All member reviews for Cowboy Bebop

Space adventures meant for mature anime fans.

Adult Written byutonium4 April 9, 2008

Successful Fusion of Anime, Westerns and Sci-Fi

Cowboy Bebop is a great introduction into anime for those new to it. Bebop is a benign show--adult themes are dealt with delicately and female characters are protrayed as strong and multidimensional. The soundtrack is phenomenal and it is is almost worth watching for that alone. My kids have watched and seemed to come away better for it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byGamerbro June 9, 2009

A work of art by Shinchiro Watanabe

This is simply the best anime I have ever seen. The story is wonderful and subtle. The fight scenes are amazingly choreographed, and the characters are very real and relatable. Things do get pretty violent every once in a while, But it's forgivable in context(most of the time). However, children should not watch this. Not only are some scens pretty graphic, but they woukdn't understand the themes and the story. They might even shrug it off because it isn't actiony enough.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKavki St. Dane November 12, 2009

Brilliant - probably okay for level-headed young teens

It's brilliant in every sense, but it's not age-appropriate for little ones, and to be honest, I would think it would be rare to find one that would like it anyway - while there is a lot of good humor in it, it's also got a gritty style to it, and even when I find kids who play M rated games and whatnot, they usually go for the ones with shiny armor, high-tech computers, etc.
The rating panel is on par for the most part, but there's a couple of things that got overlooked: for example, I'm fairly sure Faye drops the f-bomb once later in the series; earlier on there's one character who is shown to be a hermaphrodite (not actually sure if it's the correct terminology for the situation...) due to a mutation several years previous.
All in all, I'd say it's probably okay for younger teens if they've got a good head on their shoulders - wouldn't recommend it for 12 or younger, though.

Adult Written bybporter28 April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old Written byAnimeFreak200 April 30, 2011

Magnificent!!

This series is totally amazing!!!!!!! I would recommend anyone who loves anime to watch this series!!!

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBean August 24, 2011

One of the greatest.

Think of this anime as a classic movie, don't watch it until you can appreciate it. I think it's fine for teens around my age.

Adult Written byMovstar96 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymgraf January 30, 2011

Like the various forms of jazz used as the musical background and accompaniment, this show's characters and plots are alternately changeable, thoughtful, frenetic, erratic, violent, languid, calm, romantic, nostalgic, and complex. The themes and subtlety on display here are best for more mature watchers, although the visuals might keep younger ones engaged (and distracted from more questionable moments). Various episodes deal with crime (as a matter of course; the main characters are bounty hunters), drugs, gambling (one is character is addicted), sexuality, vengeance, regret, romance, religion, and what happens to food left in the fridge far too long.

Kid, 12 years old Written bygamerhead April 28, 2011

Best Anime Ever!

I'm kind of biased towards this anime. I'm a sucker for space shows but I think this is so much more. I love all the crew Spike, Faye, Jet, and Edward. They each get alot of development except for Edward but she still got a little. The fight scenes are incredible and the soundtrack is amazing.

Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 17, 2009

It's an excellent animated series though it can be sort of violent at times.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySamurai 2.0 May 6, 2011

Beautiful classic anime.

An original Adult Swim show. I watched it at the age of 8 and was really lost. When I was 14, I rewatched it. This is quite truly a classic, but rather violent. Young kids won't understand the plot, either. Teens and up.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byILOVEGITS January 16, 2011

A Classic And A Masterpiece That Will Never Be Forgotten

I Love It! Me And My Two Kids Are Rollin Through This Series. We Started A Couple Days Ago And Have About 12 Episodes Left! We Are Staying Up All Night Tonight And Hopefully Finish It. If Your Kid/Teenager Loves Anime, I Would Definitely Recommend This To Parents And Teenagers, Thank You

Adult Written bymyrab51 January 9, 2012

Brilliant, but for older teens

This is my all time favorite anime. I have seen it many times, and own the series. However, I have not let my 10 and 12 year old watch it.

Pros: The main characters are well developed. Throughout the series you do grow to feel like you know them, and what they are thinking. The stories are good. The characters are intelligent, and have good humor. The female characters are free thinking and independent. The group takes in a homeless child and cares for her. When the characters do show emotional sides, they are believable and not too sappy. They are kind to animals, and have a pet dog. The soundtrack really great. The show is just highly entertaining. It is a guilty pleasure.

Cons (from a family perspective): Some of the things that give the characters depth, are also things that would make you not want to invite them home to dinner around your kids. Although there is never sex on the show, the characters are sexual. Spike makes some comments sometimes such as "I love a woman that can kick my ...." Faye wears a bright yellow next to nothing outfit that is barely kept together by a pair of suspenders. She has very large breasts that barely fit in her top, and are occasionally a focus of attention. From time to time there are gender identity issues that come up. The child character is named Ed, and often confused for a boy. A supporting character was transgender. The main characters also have some bad habits which include smoking, drinking, gambling, shouting, cussing, and fighting. There are firearms, and people do get hurt with them. There is occasionally blood, death, and a one suicide.

Wrap up: If you are a fan of anime and rated R action genre movies, you may (probably will) like Cowboy Bebop. If that genre doesn't really do it for you, than you will probably want to pass.

Kid, 11 years old Written byXela9 December 9, 2010

This series is awesome!

I went to go watch at from the library and the whole thing was top-notch and good for kids. This series is awesome, and I recommend it for anyone who likes anime.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMangareader101 August 25, 2011

My ten year old brother loves it

This show is amazing! My brother, who is ten, loves this show and hates me when I delete any episode of the DVR. People who think that smoking and drinking are turn-offs need a life! Ive seen every episode atleast three times over.

Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares May 26, 2009

Not the best anime film, and I'm not usually a fan of the genre (not counting Studio Ghibli's children appropriate films), but I'm fascinated by Cowboy Bebop's film noir references and music influences.

Teen, 14 years old Written byvioletflames January 19, 2012

See you space cowboy :)

Cowboy Bebop is one of the best anime I have ever seen! While it may be amazing, it may not be appropriate for anyone under the age of 12. The fight scenes can get graphic, with lots of blood, but they usually aren't that bad. Faye wears a very skimpy outfit and she uses this to her advantage. There is one episode with a man who is now part woman because of an incident. The bebop crew smoke, drink, and gamble (Other than Ed and Ein, of course!.). Many episodes have a plot centered around, or including the bloody-eye drug. The plot may also be hard to follow for younger viewers or they may complain that there is not enough action in some scenes. Other than that, I would say that kids and teens 12 and up can and should watch this! They won't be sorry!

Adult Written byverum December 18, 2011

Great

A really, really good anime with a good English dub. It also features great music.

Kid, 12 years old Written byLOL....NO! May 3, 2012

amazing , 12 +

its nice , not very gory , has a original and epic story, highly recommended, has some good characters and music.