All parent member reviews for Rocko's Modern Life

Adult Written byRockoWallaby September 9, 2011

Sexual Jokes Run Rampant

I recently bought season one of this show and having seen it, I can't believe that Nickelodeon got away with so much stuff we can't show in kid's cartoons today without at least (I think) a TV-PG rating.

If any of you did your research, the recently released DVD is not "intact" as far as content goes. One scene in "The Good, the Bad, and the Wallaby" is completely removed as it showed, when it first aired and since has had this correction, Heffer experiencing pleasure with a milking machine.

In "Skid Marks", the driving school that Rocko goes to has a watered-down video of a simulated car crash using tomatoes. The students cheer before the clip is shown and cry after the wreckage.

In "Bedfellows", there is a short clip of a nudist colony formed in Rocko's backyard. What has been done is that every time the offending body parts might come into view, an object quickly blocks those parts. The censoring for nudity is a bit inconsistent. Rocko can be seen fully nude in a shower scene in one episode but then is censored in another after an animated censor spots the problem and puts a black box in front of the offending areas; at one point the box falls done when we see Rocko face-first.

Parent Written byWhatTheyMissed September 30, 2011

Program was misrated!

From my examinations, this program should be rated TV-Y7!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byGoodSSJ July 15, 2011

Great Classic Nickelodeon Show

This Show Is Awesome And The Message Is Positive

Adult Written byneoking2002_neo September 5, 2010

Uses more adult humour than Ren & Stimpy.

Rocko's Modern Life is fun, yet sneaked in more adult humour than Ren & Stimpy did. I love Ren & Stimpy, but I LOVE Rocko even more. Great social behaviour, though.

Parent of a 1, 1, 4, 9, 9, and 16 year old Written byMariofan January 30, 2010

So cool!

When my son was 5 he stumbled across it watching nicktoons. He thought it was awesome! It was not until he was 9 that he noticed that Nicktoons should have kept the TV-Y7 rating for this show. He didn't get it when he was 5, but he sure did when he turned 9. I brought him a Rocko DVD pack when he was 8.

Adult Written byTommypezmaster March 17, 2009

Bring It Back

Nicktoon Network is dying & This show could be the anwser

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

So Funny.

This show is crazily funny! The theme song is REALLY catchy and the stories are SO entertaining!

Adult Written byddue2be April 9, 2008

Great mixed humor.

Humor for all ages, this is a great show!

Parent Written byImSpidey2 May 28, 2012

A really good show but parents should check it first.

This is my favorite Nicktoon, but I think parents should watch it before their children to see if it's okay.

Adult Written bySourGalaxy October 13, 2013

Great cartoon with some moderate edgy content

This 1990s Nickelodeon series focuses on Rocko, a young wallaby from Austrailia who lives out his modern life with his friends Heffer and Filburt. The show was very spot on in exaggerating bad things that happened in the adult world. Rocko is constantly getting held back by bills, his friends, his jobs and life in general. The show did a good job at parodying America without relying on too much pop culture. Now this show is noted for it's racy content and some of it is kind of crazy for a kids show. The features some cartoony violence like people hitting each other with blunt objects and fists but it isn't really that bad. Other instances involve vehicle crashes on screen and even a whole episode about plane crashes. Sometimes limbs were shown falling off with blood, but mostly in the first season. The language is pretty tame, but I have heard the word "hell" mentioned in one episode and it was written out on screen for about 30 seconds in another episode. Also Crap/Crappy were said in very few episodes, most notably "Fish and Chumps" where a guy was named Crappy Jack. Also replacement words were used like "Holy Spit!" or something to that effect. Probably the edgiest thing about this show was the innuendo. They got so much sexual content past the radar that I'm surprised this show lasted as long as it did. Stuff like people getting their crotch grabbed, overly emphasized breasts, side boob, and "balls" jokes were common in the series. Probably the biggest offense was the restaurant named "Chokey Chicken" having a strong presence throughout the series. However they considerably toned down the show in season 4, even removing the "Chokey Chicken" reference. Overall, the content will most likely fly past kids heads, but the cartoon violence and the "Chokey Chicken" may be much for younger kids. Also, this show surprisingly had a lot of smoking and some drug references in it. Only side characters smoked, and in one episode a baseball player gives Heffer a chewed piece of tabacoo. One episode featured Rocko getting high off a pill in detail. This show definitely doesn't deserve it's TV-Y rating and it should have been rated TV-G/TV-PG. But the edgy humor is pretty funny and the show has a lot of references to stuff an adult can relate to. It was pretty much the "Regular Show" of the 1990s. I feel this show was made more for adults as well as kids and it holds up surprisingly well to this day.

Parent Written bysumoni May 20, 2012

Fun classic from the 90s.

Super awesome 90s cartoon. I would highly recommend for family and kids. I will tell you as a 90s kid, all the adult humor flew over my head. One of the best cartoons that entertain all ages without talking down to kids. One character I did and still have a problem with is Heffer. He's one of the most selfish characters in the series. He eats all of Rocko's food, he barges in when he's not wanted, he's extremely greedy. Even though he remains Rocko's friend he rarely shows any remorse for his actions. If you want anything to discuss with your little one, it would be that character. Other than that, this will be a memorable show for everyone.

Adult Written byAllie Pierson April 26, 2012

Good to me!

I grew up watching this s*** and I was little!!

Adult Written byAl Jackson April 16, 2012

Edgy but good.

I think that Rocko's Modern Life was a GREAT show! It had great animation and funny jokes.There is some name calling and crude humor but other than it was a great cartoon!

Parent of a 3, 6, and 7 year old Written byMistyLomas November 10, 2009

Good for tweens and older, but not for younger kids.

I loved this show when I was young. I was 11 when I started watching it and even at that age it was riding the line. It is comparable to Ren and Stimpy (if you are familiar with that). I do not allow my kids to watch it because it is not the kind of role models I want my kids to emulate. Good, though, for older kids who can decipher the difference between real and fantasy.

Parent of a 12, 15, and 16 year old Written bywilliampson July 8, 2009

Very funny!

This show has been appealing to kids at a very young age, they may not understand the innuendo yet. In other words, the mature dialogue flows through one ear and out the other with kids who aren't mature yet. I had no concerns of my own kids watching this show because I knew that if it is on Nickelodeon, than I can trust it. There is an episode about recycling and I could see how that was kind of educational.

Adult Written byThe JP Show June 4, 2009

It's on the older side of TV-Y

Look, There is innuedo, like when one of Rocko's freinds pulled gum from his you-know-what. And a bloodstream from the same friend's nose. Besides that, It should be okay

Adult Written byprismamoon April 9, 2008

One of my own favorites

I was young when this show first made it's debut - about 11 or 12. I let my six-year-old watch it because she's mature for her age. Also, I monitored this and noticed that the references made to adult themes are so vague that they slip right by her, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Socially speaking I would say the best part of this show is in Rocko's continued friendly behavior towards his neighbor, Mr. Bighead, even though Mr. Bighead is pretty rude and cranky. One good episode that illustrates this dynamic is one in which Rocko decides to save some bugs that the Bigheads plan to eat for dinner . He has to use tact and cunning to keep his friends next door, but still get the little bugs out of the house.