All member reviews for Toy Story 2

Stunning, witty, exciting, enchanting, and moving.

Adult Written bynduns March 26, 2010

This movie did what most sequels wish they could do...

And that is being just as good as the first one! I mean, who saw that coming? The only other sequel I feel truly pulled that off was Shrek 2. Rarely are we treated to something like Toy Story 2, a sequel that's just as good and charming as its predecessor. The writers at Pixar deserve a round of applause for pulling off what really shouldn't be the near-impossible.

Kid, 6 years old April 9, 2008

Theft adviserey

Toy story 2 like it first is a nice movie for children. The one thing parents should consider is Theft.A man desperate to have a collection steels Woody and some children of young ages may not understand the hardship of this.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBlueSpiderberry June 29, 2009

Sweet movie, Could cause guilt about letting go of toys

As someone who saw this as a child, i know something that might not occur to adult reviewers. WHile most of the messeges are fine, there is a subplot about toys that have been abondoned that can be very upsetting to kids. And very anxiety producing in terms of letting their own toys go.

Adult Written bymominco September 7, 2009

My 3 and 5 year old did not like this movie. My 3 year old started crying and we had to turn it off. Not sure there was one particular incident that upset her, but more likely she was upset about the general storyline. I think the toys being abandoned is really sad for little kids. My 5 year old did not like either and usually you can't tear him away from a movie. I was very disappointed especially after reading all positive reviews. Yet again an inappropriate movie for little ones.

Adult Written bymod squad parent September 26, 2009

Too violent for kids under 7 or 8

No way is this appropriate for a 4 year old. I think we've all become a little too complacent with violence in this country and you only have to read the news or visit the schools to see the consequences.

Educator and Parent of a 1, 1, 3, 10, and 14 year old Written bykekimball June 21, 2010

Wow, scary....

I was quite disappointed by the dark messages in the movie and how intense many of the scenes were. The happy TS scenes were few and far between. Total Bummer. I did like the last few minutes where it was sweet and wonderful.

Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian_girl June 16, 2010

Ages WHAT and Up!?!

Let me tell you a story. This movie came out when I was four years old. Having watched the first Toy Story, which freaked me out a bit but I liked it anyway, I obviously watched Toy Story 2. It terrified me! To rephrase, it terrified me at the age of FOUR!! And may I note that I've always been tough for my age? I'd seen some pretty hairy movies for a 4-year-old and didn't even - well, maybe I flinched a little bit at those. But I'm just not sure if a G rating is correct. A few years later, I tried the film again and was old enough to like it. When I tried it again, I was OLDER THAN FOUR!! It soon worked its way up to being my favorite movie. Ten years have passed, so I have a new favorite, but I'll always love this movie. In fact, I'm watching it as I type. I'm a big hypocrite, so I'd let a two-year-old watch it... but you shouldn't.
Allow me to explain. Near the start of the film, Woody is scared that he'll be thrown away so he dreams that he is thrown away and when he tries to climb out of the trash can, many dismembered toy arms and such grab him in a chokehold and pull him down into the dark pit of dispair that is the garbage bin. I skipped some small details, I'm just trying to give you the summary. It gives me and my parents the creeps even today. I've never seen a zombie movie before but I'm guessing it'd be a little like that.
The famous Zurg we've all been hearing about is featured and he looked so creepy it scared me when I was little. I watched this film recently after many years (I lost my old copy) and, for the life of me, couldn't remember what he looked like. I almost laughed when I saw him. I was scared of that guy? Well, it has been a while since I was four. Times change, I guess. Beware, four-year-olds! I still guess you could say this movie is less scary than the original.
Oh, yeah, and at the very start of the film, there's a sequence where Buzz Lightyear is fighting evil! Then Buzz gets killed. The top of his body vaporizes as his leg falls to the ground. The words GAME OVER flash on the screen. I can hear small children sighing in relief as we find out it's only someone playing a video game. One of those children being the four-year-old me.
Just as in the first Toy Story, toys get mad at each other. A few names are called, nothing most kids can't say (though they still shouldn't), and a few punches are landed but it's either over very quick or very hilarious. Usually very, very hilarious.
Mr. Potato Head kisses Mrs. Potato Head on the cheek and, at one point, the arm. Little Bo Peep starts to kiss Woody but, at all of the romantic moments, it's about two seconds before the scene is interrupted by something funny. Ha.
Oh, and when the toys are in the toy store, Barbies are having a beach party in one of the aisles. The Swimsuit Barbies (not in bikinis but you can still see their bellies) are given some loving looks by the male toys, particularly Mr. Potato Head. But it's funny and, as I said, over quickly... somewhat.
During the credits, a Buzz action figure burps. That was funny.
Late in the film, there's a sticker that says "Butte" but since the sticker gets stuck on a toy's posterior, it's a pun.
Gee, I think I'm making the movie sound worse than it really is without exaggerating. Weird.
I think this is the only sequel in the world that lives up to the original. I think Daddy thinks the first Toy Story was better. Probably because it was scarier. That's my Dad!
I only have one problem with this film: my Buzz Lightyear action figure doesn't have karate chop action or flashing lights on the wings. Though it does have my name on its shoe. What, yours doesn't? Well, go write your name on his shoe. I've got to go anyway. Don't forget to use a Sharpie! Bye. ;)

