All member reviews for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Just as charming and curious as it was in 1985.

Adult Written bydaveng April 9, 2008

very funny

this movie is mostly zany, comical and off the wall. There are a few points that might be objectionable - there's one scene where an ex-con wields a gun, there's a scene in a bar where the patrons (a biker gang) talk about hanging and killing pee wee for knocking over their bikes (the bikers are more cartoonish then realistic, and eventually become friends with pee wee). In the bar, people are consuming alcohol. In an earlier scene, there's some very, very mild sexual innuendo between pee wee and a waitress.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Great, Bizarre, and Hilarious!

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a hilarious film, and it's worth noting that this is Tim Burton's first movie, and it's a great start for a great director. It's approrpiate for kids about 5 or older, although the scenes with the creepy clowns and Large Marge may be a bit too creepy. Pee Wee says 'crappy' and 'burn in hell' is sang in a song.
Good for kids 5 or 6+

Kid, 12 years old Written bySosie98 June 24, 2010

Loved this movie. I've watched it like five times. His awesome humor is so stinking cool!!! Love it!!!

Adult Written bybdh July 3, 2011

good movie

funny family movie

Adult Written byBobslob April 9, 2008

GREATEST MOVIE EVER!

This movie has aleays been one of my favorites!!! I love it! PeeWee is the funniest guyu around and he doesn't shy away from the serious stuff either. I can't believe Paul Reubens hasn't become more of a star after this movie because the humor is great and the jokes keep me laughing for hours on end. When PeeWee jumps on his bike and rides through the movie sets and a dinosaur falls in Santas slay, I can't believe what I'm watching! Great for everyone!

Parent Written byjknoxwhite April 9, 2008

Wacky Fun for the whole family

Some of the jokes may go over the head of kids under 10, but the unique humor grabs everyone.

Adult Written bykabahuss April 9, 2008

Kid, 10 years old Written byebmac2 April 9, 2008

i loved it

sweet and charming thats all i have to say

Kid, 12 years old Written byHowISeeIt June 20, 2011

5 stars!

I just love this movie! It's totally safe and innocent and Paul Reubens (Pee Wee) is a hilarious classic character. It's perfect for the whole family.

Kid, 11 years old Written bynickelmcpickle August 15, 2009

Teen, 15 years old Written bywillbarchi April 9, 2008

woo! Cult Classic!

oooh, what a great movie. The breakfast machine and large marge are all classic scenes. Some parts are questionable...
Pee-wee can be bratty and crazy at times
(mainly around Francis) and there is abit of mild language...(pee-wee says crappy, hell is used aswell as some violent language used by the bikers...) and some scary scenes (large marge always freaks me out and those clowns are creepy!) Overall, a hilarious movie for everyone to enjoy

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 21, 2010

fine for 8+

It was just enough to pass despite my concern for the movie itself.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymo_cubsfan November 5, 2010

my kids love this movie and so do I

Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 25, 2011

Not Bad At All

Pee-wee says "crap". That is it for language. The only thing even a little bit bad is that at one point in the movie, Pee-wee says he's a "rebel" which brings up gangs and so forth. Other than those elements, the movie is not bad at all.

Adult Written bymrbob April 9, 2008

Kid, 8 years old September 29, 2010

After i watched this movie, i LOVED Pee-Wee. He is the best role model, but the h word in the song should have been edited to "heck". Violence is more audible. Warner Bros. Studios appears (as in Looney Toons: Back in Action). This is a good review except its appropriate for 7 and up.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny April 13, 2011

Super funny!

If there was anyone weirder and wackier than Peewee Herman I would be very well surprised. I never really thought much about Peewee before, but after this movie I do. He is now one of my favorite children's television icons. The movie itself is highly entertaining and comedic. I found the part where Peewee was trying escape on his bicycle laugh-out-loud funny. Where the Santa Clause and Godzilla are being dragged on the sleigh. The movie is moderately child-friendly. There is a kissing scene in Peewee's movie, he also says "crappy", and "burn in hell" sung over and over again in one part, but it isn't that bad compared to other movie's I've seen before. It may not be a classic, but it is for me.

Parent Written byseverus23 May 9, 2012

Nightmarish!!!

Commonsense is way off on this one, I think. There are a number of very scary scenes, Large Marge in particular. With a mounting sense of foreboding, Marge (while driving PeeWee in a big semi) recounts the story of a disturbing, gruesome, & fatal accident; at the end, her face suddenly and massively deforms in a very disturbing way, plus it's jump-out-of-the-closet shocking. (Turns out Marge was the one in the accident, and is now a ghost.) Totally freaked my 8 y old out, not to mention myself! Google "large marge" and you'll find plenty of people reminiscing about how this scene was the scariest thing in their entire chilldhood. Avoid until they're older.

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byCarolina-Mom March 20, 2012

Pee-Wee is classic!

I've loved this movie since it was first released. I recently showed it to my two daughters, ages 11 and 7, and they laughed hysterically through the whole thing. There is one scene that is mildly scary. It involves a big rig on a dark highway. I warned my younger daughter when we got to that part, and she ended up laughing through it. I really thought it would freak her out and give her nightmares, but she was fine. There are also a few other questionable scenes, one with a biker bar and one with an escaped convict. But it was all exagerrated to the point of rediculousness. This movie is so silly. You can't help but laugh at it just because of how crazy it is, and at his goofy expressions. To make it even better, the musical score was done by Danny Elfman.

Parent Written byRebecca2221 April 22, 2013

Caution to even the not-so-sensitive viewers.

I missed seeing this when it came out in 1985, so I didn't know what to expect. After reading the review on commonsense.org, it seemed like it was something our family might enjoy. My 7 year old, who does not spook easily, had nightmares from the movie, so the warnings in the review were a little understated. There is a truck driver whose eyes pop out of her head - a moment that was scary to ages 7, 10, and parents. Also, there is some inappropriate behavior and language and smoking. All in all, I regretted hitting play within 3 minutes of the movie starting and that feeling never went away. There's no harm in passing on this one!