Parent reviews for Signs

Signs Poster Image

The "Signs" of a great film

"Are we are the type of people who see luck or who see miracles? Are there such things as coincidences?" These are the questions that will be swimming through your brain for hours after you watch this movie, which is a much more productive thought process then, “Blood...guts...” like your typical alien/horror movie. This is why this film is an amazing success: We get asked one of the most important question in life by characters we love and trust. We have seen them developing throughout the film. I found myself wanting to believe as they do! With this question of faith, this film is able to crack our “movie comfort level” just enough for us to begin to think deeper and bigger about life's important issues. And that, is the sign of a good film. It is perfect for families and children to bond together and help kids develop stronger moral values.

My 11 Year Old's All Time Favorite Movie

This is my eleven year old daughter's "all-time favorite movie," and has been since she first saw it at age 8. It is truly unique among alien invasion movies because it's not really about the aliens at all, or their amazing technology, or their horrid plans for the planet - its about people, and about faith, and about how God never abandons us, even when we think He has, or even when we wish He would. Be warned, hereafter, there be spoilers. Graham Hess is a Pastor who has rejected his faith because of the pointless death of is wife, but who still has two kids to raise, both of whom have issues of their own. His son suffers from asthma - which both nearly kills him and saves his life before the movie is over, and his daughter has some obsession or phobia which results in her leaving glasses of unconsumed water all over the house because they're "contaminated." In the end, it's her phobia which may save them all. Tying it all together is Graham's brother, a washed up minor league baseball player known for both his monumental home-runs and his colossal strike-outs, who, in my opinion, provides far more strength both to Graham and his children than any of them realize. (Oh, and by the way, you'll never look at static interference on a baby monitor the same way again.) The movie does provide some genuinely scary moments and overall has a tense atmosphere which plays heavily on the fear of the unknown. Some of it might bother younger children (though I think the talk about the stabbed dog is overblown - and as I inferred above, it certainly didn't bother my daughter when she was 8), but for older children it's a powerful movie about love and faith - not losing it in the face of disaster, and re-finding it in the face of Grace.

Waiting till they're older

I thought this was a great movie, but a little scary for kids.

Very suspenseful. Supernatural. Sci fi

Disturbing plot. Scary. Don't see any real violence, other than the dog being stabbed. Just very very suspenseful. Characters do jump out. My favorite M Night. Joaquin Phoenix does an amazing job, even though Mel Gibson is the star.

Wonderful movie

I loved this movie! It had strong family-values, and good themes in it. It could be a bit frightening for younger viewers, however, so I don't recommend it for those under around 14. For those mature enough to handle it, though, this movie is excellent.

1 person found this helpful.

Very good a little scary

Great story telling and science fiction but found it was too scary (11 year old review)

Fantastic directing. One of my favorite movies💛

This movie is so well scripted and directed. All the actors are outstanding, even the kids. I loved the way the story's elements tied together in the end. I also appreciated that the aliens weren't overdone the way they often are in other movies. Great balance of plot, dialogue, humor, and heartbreak. I was touched by the positive message of having a close-knit family supporting one another. And--spoiler alert--the message that there are no coincidences.

Worst movie I have ever seen

It is so bad no action super slow super cringe about 3 minutes of action in the whole movie and not scary I love m night shymalan but this was terrible.

If Independence Day was low budget

Made the decade before handheld alien streaming movies invaded Amazon. A look at what could happen if an ordinary farm family get´s visit by aliens. Just like Mars Attacks and cheap old UFO movies this is not for everyone.

Big Time Epic Fail!!!

This movie sucked! I hated it! It is two hours I will never be able to get back! I am a big fan of horror movies, and I was excited to see some really good suspense in this movie with aliens and cornfields (the cornfields being like “Children of the Corn”). Instead, it wasn’t mainly about the aliens and the violence. Instead, it was about a man who doesn’t believe in things too easily. That was an hour and a half I will never get back! I love many films by M. Night Shymalan, including “The Sixth Sense”, “Unbreakable”, “Split”, and “Glass”, but this is one of Shymalan’s worst films! Do not waste your time with this movie! It is boring and poorly-developed! One star is more than a generous rating.