yes there is smoking and drinking, however those things are all still very tame. Gremlins in 1984 was way scarier and it was PG, today this movie would be pg-13 at worse. If my 10 year old mind could take it alone undamaged, then with a parent or older sibling about, your 10 year old can take it too.

Cheesy fun

No nudity, virtually no language, cartoonist violence, no drugs or drinking. This movie didn't age particularly well but still fun. Little one laugh at the cheesy absurdity of the vampire's death and think "oh that's so fake" spoiled by today's special effects and Cinema photography. But they still think it's funny and entertaining without taking it too seriously.

Perfect.

Obviously, this movie shouldn't be watched by under 13 year olds. Of course, that is your decision. There are many graphic scenes (but it is a vampire movie.) There is, however, a scene where a female has no upper garments on, but no breasts or front area is visible. The worst of it is that they're kissing. I would really recommend this movie and a plus is the amazing soundtrack :)

80's vampire movie is weird and stupid in the best way possible.

While it has some moderate bloody 80's violence and a sex scene, The Lost Boys is a great movie to watch with brave tweens and up. If you are worried it is going to be scary, trust me, it's not. I'm an actual person. I know what's scary and what isn't. It's very fun and has a lot of great lines.

Campy--not scary

The Lost Boys is the epitome of 80's "horror," with all the campiness and absurdity that you'd expect. The thing is, it isn't scary--those actually frightened by it will most likely be either young or very sensitive. That said, there's some heavy fantasy violence (vampires are stabbed through with giant stakes, burned with garlic) and creepy imagery. Gruesome wounds are lingered on. And though most mature teens / tweens will probably be able to handle this, there's also some swearing--most frequently, "s--t"--as well as a somewhat lengthy albeit clothed sex scene. Should be alright for older kids, but if you're looking for real horror then this probably isn't for you.