All parent member reviews for A Wrinkle in Time

Adult Written byKingLukeAtTHECastle December 27, 2011

I WOULD SPIT ON THIS TRIPE!

This was the most incomprehensible(unable to be understood) book I have ever read. Basically, a girl and her abnormally intelligent brother, and some guy go to a different world to save their father. And what do they find, but a GIANT BRAIN IN A CAVE!? What the...? Now this book was just...WEIRD. CREEPY. FREAKY. STRANGE. And then, they find these Yo Gabba Gabba things...and the kid is controlled by the brain!? It's a brain people! And why is there even a giant brain there anyways? DON'T believe the people who said it was good. Your kids will be creeped out. They will afraid of brains! Take it from a father with 5 kids-I regret reading it to them. They hated it! I hope you enjoyed this review and if you do read this horrendous book, be warned. And ready.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byCeltic1962 April 21, 2011

Parent of a 6 year old Written bydocofsoc1 August 23, 2013

Was it too soon for tesseracts?

I adored the book A Wrinkle in Time as a child, but when my almost six-year old pulled the book off the shelf and asked me to read it to her, I hesitated. Was it too soon for her to tackle this classic? I wrote about this decision as a parent blogger for Bookboard, a children's ebook service. On the one hand, I loved this book as a child -- but I was in 4th grade when I first read the book. My daughter is just starting first grade. I was also wondering if there was a way to read it at her level, making some parental editing choices as I read (which can feel like a travesty, I know). It turned out to be a great experience, but I exercised caution, too (e.g., not reading the most frightening parts right before bedtime; choosing when to help translate terms and when to just keep reading, etc.). Yes, I concluded she was still a bit too young to fully "get it" in the end, but she got enough to make it meaningful. I know she'll come back to this one over time.
Adult Written byooooo April 9, 2008

Adult Written bympmleblanc April 9, 2008

Read before your kids

Some pretty mature themes and kids may be asking questions. I would read before and recommend to older established readers. The subject is complex and what you make of it. Be prepared for some unusual discussions about serious moral topics.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTora Gwen May 11, 2010

Perfect for pretty much anyone!

My nine year old daughter and I love this book! Meg is a very courageous heroin, and Addy and I love her. It's a real page-turner, too, and makes you want to read more and more. My daughter brought this home last year and we read it together because I thought it sounded really cool. It's one of my favorite books of all time! I honestly cannot find anything bad about this book! I'd recommend it to anyone.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byonwi September 20, 2009
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 August 13, 2009

Like visiting an old friend.

This book is one of the best children's books available. Every home and library should have a copy. It is the first book in a very, very intriguing series. There is nothing wrong at all with this book.
Adult Written byawrinkleintime April 9, 2008

I love when they kiss. But its not an issue at all. Its romantic

I think this is an absolutely, positively awesome book. It is a must be read book. Madeline L'engle is a great author. Keep it up Madeline!
Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008

A little scary but the girlpower message is great

Meg is a great hero for young girls, proof that girls can be good at science and math. Their family imparts positive messages, since they are close and loving. All books in this series (and also the Austin series which partially intersects later in the series) are fantastic and very well-written!
Adult Written byKellyLP April 22, 2015

Complex language and themes for children 12 and under

I am a 37 year old aunt who is much more cautious about what my nieces read than my own parents were about what I read (Pet Semetary @ age 12). I picked this book up today and upon reading the description was immediately intrigued. I recalled being aware of this book as a child but couldn't remember if I had read it or not. After making it halfway through the book, I remembered that I had checked it out from the library when I was about 7 or 8, found that although I could read it, I couldn't understand it, and put it down after a few pages. I now understand why the librarians were always concerned that I was reading books "too old for me." (My grandparents lived next to a library so I regularly checked out stacks of books.). I missed out on a great book that I am certain inspired the curiosity of many. As an adult with the benefit of hindsight, I can see how this book would have been scary and/or difficult to understand for younger children. ( I recommend reading the young readers' comments, not just the adults' comments) Although it's an excellent book, I would certainly hesitate to recommend it for a child under 12.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy December 6, 2012

Amazing book.

Just like CSM says,this is a classic story that gets kids thinking.I must agree.It's a nice,addicting book that gets you thinking.I love this book just like how I love the Bible.Both books are awesome.
Educator Written byginagibbs September 11, 2010

Story of love, fantasy, courage

One of my favorite stories to recommend.
Parent of a 3, 12, and 13 year old Written byansika September 7, 2010

for kids aged 12 +

Great Sci fi adventure with an extraordinary cast of characters. Book has some deep themes if you look hard enough but the author has been clever enough to tackle them sensitively and with simplicity. The underlying themes are individuality, courage and adventure.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byKrissy.kat July 13, 2010

A book that instills a love for reading in childrens hearts for a lifetime.

I read this entire series as a child, with a hunger for more that can only be caused by the best of the best childrens books... I am currently searching for a copy to read with my daughter.
Adult Written byBookjive January 18, 2010

Parent of a 16 year old Written byahcim3 October 3, 2009

wonderful for any age

oh.my.word it is one of the best children books of all time, nothing to complain about
Adult Written byconcernedlibrarian September 18, 2009

Adult Written bycaitlin89 September 17, 2009

Great!

I loved this book when I was younger! It will always be a classic in my eyes!
Adult Written byLmomof2 January 31, 2009

a classic must read

This book is really wonderful and has such a special meaning (you have to read and it is how Charles Wallace saves the others) My son loves it and I have read it to him twice, we also bought the movie, which is very good. Kids will love this book. It could be a bit scary for younger children so beware of that.