All parent member reviews for Al Capone Does My Shirts: A Tale from Alcatraz, Book 1

Adult Written byMemee April 9, 2008

I hated it

This book is nothing but trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byashleylynnlynn April 9, 2008

LOVE IT

Fantastic book. For me, the topic for family discussion would be the treatment of Moose's sister, Natalie. Natalie is developmentally delayed and her illlness looks a lot like Autism. The family's whole life surrounds getting help for Natalie in a time where asylums seemed to be the most convenient solution. This could result in a great family discussion about the treatment of those with disabilities.
Parent Written byjbb123 February 10, 2016

Good Writing, Wrong Message

This book is really well written. However, the hint at rape and reference to sex, coupled with the ending that says, bullies get the job done were a turn off for me. The main character's handicapped sister gets into a school after its hinted that Al Cappone puts pressure on the school to accept the sister. Thought it was a bad message to give to the 10 year old crowd.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byhaeyoon July 11, 2010

Awsome book!

I enjoyed this book a lot. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it-- it was such a page-turner!. This book deals with a historical locus which caught both public and journalistic attention recently. The author cleverly evades the danger of being banal in its description of the place and rather renders the the story so vivid and interesting.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Good, funny book

This book is good and funny. The characters are smart, and the story is interesting. The surprising sexual themes make this book iffy for thise 10 and younger.
Adult Written byelliem1 November 16, 2014

very interesting

‘Al Capone Does My Shirts’ is a novel by author Gennifer Choldenko. In this novel, Moose Flanagan and his family move to Alcatraz Island, where Moose's father has gotten a job as both electrician and prison guard for the prison situated on the island. Moose misses his friends back home and resents his mother for uprooting the family for another of her schemes to help his sister Natalie be normal. Almost immediately, Moose finds himself in trouble when the daughter of the warden, Piper, draws him into a scheme to make money off of the name of the most famous prisoner at Alcatraz, Al Capone. However, Moose soon learns he does not need Piper to find trouble. Al Capone Does My Shirts is a humorous novel that can also bring a tear to the reader's eye as Moose learns that family is worth fighting for
Adult Written byweter April 9, 2008