All parent member reviews for Among the Hidden: Shadow Children, Book 1

Parent of a 7, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bymomof4anddog August 22, 2013

Great book but not appropriate for all kids.

Although I find this book a good read, my concern is that it raises the question to children.. what does population control mean? The book makes reference to abortion, women "getting fixed" to keep from having more children, and IVF as those who have money can afford this procedure in order to have the designer baby they want. There is also a a reference that pregnant women are bad. This book was read to my 10 year old son's class and he comes home talking about the book and how population control is justified because people are hungry. I was forced to have a conversation about how population is controlled to a kid who was just learning that his body will be changing and now I was forced to talk about all the other stuff before he was ready. I read the book and it is a good book but not before middle school. The teacher took the parental control of deciding when my child is ready to know certain information out of my hands.
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written byadailynewspaper December 15, 2010

Powerless and lonely boy finds hope!

The main character has a very depressing and gloomy life, with no hope of improvement. In the end the he faces a very challenging situation. He has the opportunity to be free from his imposed confinement, as well as the possibility to positively impact the lives of other people living in his situation. However, choosing to accept this opportunity comes with sacrifice. He evaluates his options with great clarity, makes a decision and finds hope.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bystephanie.allen March 4, 2010

Perfect for all children!

I love this book and teach it to my 7th graders each year. One of the main characters does die and the students become fairly upset but at the end, they talk about how much they love the book. It keeps their attention through almost all of the book and they don't want to stop reading because each chapter leaves you at a cliff hanger. It is great! I highly recommend it!
Parent Written byThe Brains December 1, 2011

the best

I love this book, and all the other ones that go along with it. I don't really read books but, these are my fav.
Parent of a 10, 14, and 16 year old Written bylizmae October 17, 2010

Best book ever

I`m 10 and I loved it. I`m now reading the whole series.My sisters both read the first and loved it too.
Adult Written byamyleigh April 19, 2010

A must read!

I love this book. I read it as a child and now as I go into my last year as an education major I am looking for ways to include it into my lessons. I love the message that if you don't think that something is right than you should try to make that change. I think that this is a great book for parents and children to read together. Encourage your children to discuss what they are reading with you and have them make real life connections. A must read in my book!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written by595sfamily October 11, 2009

good for older tweens and up (with good comprehension)

Have read the whole series. Could be intense and suspenseful at times for younger readers. Overall, very well written and geared to encourage children to think about their rights and freedoms and what they really mean and if they are worth fighting/standing up for. Finally, it was pleasantly free of things to concern this parent (who is VERY concerned about what is in many books anymore).
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySheaMama August 2, 2013

Great and quick read.

This was required for my son to read over the summer and turn in a report on it on his first day of 6th grade. We read the book together, and we both loved it. He asked very age appropriate questions regarding the book and it was a great opportunity to discuss many topics without tension.
Adult Written byAndy9Lego June 2, 2012

My son couldn't put it down

My son's review: The book was really short, easy to read and held my interest. I liked the suspense - Luke struggled to make big decisions. I liked it because it had a really good plot. I enjoyed that it was like a real person, but in an unreal place. The book told me about violence, but Luke was never involved and the violence was never described in detail.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byEdna1234567 September 5, 2010

Awesome Book !

Its Such A Good Book That Keeps You Wanting To Read More.. The Ending Is Very Sad But Im Glad The Author Mixed Up A Little Bit Instead Of A Happilly-Ever-After. (:
Adult Written bynbblondie April 9, 2008

Adult Written bysoccer girl7 April 9, 2008

I was interested...

This book I thought wasn't the best book. I gave it 5 stars cause of the rest of the series, but this one is I guess good it just took a while to really get into it, but I would read the series if i were u!
Adult Written byGlam101 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byreadread April 9, 2008

A great read aloud!

I read aloud this book every year to my fifth graders. It is flawless and thought provoking. They love it!
Adult Written byBcase8 March 9, 2015

Recommend all kids read this thriller series

This book is set in a dystopia of the future and boy named luke is on the wrong side of things in this terrible world. He is an illegal third child so he is forced to stay inside his home at all times because the government only allows families to have two children. Luke being a young boy is curious and since his family leaves him home alone everyday he starts to wonder outside and becomes very brave when he sees a face peaking from the neighbors house and he knows that face should be there. This is when the first book gets very intense and everything that happens next no one saw coming a turn of events will change young Luke's life forever. This book is very interesting and a good thrill for any kid who wants to read it I would recommended it to any young kid who loves a scary action filled book.
Adult Written byMoises Serrano March 3, 2015

Its a very interesting book

There is a kid who is a third child. A family can't have more the 2 kids. So the third child has to stay hidden or he will be killed. There is a boy name luke who is hiding. He wants to live a normal life like his brother. He can't or he will be killed.He finds something odd about his neighbors Standing up for what you think is right one of the central themes.I thought the book is good. It leaves suspension and makes you want to read more.More people should read it because it keeps you on your heels and you'll get suck into the book. You'll feel emotion to the characters.I chose 5 stars because i thought it was a overall amazing book. Good suspension, keeps you on your heels and attaches you the character. It also has a good central conflict.I chose the age 10 and up because i feel that they will understand the conflict more then kids under that age.I feel that they actually get into the book.There are great role models.I didn't choose the boxes because it isn't a educational book.There is a good messages but i don't think there are amazing messages.There isn't a lot of violence. There is no sex, swearing,consumerism ,drugs, smoking, and drinking.Thats why its appropriate for 10 and up.
Parent Written bysammy20 October 7, 2011

the best

i am 20 years old and i am a mother of two daughters and one day im going to read these books with them for many ressons . i was in 7th grade when my teacher ms.miller introduced me to this set of books and everyday she felt me and the other students wanting more to the point were most of us bought the book just to read at home . we where ese students special ed. if u may and we were not strong on reading but because of these books we finally wanted to read so if u have a child that is having trouble with getting in to reading start these books and watch there interest grow. love samantha norvitz
Parent of a 13 year old Written byreading mamma March 16, 2011

A mother of tweens loved it.

Incredible heros. Even unsure children prove to be great.
Adult Written bydavid is awesome December 28, 2010

itz good

love it
Parent of a 7, 10, and 15 year old Written byJoyMum January 1, 2010

This was a good book with a positive message of the value of all life.