Kid reviews for A Song of Fire and Ice (A Game of Thrones) Series

Dark, violent epic upends the usual fantasy clichés.

Teen, 14 years old Written byviolet246 May 15, 2016

Think about your personal maturity level

I'm 14 and reading Game Of Thrones. People say it's got too much sex and violence even for teens, but I think it depends on the kid's maturity level. I mean, it's an epic read and around 14 people already know all the things in this book (rape, murder, incest) are present in the real world, so if you're under 17 and don't get too uncomfortable with a few sex scenes and a bit of gore, go for it! It's really worth it!

Teen, 17 years old Written byJflores14 April 14, 2016

Exciting fantasy for older teens; not as bad as people say

This epic fantasy is perfect for fans of eragon or lord of the rings. It's interesting, shocking, and extremely dramatic. Reads like a soap opera. CONTENT: VIOLENCE- nothing overt, but lots of battles, killing, and action(nothing worse than lord of the rings movie content). SEX- the story revolves around incest, affairs, and sometimes rape. There are scenes of incestuous sex, oral sex, and innappropriate touching throughout the entire series. These descriptions are not overly graphic, they are usually described more poetically than in an erotic way. LANGAUGE- hell, damn, ass, shit,bitch, bastard, c**t, c**ksucker, f**k, and everything in between. The langauge is not the grituitous since the book is over 800 pages long MY RATING: R- for pervasive violence and sexual content, some nudity, langauge, and mature subject matter

Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2016

NOT THAT BAD

OK these other reviews talking about how this book has heavy heavy sexual content is really a huge exaggeration this book is fine for that matter. It does have heavy violence and swearing but those are things the mature teen can handle

Teen, 14 years old Written bybenkitching13 May 18, 2016

Poorly Stereotyped

In simple terms, "A Song of Ice and Fire" receives a negative reputation purely due to it's association with the ongoing television series which is based on the novels. Potential readers should note whilst the content in "A Game of Thrones" is by no means tame; it's considerably tamer than that featured in the show. Sex scenes are infrequent and vague (though the context of the scenes e.g. incest and underage sex may provide difficult to read for some). Violence is bloody, though not overly graphic. Language, however, may be seen as a greater issue as every piece of profanity imaginable appears (both in and out of occasionally sexual contexts) over the course of the book. However, people fortunate enough to have read "A Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire" will find themselves thoroughly immersed and enriched by the material.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPendragon968 February 19, 2017

Incredible book series is extremely disturbing at points

While I love these books very much I will make a list of extremely inappropriate scenes in these books (WARNING INAPPROPRIATE) A character is raped by their brother next to their son's corpse A character is raped by dogs and then another character is forced to go down on her after A character is tortured and castrated over the course of multiple books Heavy use of vulgar language (mostly from a few characters) Brutal description of violent acts Detailed description sexual scenes

Teen, 13 years old Written byteen_tventhusiast June 22, 2016

Amazing Story for Teens with High Levels of Maturity

The "A Song of Ice and Fire" series gets a bad rap in terms of it's appropriateness. However, the story is absolutely amazing for fantasy fans or book lovers in general. If your child shows interest in the series and shows high levels of maturity, then they can certainly handle reading the book. The first two out of the five books written deal strongly with certain aspects of incest, rape, and characters often visit "brothels" which are also known as the house of prostitutes. There is drinking and brutal violence in forms of battle. There is swearing, but not too often. If your child can handle reading in little detail about such things and can maturely discuss problems involving things like incest, power, drinking, battle etc, then your teen will enjoy the book despite the language and sexual nature of certain parts. Overall, this series has a great story and when immersed in this fantastical world where dragons fly, war is near, power is everything, and winter is coming, you become so connected to the characters and settings of the books which help you enjoy the book more. I began reading the series at age 11 and began watching the show at nearly age 14 soley because my parents believe I am mature beyond my years and I have been told so many times by teachers, etc. Keep in mind that THE SHOW IS WORSE! If your child asks for permission to watch the show, you can respond based on their age and maturity and your comfort levels. I would buy the set of 5 books for your child if they express interest in the story. It is truly a wonderful story, but unfortunately the story was written for young adults and does contain sexual references, swearing, drinking, and violence.

Teen, 17 years old Written byAntimage December 15, 2017

Teen, 14 years old Written byeviethereader January 9, 2017

Such a good series

It is not cliché at all, and George R R Martin does an excellent job getting into the characters' heads to understand their motivations. Although it is dark, and has sexual and violent scenes, it is such a great series.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydeliathefairy November 27, 2017

Mature

This is one of my favorite series. It's has a lot of detail (though some people would probably argue that there's too much) and a has a perfect amount of magic without going overboard. The characters' motives are convincing and relatable, the world is huge and intricate, and the plotline easily hooks readers. It's filled with very graphic sex scenes and cruel, disgusting deaths, but that stuff isn't there as much to lure readers in as it is to just make the world realistic. Maturity level varies from person to person, of course, but fifteen seems like a pretty good age for reading the series.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDFerrusquia December 24, 2016

Between 13-15+, Depending on Maturity Level

If your teenager is eager to watch the show on HBO, but you feel that he/she is too young, the books are more tame and just as, if not more, entertaining than the show. High school freshmen taking a Western Civilization/World History class may find parallels between some of the events in the series and some events in history. These books deal heavily with the nature of humans as each house fights to become more powerful than the others, often leading them to make immoral choices. The Starks, due to being the most noble family, often get the short end of the stick, and their story involves tragedies left and right. This inevitably leads them to make more questionable choices as the story progresses. Overall, A Song of Ice and Fire is a great choice for mature teenagers who can handle an, often disturbingly, realistic view of human characters.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAYEAYE October 19, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written byGharial100 June 30, 2018

