All member reviews for The Backyardigans

Animal friends find melodious, kid-friendly adventures.

Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written bytwinzdad August 9, 2010

Let me start by saying I'm not a prude, nor some high and mighty know-it-all. Just a concerned parent. Backyardigans show has some good merits regarding friends and imagination play. They reinforce teamwork and helping one another...BUT, there is so much disrespectful talk and negative behavior that we are starting to cut our kids off from watching the program anymore. I have to screen shows before letting them watch. A song called "I Quit" teaches bad attitudes and my kids use it regularly during tantrums, and the Volcano Sisters are bossy and mean - also a common theme in their playtimes. There seems to be a lot of mean type of play in the show that my kids admit is usually centered around Uniqua. Admittedly it is not present in all episodes, but enough that it concerns me as a parent of young kids.

After a recent to Canada I'm reminded why good kids programming is so important to the positive development of children's young and impressionable minds. My children loved Treehouse and all the interactive shows, and how all the characters worked together to help learn and reinforce positive behavior. I would happily let my kids watch this without concern. Kids story lines (especially in American programming) has become more sophisticated than their minds can comprehend and tend to allow poor attitudes and "mean-kid" ideas be introduced because the character "sees the light" their actions in the end. Negative behavior has still been taught and reinforced by these cartoon role-models instead of introducing positive actions to reinforce working together in the first place. It seems that commercialized dribble wins out down here instead of a more conventional positive means of teaching.

Maybe this is why we have all forgotten how to help and take care of each other, and why we thrive on programming like "Housewives of...", and "Jersey Shores", etc. as adults. Where have the days of Fraggal Rock, Mr. Dress Up, and the old Hercules cartoons gone? Just good old fashioned positive programming!

Parent of a 2, 4, 10, and 11 year old Written bybpm01 December 11, 2010

Great show!

This is a cute, fun, and educational show. It really shows kids how to use their imagination. The music is decent too. I really like it and so do my kids. It is one of the better cartoons on these days.

Adult Written byLivCrayola4Ever May 20, 2011

From an Older Sister's Perspective: THE BEST!!!

I like the fact that the characters poke fun at stuff. It is mostly music. And, whaddya mean "older kids and adults are not likely to be as enthralled"? Me, my 16-year-old brother, my parents, and my little bro LOVE this show!!! (and the pink thing is NOT an alien. It is a Uniqua, a made-up species of animal. It's just like a spork weisel.)

Parent Written bymcole December 21, 2010

Good Themes, Great Music

Five friends imagine (child appropriate) adventures together in their shared back yard. Each episode features a different musical style.

Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byceilidog May 30, 2010

a family favourite with great music and songs

my youngest (2) loves the music, while my five year old still loves the music, characters and adventures the backyardigans get up to each episode. and as parents, this is one of the least annoying show out there... impressive music for a kids show, that will have you humming along with the songs too!

Parent of a 2, 4, and 14 year old Written bycydsmom April 20, 2010

Cutest, brightest, most engaging cartoon on TV

My kids love this show. We have every DVD and even my teenager is prone to picking one of these DVDs for her young siblings to watch over anything else. The characters are cute, imaginitive, and the music is good. My teenager makes fun of almost every preschool show on television, but admits to liking The Backyardigans. Notice that I keep mentioning DVDs; that's because Nick Jr has removed this show from their daily lineup. Big mistake. This is why we watch Disney Channel now.

Teen, 16 years old Written byteamjacobgirl2.0 March 21, 2011

My little sister loves this show, so that's the reason for the 4 stars :D

my little sister loves this show but, I've got one quesion, What is the pink thing supposed to be? Anyone have an idea beacuse I'm lost and I think its some kind of bug. :)

Parent of a 2 year old Written byLilybugsMom February 6, 2011

Fits a great big world into a little backyard!

