Parent reviews for Scratch

Scratch Poster Image

Absolutely AWFUL

My overall experience with Scratch is absolutely awful. I used Scratch for several years and it started out okay. My overall experience learning code with it went pretty well. However, I believe some significant improvements could be made with their moderation. The moderation on Scratch is absolute CHAOS. The moderators (so called "Scratch Team..") have sent warnings and bans to so many users for completely illegitamate reasons. Even if the reasons aren't even against their "community guidelines." It happens a LOT and I am absolutely fed up with being banned so many times for the dumbest reasons. I cannot peacefully use this website without being in constant fear that my next ban is coming. Additionally, I've tried to appeal my bans and they have been BLOCKING MY EMAILS!!! Also, one time when I tried to appeal one of my bans, they said something that basically implied that I was a danger to their site and they LITERALLY told me to grow up and go educate myself. In short, Scratch is not a good choice for children or students mainly because of their terrible moderation and lack of professionalism. In case you're wondering, I have given up on Scratch entirely and do not plan to use it again.
6 people found this helpful.

Useless and brainless

User service is awful!!! Scratch had detected the word password through one of my sons comments which wasn't given as a personal password but as a group's password and it blocked him for 3 days. Later, they detected the same comment and banned that account for the same exact reason that they blocked it for previously. He hadn't shared any passwords or codes since and he got banned for doing nothing!! Screw scratch and everything to do with it. "It has no use in real life and the clearly don't know what the he** they're doing". Stay away from this if you can read!!! - as stated by my son
5 people found this helpful.

AWFUL moderators

Ok, I have a bit of a long story so buckle in. I really like the way the coding works. Coming from the point of view of someone who has basically no experience with code, it works pretty well. The tools are easy to learn and I'm a bit better at coding now. The scratch moderator team sucks. Let me tell you my story on this website. I started a religion as a joke. It was called "Clickstianity" and it was really funny. I was very clear that I was not discriminating against other religions, I was very nice to literally everyone, and I got permanently banned. First, my original animation about the religion was taken down automatically because people mass-reported it. They said they would put it under review and that it should be back up soon. It never came back up. I made a new animation, same thing happened. The newest one I made did not actually taken down, which was good because I spent a lot of time on it. One user, was overly christian and was harassing me about my religion calling it "fake" and a "cult". I told someone else about this through scratch and was banned for a week for "spreading rumors". I waited out my week ban and got back. I made some more projects and eventually got 100 followers. There were always people who would be toxic and hate on me, but I dealt with it. A few days later I was banned AGAIN for "spreading rumors". Whenever you get banned, it shows an example of the message that got you banned. I got banned for the same message that I already got banned for! I wrote an appeal, it only took them a few days to respond. Their response: Hi there, The Scratch website is a website that serves as an educational resource for children and their parents, teachers and their students, and people new to programming to learn about programming skills. But when we see users who have been blocked and notified so many times, we start thinking that they're not really interested in Scratch anymore, and we can no longer trust them. Based on your past history on the Scratch website, we don't think you'll be able to follow our Community Guidelines. Your account(s) will not be unblocked. Please do not use or make any Scratch accounts. Why??? They then proceeded to IP ban me, and any of my fans who were associated with the religion.
4 people found this helpful.

website that picks favorites,can't take jokes and doesnt care about users.

Ignore all the good reviews the coding is decent however the drawing software isn't great and it can be glitchy, the coding does not make up for the horrendous moderation. I joined scratch awhile ago when a friend introduced me to it. I was excited to start animating and making games however one day I got banned on a account for roleplaying. I was roleplaying a character from a tv show and roleplayed dating with another account which I shrugged off as "ok i guess that makes sense" even though I tried to rexplain it was a roleplay they didn't excuse it but unbanned by account. I thought this was the end but my account got banned again and then again and what do you know I was permanently banned. Mostly for stupid reasons like venting (which many other people did) instead of actually caring about my response they sent a stupid automated response that said "we won't unban you" I found this unfair I was just a kid and after you re banned for the 3rd time they ip ban you and you can never make a new account again which is unfair on a website for kids which can easily break rules. Now its been years, they blocked my email so I can't make a new account. Once your account is banned for the first time don't bother going back because they will look for any small reason to ban you until you get banned for 3 times and its permanent. You can get warnings for the stupidest things and mutes for no reason. one time I got muted for trying to say "good project" on a post. The moderation is extremely strict and don't bother making good hard worked on projects or you will eventually get banned. The only way to avoid this? don't comment on anything and don't interact with anyone.

3 people found this helpful.

Scratch.com Review

So, Scratch is um... Scratch is not a very good site. From what I see, they teach you wrong concepts. Programming in Itself is not dragging blocks and making an orange cat say "Hello world". There is "Visual Programming", but that is messy and It's hard to get around. I mean, common. This doesn't even have functions(I might be wrong). This is not a good site to learn, and will be in no use. I would suggest learning Python. It has an easy Syntax, and It will help students start there path toward data science careers, or any other programming career. I learned Python, and now I use it all the time for personal projects. I use C for work. It really helped kick start my career, and I want the same for everyone who is willing to work hard. Scratch is not going to help you, It didn't help me.
3 people found this helpful.

Recomend it

Okay so I see a bunch of people saying bad things about the scratch team and I can understand your irritation. But with so many people playing they are only trying to keep the cummunity safe. It's really easy to code in scratch and I have a lot of fun do totaly recomend it!
2 people found this helpful.

Almost, but not quite a social media

Scratch is a website where anyone can post creations they make with drag and drop coding and share it with others. I don't see anything wrong with Scratch ('most' of the community has good intentions, I got banned for just saying heck, and is highly moderated - anything not appropriate gets reported instantly)

Very good!

My 10 yr old is on this site all the time.

Scratch is amazing.

My 10 year old daughter found Scratch and told me she wanted to play it. Since I trust her, I told her yes. Then she started figuring out Scratch and even saw this amazing project called "Flow OS". She loved that project she made a remix of it. She is now making some of the best projects in Scratch, and amazes me. Thank you Scratch for being kid friendly!

2 people found this helpful.

Moderation is bad, other than that great

Its really good except for moderation which when I made an account I got banned for a reason that I forget and I did nothing wrong. If you can please tell ST that they need to loosen moderating.

1 person found this helpful.