Amazing but mature

I found the A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) series very graphic in their description of sexual intercourse and the like but this can be skipped over as most scenes don't have important plot stuff happening. For those who aren't allowed/don't want to/can't handle watching Game of Thrones but still want to know what's going on, this is a great alternative. I've seen a review say that a woman's brother rapes her beside their son's corpse. While this is definitely rape in the tv show, in the books she only protests for a couple of seconds because she doesn't want to be found as they are in a sept (it's a church for the religion in the books). I started reading at the age of 13 and was fine, I was grossed out by the sexual stuff because I had never read anything like it before but, as another reviewer said, it was written in a poetic way rather than an erotic way. As for educational value, this book is very well written which is great for aspiring writers to learn off, I have also heard that the Lannister-Stark stuff is based of the War of the Roses. In terms of great messages/role models, while many of the characters are cruel people, even the Lannister's protect their family and the Starks have good morals - although they do have repercussions from being too trusting. All in all, it really depends on maturity and it is a personal choice.

Teen, 16 years old Written byAussiecait February 23, 2018
I think that this is an increadible book so far however I am only half way through book 1. I usually hate reading however this was great because of the different story lines and perspectives. As well as this the book has a bit of everything, while remaining believable. I do however think that some of the content is only appropriate for mature teens because some of the content may be confronting to some. Perhaps if any parents are worried about the content they should read some of the book and decide for your child.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySmolBatNumber46 November 26, 2017

Beautiful. An incredible ride for adults and older teens

This is an amazing work of literature that EVERYONE should read. At some point in their lived. It definitely has some questionable stuff (I.e. someone shoving a child of a building, beheadings, rape, abuse). George R. R. Martin does a fantastic job of creating 3D characters, which means they have their strengths and goodness, but they also have their flaws and evil. For example, Viseris (*cringes*) abuses his little sister Daenerys and insults the Dothraki, but he only wants to be king and it corrupts him. Another is Sansa, who is loving and sweet and wants everything to be like the songs, which causes her to hurt her sister, Arya, and trust Joffery and the Queen to easily (SPOILIER: who end up beheading her father. SPOILER OVER). This book can be quite violent: beheadings, war, rape, abusive family members, abusive mentors, and evil Others who kill whole villages. There is also some sex (Dany and her husband has sex, which results in pregnancy, Joffery talks of impregnating Sansa when she becomes fertile, an affair between twins). Despite all the sex and violence, there are some redeeming qualities. Ned Stark is a VERY noble man and will do what is right for the country, even though it lead to his down fall. Tyrion Lannister helps Bran once he becomes disabled so he can ride again. Catelyn Stark does what’s right for her children and mentors Robb when he leads Winterfell into war. Daenerys loves her husband, her baby, and her people and does what she can to protect them. She even tries to save the women who the Dothraki are raping when they win the battle. In all, this book has its good, but the bad parts can be too explicit and extreme for younger kids. Thanks for reading!

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 September 6, 2017

Excellent series, very graphic

So this is a great book, the violence is very graphic, but since its a book, its not to bad, maybe PG-13 or a light R. The sexual content however is very graphic. Not near as b ad as the tv show, but still very very graphic, perverse, incest, rape, so on. Theres also a lot of violence, and disturbing content, and the books are notorious for killing off its lead characters.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNovafan789 July 10, 2017

Good book but overrated

the song of ice and fire series is a confusing one. the story is good but the author was too ambitious in making a super deep, connected to a humongous history story. the history of westeros was completely screwed up by George R.R Martin taking this story too far into the past. jon snow is a good role model of showing that even if you are unwanted, a mistake, etc that you can do whatever your heart desires. the violence is heavy but in this world it is full of savages at every corner. their is 2-4 sex scenes per book, besides the last 2 im pretty sure those only have like one. the swearing is perfect for the world it is portrayed in. The story is hard to understand which is why I would say 15 and up. I read these when I was 12 and I could only piece together a fragment of the story.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMischa_Marrett January 7, 2018

Amazing book that teens shouldn't miss out on

I am 14 and I've just finished reading a game of thrones. I loved this book and how intricate the plots and characters are. There are some sex scenes but they aren't that detailed and there is also some violence. However the books defiantly aren't as bad as people say the series is and teens who aren't allowed to read this are defiantly missing out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHarley Targaryen January 4, 2018

Exceptional!

This is my favorite book series of all time! This series is filled to the brim with sex, nudity, incest, rape, violence etc. But this also has empowering women, and A great underdog (Jon Snow).

Teen, 14 years old Written byHannah101 December 11, 2017

Game of Thrones Gripping Story But For No One Below Ages 14 Or 15

Game of Thrones great read but includes some inappropriate parts throughout. I would not recommend this to anyone below ages 14-16 depending on their emotional maturity

Teen, 15 years old Written byMollyMae February 6, 2019

Hear me out...

Honestly I think that any child who is above the age of 14, has a good mindset, a good understanding of bad things, and a good set of morals your child should be able to read this series. And it does vary for each person, and some teens have different maturity levels than others, so you need to make that decision and decide if your child is mature enough and has an understanding of what is okay and what is not. -Lots of violence -lots of swearing(but nothing your teens hear at school) -and some sexuality, but not graphic or descriptive