All member reviews for Law & Order: SVU

Grisly, sensationalized crimes; not meant for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byccv23 April 28, 2011

Great show! but not made for kids

This is a very entertaining but disturbing show. I started watching it when i was 10 and i enjoyed it but sometimes i would turn off the tv because it was too scary haha. This show was definetly not made for kids but i think teens can handle it. Almost every episode has educated and trained people bringing criminals to justice so it has some good messages.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymargret2u January 20, 2010

Great for ages 14+ if they understand the concept/ A no-no for ages 13 and below!

I like this show a lot, however, it can be very strong and confusing if the child does not understand the concept or hiatus of the crime. It's a crime show and anyone under the age of 14 shouldn't be watching it with a parent beside them.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNCIS September 24, 2009

Good for those without sexual inhibitions.

With not much violence, language, or nudity, I cannot see why people complain about how bad it is. Granted, they may have vivid description of rape and sex crimes; but always in a negative manner. They mainly talk about natural bodily functions.

Parent Written bysperryking July 9, 2011

Parents relax its great show for mature teens 12+

The series is a way to show what really happens everyday and how justice is or isn't served in a rather entertaining and interesting way.the suspenseful series leaves you wanting to watch more and may inspire older kids to potentially work in that field of work.(kids should know that it takes hard work and a long time to become a detective and handle crimes like the actors o the show do, also inform them that they have their share in heavy paper work and there is much more to being a cop)alot of parents choose to smuggle there kids and not introduce them to things in the real world thinking that there protecting them. if your child is 12+ years old they should be allowed to watch this show because it helps kids understand how justice should be served and they should always inform the police about crimes. and for the people who think no one under 17 should watch you need to realize that kids can handle more than you think and there gonna learn these things either on the show or on the streets. 16 is ridiculously close to a young adult and should be exposed to these type of situations so they can understand how to handle it. i know a girl(age 16) who recently and intentionally had unprotected sex because she didnt know that she could get pregnant when she's not on her period.The result of a very overprotecive parent who tried to mold her daughter into the perfect child by not letting educating her about dangers, sex and its consequences if not 12, 14 year olds should be aloud to watch it i've been watching this since i was 11

Parent of a 4 year old Written bysvufan March 23, 2011

OK for ages 9+ with a parent or other adult present

I think the show shows "real" problems and delivers positive messages for kids and teens; such as kidnapping, sexual abuse, child abuse, etc. I recommend to talk about these issues with your child before watching the show and watch it with him/her especially if they are younger. I also think it's important to teach kids about sexuality at a young age; just in an appropriate way and as they get older teach them about that sex generally should involve love and the difference between consensual and not consensual sex. Also, as far as language goes; kids here these terms already a lot on the streets and if they ask you what for example, SOB means just explain it to them and tell them that it's a bad word to use. This show can be very educational if watched correctly even by younger children.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKittehNomsU January 30, 2011

Educational in a sick way

Perfect to show kids who need a wake up call.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byclaudiaL January 21, 2010

thought-provoking and may stimulate useful debate with 16-17plus

Teen, 14 years old Written bytempagency October 16, 2010

Fantastic show!

I love this show!

Adult Written bymrs.black09 September 27, 2009

Defiinitely not for young teens and younger

I had been watching the original Law and Order since I was eight or nine without issue, so my usually very cautious mother thought it would be okay for me to watch SVU starting when I was about thirteen. That was a big mistake - I was an innocent kid who didn't know much about consensual sex but I was seeing all this stuff about rape and molestation - and it kind of skewered my views on sex. It kind of messed me up for several years. My Mom could tell I was upset by it and made me stop watching it, and I'm glad she did. Now I watch it every now and then, but it is disturbing even now! Even the original Law and Order is getting darker and darker - rent the first few seasons of the good old original on DVD instead of watching on TV if you have kids or young teens.

Adult Written byShivs January 2, 2011

Although the show does have a lot of grizzly crimes, it always has great quality performonces and positive messages. I also appreciate how the show honestly displays that although a crime may be solved, it doesn't guarantee a happy ending or that reconciliation will occur. I love SVU and find it interesting and engaging, but do understand concerns about its themes.

Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 December 15, 2009

really good show

One of the best shows out there

Teen, 13 years old Written byThreeDaysGracesGirl October 17, 2010

Love this show! Watching the marathon right now!

Haha, I'm watching the marathon right now, Law and Order: SVU. I LOVE this show!
"Iffy for ages 16-18"? Um, do you realize that 18 is an adult?

Give me a BREAK. That's ridiculous. Perfectly fine. There's a rating on the show for a reason, TV14.

Parent of a 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMarshall78 August 16, 2009

My Husband And I Love This Show!

I love this show. My husband and I record every eipsode and watch them after our kids go to bed. I started watching this the year it started. If I watch a certian eisode and don't think that its to bad my older kids might get to watch it.

Adult Written byA caring parent November 5, 2010

Definitely shouldn't be viewed by kids under 17.

While it may have the great message that you can go to police for help, it also exposes the viewer to the lowest depravity imaginable. Developing minds/sexual attitutes should NOT be watching this. It could really mess some young people up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byamber_jeanne September 7, 2010

i think it's good for kids that are 13 and older

i LOVE this show because it helps know the laws and other things it's not just about the bad things but the good things it teaches us too. There are a lot of good role models in it and not all the people are bad. it proves that even in the worst of times cops can help make it better.

Kid, 10 years old Written bycampcott4 September 15, 2009

not good for younger kids, oldies should be fine.

I thik this show tops 'em all, but them I mean other cop shows like CSI and 24. Even Prison Break can't top this. But, too much rape and killing may be too much for children not mature enough, 8 and under, expect nightmares about sex and killing.

Kid, 9 years old May 29, 2011

not for babies

law and order is about crimal justice

Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace July 4, 2011

A Show About Rape and other Sexual Offenses.

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is a realistic portrayal of the investigation and persecution of heinous sexual offenses. It is simply not made for kids. The majority of the episodes are more intense than many rated R movies. The crimes include elder abuse, child abuse, disabled person abuse, men raping men, women raping men, men raping transgenders, and men raping women. There is a lot of raping. It isn't for kids, and some people are better off never watching this show. But it is a well made, suspenseful, crime thriller.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPEMDAS November 7, 2010

Not at all good for younger kids, but mfine for middle aged teens

I think the age for this show is way to high. The violence and swearing isn't more often than any other crime show. There is a lot more sex, but it's usually more talk about sex, rather than graphic scenes. I think Law and Order SVU is okay for anyone 14 or older, but I have been watching it since I was ten.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDarkSoul24 April 9, 2008

Hmmmm............

well i watch it anytime it showz so i dont see y dey would rate it 16+ i watch it w/ my parents so personally i dont see a problem and plus it helps me be more aware of my surronding though i do suggest kids 8 and younger not watch this and plus i dont get scared im 12 going 13 so i kno almost everything they talk bout