Kid reviews for A Study in Charlotte: Charlotte Holmes, Book 1

Drugs, rape, murder in tense, edgy Holmes-Watson update.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 14 years old Written byInfamousVoiceofLogic June 8, 2017

Amazing Book

I can't give this book more glowing praise. I read it at 13 and I'm not even slightly scarred. It had its violence but it's not like the author threw in some extraneous decapitated corpses 'cause she can. And if you have not yet realized, your child knows curse words, is constantly exposed to them if you send them to school on a regular basis, and likely uses then himself or herself. Like the violence, the sexual content was sparse and firmly nestled into the plot and not gratuitous or explicit. CSM fails to mention that the rape that occurs was referenced only in flashback, (which is odd because they usually do when that is the case), and we are only told that it occurred. It did not happen to the character that narrates the story and the victim never reveals any details of the event whatsoever. The only pertinent content that may be inappropriate for immature teens is Charlotte's almost constant drug usage. She abuses Oxy, other unnamed pills, and probably alcohol and other drugs but I don't remember specifically. Nothing good for her comes of the drugs (she was raped under the influence of Oxy) and they are never glorified. She switches to cigarettes when Jamie exhibits concern for her. There is references to Jamie needing to regularly search for and dispose of Charlotte's drugs in the predictable places the original Holmes hid his because the story is based on the Sherlock Holmes stories and that's just how it is. On that note, this is a really good Holmes spinoff, I love that genre, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series which just came out.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymollygus May 28, 2020

Super Good and Engaging!

I am not usually one for rereading books, but I've read this one three times, now. It has cussing and the book revolves around a girl's rape (Charlotte). This girl also suffers from substance abuse but her friend (Jamie) stops her. They work together to solve a murder mystery. Jamie gets poisoned and almost dies. Charlotte smokes. A girl gets a diamond shoved down her throat. Jamie and Charlotte kiss. But it also shows friendship, sibling-ship, and problem solving. I read it when I was eleven, which was a little too young and I didn't quite understand it but now I do.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byEllieKat June 25, 2021

One of My Favorite Books

I love this book! I read it in one day, it was so hard to put it down. I agree that it is a more mature book, considering the main characters are 16. I was not bothered with the content, however because I enjoy challenging novels. I do feel that some of the language was unnecessary because it did not add anything better to the book. The main characters are Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson, and the book is connected to Sherlock Holmes. I had never read a Sherlock Holmes novel, but it was pretty easy to understand the references. Overall I would definitely recommend this book, especially to middle schoolers who enjoy dark and twisted mysteries.

Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2020
I really loved this book! It really got me into mysteries and I am super excited to finish the series! It is not as violent as you would think. The violence in this book isn't very descriptive at all, so if you are sensitive to that it isn't that bad. The sex and drinking/drugs is a bit much. A lot of people there have a drug problem and at one part ( near the end) I almost put the book down because of one part that involved someone taking drugs. There is a lot of sex as well and one of the main characters has gotten raped, but it doesn't explain it too much. Overall this is a good book and I would recommend it to teens who like mystery or who like murder is bad manners by Robin Stevens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byNonameee April 5, 2019

Worst book I have ever read. But you’re opinion is different.

I had to read this book for a group project in my English class. So I didn’t get to pick to read this book. I have read lots of books that I thought were boring or just to so long to get interesting. My group who had to read this book had four people in it. And no one in my group enjoyed this book. But ti be fair, we are all bigger fans of romance books. This book clearly is not a romance. I really wanted this book to be interesting. Every time I read it, I felt like I had to reread it again and again because my mind kept wondering off. I also found some parts of the book to be disturbing. This book included rape, drugs, murder, and very foul language. I am used to hearing the F bomb a lot because I am in a public high school. But I just hated that I had to actually see/read the word almost every page. This book also just seemed to drag on. There are 12 chapters total. And 300 something pages. I just felt like there could’ve been an end at one part of the chapter but it kept going. The chapter were about 40 pages long. There is no problem with that, but I just didn’t understand what was happening because it seemed like a lot would go on in one chapter, or nothing would go on in a chapter. If you like mysteries or Holmes stories, then I can see how you would love this book. But if you are not a fan of mysteries, Holmes stories, rape, drugs, murder and foul language, then you might have a very difficult time reading this book.