Kid reviews for A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

Unforgettable story of young boy forced to become a killer.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 15 years old Written byVT Hokies January 25, 2021

Powerful and horrific

I can't comfortably say that this book is good without mentioning how painful it is. It is an extremely hard read and is not for the faint of heart. However, if you can read this, do it. It is very important to a knowledge of what some children went through and some still go through.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLevel-Headed Re... January 2, 2021

Extremely Mature- But Great Values

I originally read this book when I was 10, and now reading it at 13 for a school project, it would have been a lot better to wait to read it. Although I only remember kids doing drugs, a huge amount of gore, and one short mention of forced intercourse at gunpoint (a mother and son were forced to do it for the rebels amusement), and a true story about a young boy in a warzone in Africa. It reveals a lot about the tough life that child soldiers have, and a personal view of life in rural Africa. Now reading it, I can have a personal connection with the author, and realize now it is a great book. It definitely should be geared towards MATURE teens, as some of the things in this book are not for everyone.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byCade537 April 27, 2018

An important book but not for everyone

I read this book during a global issues project for school and it is probably one of the greatest books I have ever read. It is an amazing true story about a real child solider who fought in the Sierra Leone army when he was thirteen. This is a very well-made book but not everyone will be able to handle the heavy subject matter. There are themes of drugs, rape, torture, PTSD and a lot of graphic violence so no one should read it before high school. If you think you can though I very much recommend it because the book really does spread awareness and Ishmael Beah is an amazing person.

Educational Value