Thursday, April 4, 2019,
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies
640 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
See map: Google Maps
9:00 a.m.: Register
9:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.: Speakers and panels
5:00 p.m.: Closing
About the Event
At the second annual Truth About Tech conference in Washington, D.C., Common Sense is leading the conversation around the present—and future—of kids' digital well-being. By engaging policymakers, educators, technologists, and child health experts, we can work together to identify and back solutions for technology that supports its youngest and most vulnerable users: kids.
In partnership with Georgetown University, Common Sense is convening a broad range of experts across sectors to reflect on these ever-evolving issues, explore new opportunities, and learn from each others' successes, challenges, and unique perspectives.
Want to watch the following sessions? You can find them here.
- 9:15 a.m.: Welcome
- 9:30–10 a.m.: Opening Remarks
- Hon. Ed Markey, U.S. senator of Massachusetts
- 10–10:45 a.m.: Staying Connected: Tech and Social Relationships
- Dr. Vivek Murthy, 19th surgeon general of the United States
- in conversation with James P. Steyer, CEO and founder, Common Sense
- 10:45–11 a.m.: Break
- 11–11:15 a.m.: Enforcing COPPA: Are We Protecting Kids' Privacy?
- Rohit Chopra, FTC commissioner
- 11:15–12 p.m.: You Are the Product: The High Cost of a Free Internet
- Franklin Foer, The Atlantic
- Nicol Turner-Lee, Brookings Institution
- David Vladeck, Georgetown University Law Center
- Cecilia Kang, New York Times (moderator)
- 12–12:45 p.m.: Lunch
- 12:45–1:10 p.m.: Holding Tech Accountable
- Hon. Karl Racine, Attorney General of Washington, D.C.
- 1:10–1:45 p.m.: Building Movements: Mobilizing the Power of Tech
- Cameron Kasky, co-founder, March for Our Lives
- in conversation with Elizabeth Galicia, Common Sense
- 1:45–2:30 p.m.: Future Tech: Raising Kids in the AI Age
- Jakki Bailey, University of Texas
- Sandra Calvert, Georgetown University
- Justine Cassell, Carnegie Mellon University
- Michael Robb, Common Sense (moderator)
- 2:30–2:45 p.m.: Break
- 2:45–3:30 p.m.: Trust & Tech: Disrupting Monopolies
- Roger McNamee, co-founder of Elevation Partners
- Barry Lynn, Open Markets Institute
- Angela Campbell, Georgetown University Law Center (moderator)
- 3:30–3:45 p.m.: Closing the Homework Gap
- Jessica Rosenworcel, FCC commissioner
- 3:45–4:30 p.m.: Digital Equity: Ensuring Access and the Making of Digital Citizens
- Rachel Barr, Georgetown University
- Lisa Guernsey, New America
- Tina Plaza-Whoriskey, Child Trends
- Amina Fazlullah, Common Sense (moderator)
- 5:00 p.m.: Closing
Schedule subject to change.