We love The Backyardigans! These characters remind us that kids don't need an elaborate toy or play set in order to have a great time...in fact, they are probably much better off without them! Using nothing but their imaginations and (naturally) the backyard, the Backyardigans surf Tiki beach, travel the Nile, battle robots and swamp monsters, and much more. The songs have nice melodies and don't grate on adult ears. The variety of scenarios is likely to hold the most appeal for older kids. I think it could be an easy springboard for cultivating your child's more unique interests - a little one particularly fascinated by the pirate episode, for example, might have a great time learning about real life pirates or designing treasure maps. One caveat, the show can occasionally be scary for the under 4 crowd (though my 2 year old daughter doesn't seem to mind).

Parent Written bytigerfork July 27, 2011

Fun, imaginative show for little ones

Teen, 14 years old Written byDr.Pepsi May 28, 2011

Awesome TV Show

I love this show, it is educational!

Parent of a 2 year old Written bytbinney January 28, 2011

Great show, but still a SHOW

This is a great show in a lot of ways. The music is great, themes are fine, et cetera. But it is a show. Shows do not teach kids how to use their imagination. That is a fallacy. Imagination and creativity are nurtured only by using creativity and imagination, and shows, toys that light up and make noise, et al only constrain the creative process.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byshyviolet24 January 12, 2011

The Music is Fantastic

Love it, love it, love it! I fell in love with this program before I became a mom. My young cousins watched it when I would babysit, then we would go outside and act out the episodes. It was the first program my daughter watched. Even my husband enjoys the show and will sit down and watch it. We love the music and dancing, even own a couple of the music CDs. I love that my daughter has been introduced to so many different musical genres. Every episode has a new imaginative adventure and a different style of music to go along with it. They are always playing a new role that is appealing to children; astronauts, pirates, aliens, pilots, castaways, ghosts, detectives, trash collectors, mailmen, etc. My three year old loves to pretend and sing along. We LOVE the Backyardigans.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bymb1000 January 25, 2011

obnoxious behavior and language you don't want your child imitating.

while my 3 1/2 year old likes this show, I have to screen them and there are only a few that I let her watch, due to there is almost always a "mean" character who treats the others badly as well as obnoxious language that my kid immediately uses, which results in more parenting battles for me. Despite the mean person always seeing the error of their ways - that part is lost on my child, the bad behavior is the only thing reinforced. The different music genres are the only redeeming quality. She also finds it scary at times.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byBPBury1970 January 21, 2011

Absolutely recommend

My son loves it, but @ 5 years old he's starting to prefer more action-oriented fare, like The Transformers cartoon. Still, we love the songs and have all of the music on our ipod. The songs are really catchy. The stories are well-crafted and have lots of humor. There is a real intelligence at work here that you don't get in other shows. Overall, I think it's heads and shoulders above most kids TV out there.

Teen, 13 years old Written byF-Zero studios August 30, 2010

awesome it's also perfect for my sister to watch

now this a very cute show

Kid, 11 years old Written byFangbite91 June 1, 2011

Very cute show!!!

I think this is a very good show for kids! Miranda Cosgrove lover, please stop lying about these shows, this show is not pathetic. It is very cute and entertaining, Its all about friendship. I like the theme song. I used to love this show and I still love it! Anybody especially Miranda Cosgrove lover who hates this show or does not like it needs to shut up. This show is so wonderful! Why does it have 3 stars? It should be the best because it is so good for everybody, positive messages, It has even better messages than Dora. Nick JR. ,Thank you for making this show. Lots of people love it!!! I think this is the best show for all ages, Educational, good role models and positive messages have been sent to cute tiny little beings all around the world! Love it!!!!!!

Parent of a 3 year old Written byzippy07 October 28, 2010

My three year old loves the show but when he started having a fear of the ocean after an episode involving sharks and started using aggressive, sassy language used by the characters I've decided it's probably not appropriate for him anymore.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byThomasMommy October 7, 2010

Great tunes, dancing and just FUN to watch!

My son loves it and has since he was 2, and it doesn't torture us parents to watch it. My son loves music and the Backyardigans are always singing and dancing. It is not particularly educational, but it's great fun for my son.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byeyoungmom September 5, 2010

entertaining.

Not really educational, but entertaining. I think my husband enjoys it more then our daughter!

Kid, 10 years old Written byavatar123 August 15, 2010

perfect for all ages

i rate this for todders,kids, and for parents