Kid, 9 years old Written byskate master March 28, 2010

my review

i like it

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion June 25, 2010

TOY STORY 2 is amazing. Simply put. It's a sequel that does the impossible: surpass the humor, creativity, and positivity of the classic first installment. This is one of, if not the best, kids movies ever. But, just because it's perfect for kids, doesn't mean that adults won't love it. There's more than enough humor and entertainment to satisfy the most mature adult.
Violence might be the only issue in the movie. There is no actual violence short of a toy's arm falling off (but it gets sewn back on again). One toy apparently falls off an elevator to his death, but is safe (and reformed) in the end. Some toys are put in peril, but mostly it's all played for laughs. The movie is one of the most positive Pixar movies out there (and that's a feat). Friendship, loyalty, love, courage, and sacrifice are major elements spoken about frequently in the film. All of the characters, save on greedy human, are great role models.
Do yourself a favor, even if you don't have kids (but especially if you do!): Watch it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byJessatay June 22, 2010

Not better than Toy Story, but a fantastic sequel.

Toy Story is back, and with a promising sequel! Here we see what Pixar kept to add from Toy Story and more experience from their previous movie, A Bug's Life. This one is much darker than the last one, with dark scenes and messages, but the characters and animation kind of covers that up. During an attempting rescue to save a toy from a yard sale, Woody is stolen by a toy collector. The other toys find out it is the advertising chicken from the Al's Toy Barn commercials (Al), and set out on a journey to rescue him. During the time in Al's appartment, Woody finds out he was a child's senstaion: his own gang, merchandise, tv show. He wanted to escape, until he found out Jessie's story about her owner outgrowing her, soon knowing Andy will soon. Buzz, Mr. Potato Head, Hamm, Slinky, and Rex get to Al's Toy Barn . There, Buzz is kidnapped by a new-belt equipped Buzz and stuffed into his package, tricking the other toys and heading to Al's appartment. While the real Buzz escapes and leaves, he releases Zurg, his arch rival. The real Buzz catches with the other toys in Al's appartment. Though Woody turn's them down, he changed his mind when Buzz told him toys are meant to play with. Woody convinces Bullseye and Jessie to go, but too late when Pete gets out of his box and forces them to stay as Al ships them to Japan. The toys encounter Buzz on the elevator shaft while chasing Al. They reach the airport and go inside the baggage claim area. Pete tries to stop them, but they put him inside a girls bag. Woody saves Jessie from the luggage on the train just in time when the airplane leaves. Ther is still some mild language and some scenes show violence. But, it shows the value of friendship and a nice group of characters.

Kid, 8 years old October 8, 2009

Best Movie Ever

This Was The Best 3D Movie Ever I Saw It At A Fancy Movie Theater And It Was Called Cinemark Tineltown Grapevine And This Was My First 3D Movie It Was Not Color Paper Glasses It Was Real D 3D Glasses And Was Verry Cool

Kid, 12 years old Written byKidWhoReviewsStuff April 12, 2011

The movie that goes to infinite and beyond

This is easily the best Toy Story movie ever due to the unique and very funny ideas that churn out continously throughout. Some parts may scare young children but after their first viewing they should be fine.

Parent of an infant, 2, and 5 year old Written byann0903 April 28, 2009

Some language and scary stuff for young ones

My 2 year old (watching with her 5 year old sibling) is scared by the initial sequence with Zurg (Darth Vader like character). Also, there is more name calling than you would think.

Kid, 12 years old Written bythe bomb June 2, 2010

toy story 2 is a awesome movie.

toy story 2 is so funny and a blast for the family. this one is better then the toy story 1, but the first one is still funny. the violence is so funny but at the same it is violence. the language and sexy stuff is no big deal at all. tom hanks is so funny as woody. tim allen is the best, he is so funny as buzz. overall the movie is a awesome movie. i can't wait to see toy story 3 it looks awesome.

Kid, 12 years old Written byKinbJune June 17, 2010

Joy Story 2

This might not have been as good as the first one, but it still kicks butt! This sequel deserves to be made another sequel and I'm glad that is tomorrow, and I'm seeing it tomorrow! Don't miss out!

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 June 15, 2010

Great 5 star movie for the family!

Most sequels aren't as good as the original, but that's not the case with Toy Story 2! In fact, it may be better than the first one! I don't think it's as scary as 1 but kids might find zurg scary. He's kinda like a friendlier version of Vader. There is some sex but it's mild. Some of the toys stare at barbies. But this isn't a big deal. Like the first one, there's product placement (since they're toys). Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head appear but this shouldn't be an issue. I highly reccomend Toy Story 2. It's a fantasic movie for any age!

Kid, 12 years old Written byYangy October 1, 2009

My first movie ever! Almost as good as no. 1, but not my favourite. Good job Pixar on creating a sucessful sequel.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 September 25, 2009

One of the few sequels that matches the originals success

Sequels like "Are We Done Yet?", "Airplane II," "Cheaper by the Dozen 2," (I could go on and on,) fail to live up to its original. This movie matches the other's success with humor, drama and morals, which is great for a kiddie movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written byReviewer X1 October 6, 2009

"Do not pass this one up!"

I never saw this in theaters. so I look forward to watching the double feature.
........................................
This movie is one of the few films that every child should see. Its good, clean,
"appropriate" fun.