Kid reviews for An Abundance of Katherines

Funny, quirky tale of slacker geeks' road trip to Tennessee.

Teen, 16 years old Written bythelovelykat September 6, 2014

Really easy read

This novel begins with a sullen and upset Colin Singleton who just broke up with his last girlfriend (the 19th girl he's dated named Katherine). To be totally honest, his personality was a bit annoying, but that may have been one of the effects of his breakup. Anyway, he decides to go on a road trip to get over his ex and ends up in some town in the middle of nowhere. There he meets a girl (of course) and tries to perfect his super complicated Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which is extremely boring and unexciting to read about. Even though the novel isn't super interesting all the time, it does have its good chapters and the other main character (Lindsey) proves to be spunky and relatable. Yeah, there is an adequate amount of swearing (nothing less than the average teenager's vocabulary) and one violent-filled chapter, but there is little talk about sex and a lot of educational fun facts that aren't completely terrible to read. It was a quick and easy read with a unique plot, quirky characters, and a sweet ending.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycolorsgirl February 16, 2012

Funny, nerdy, math-geek style love story

This is a funny book. It's also very nerdy. If you aren't a nerd or don't enjoy nerdy things, there is a chance you won't like this book...that being said, those who enjoy a good math joke will find it fantastic. I didn't understand the math jokes at first, but after reading the appendix several times, I now have a vague idea of how functions work. There is no huge, underlying moral in this book (unlike TFiOS) but it's cute, and it teaches us that love is unpredictable. There is a good bit of swearing (as in all of John Green's books) and two characters (not the main ones) are caught having sex though it's mostly implied and not described at all. As with TFiOS, nerdy teens will enjoy this book. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 14 as they probably won't appreciate the humor and the swearing/sex is a little too much but I'm 13 and I appreciated it, so know yourself/your kid. DFTBA :P

Teen, 13 years old Written bybookworm96 June 28, 2009

Funny & Engaging

"An Abundance of Katherines" is a funny, funny book. I loved the characters; they were relatable, interesting, and three-dimensional. The content of the book stays well within what any normal teen has been exposed to. The occasional sexual joke or cuss is uttered, but for the most part, there's not much questionable in here.
Kid, 9 years old June 7, 2009

Okay...

An Abundance of Katherines had a good story line I guess, but was pretty boring. I couldn't really stay with it at some parts.
Teen, 13 years old Written by1angelette April 7, 2009

Intellectual Tour-de-force for Mature Teens

Colin -- oh, narcissistic, relatable, somehow-dated-nineteen-girls-to-my-mother's-chagrin Colin. He manages to churn out an equation which actually works (no lie, I tried it twice), has an awesome Arab friend (how is that bad for the message? discrimination, CSM), and knows a lot of the same obscure, awesome stuff I do, only more of it. For a teenager who can take the profanity (for there's lots) and raciness (there's even more of that) without giggling and appreciate the crowning, glorious apothesis of Katherine the Great midway through the book (not to mention anagrams), you'll pick this up and love it to death in one delicious afternoon like I did.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykay_rayb April 9, 2008

Awesome read

An Abundance of Katherines is an amazing book. There isn't really alot of sexual reference as everone else seems to think. They don't really swear much because they say "fug" instead of.. well.. you know. It's a great book for anyone at least 13 or older. Under 13 might not understand some parts
Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2019

Read it, shouldn't have.

well i read it but its so innapropriate i had to hide it from my mom. i do highly reccomend it though for 16+. i think though that if your looking for something 10+ ish, then look for the fault in our stars by the same author, john green.

Teen, 15 years old Written byannie4321 July 24, 2019

Quite good

The book was quite good. Very interesting and different. It's worth reading and has a really good storyline. It's also quite funny but with a good mix of other emotions. Defiantly worth reading :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byCamrynvann July 6, 2019

Love John Green, but it’s his worst book.

I read this book twice, and I didn’t like it either time. It’s confusing at times but has a somewhat good plot and funny twist but all together I didn’t like the book because I expected a lot more from John Green. The book seems like a book you would be assigned in school.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBooknerd01 February 11, 2019

Amazing!

John Green has always amazes me with every book of his I have read. This book was an amazing read and I very well recommended it!

Teen, 15 years old Written byelladandino August 1, 2018

eh

so this book is very good. a great plot. great characters but. the way this whole book has to do with a genius is very hard because he explains things in math forms and its always very hard to follow. I need a dictionary for this whole book. I think if you either have a dictionary or you are older it would be good

Teen, 17 years old Written bykayleigh0201 June 4, 2018

Seems far

At first the book was super hard to get into, the first three chapter did not makes sense at all and i was very confused. But, after reading in the second week i got super into it and everything had sense! the book was okay definitely not the best book John Green had ever put out.
Teen, 16 years old Written byintrxspective October 20, 2017

Pretty good!

Although this isn't my favorite work of Green's, it has an overall positive message! It showcases one of the biggest fears of teens today: growing up. It focuses around a teen named Colin Singleton, who has recently gone through his 19th breakup with a girl named Katherine. It's full of funny comments, interesting theorems, and it shows teens that in the end life tends to work out.
Some warnings, however would be language (sh*t, a**, damn, b*astard, etc.) and brief sexuality. There are also references to drugs and alcohol...
I think this is a good book for older teens!

Teen, 13 years old Written byImaGurlyGurl August 20, 2017

Great Book! And warring! Ehms-1

Overall I thought An Abundance of Kathranies was a great book, I just wanted give some of the younger kids. First of all there was some oral sex but nothing to bad
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnsleypecoul October 20, 2016

Rather quick ending..

Seems as though when I approached the end of the book it feel like the author was in a rush to end it or something, but the ending didn't feel right. While he completes his theory, it leaves the reader asking,"Wait, that's all?". The book overall had a nice plot and I would recommend this book to a friend. The best part of the book is the unsuspecting plot twists that leave you on the edge of your seat. The book has a few cuss words but nothing too vulgar. There are no sex scenes, but a few references to well, a "thunderstick". I am thirteen, and I greatly enjoyed reading this book and, well, all of john greens books.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymakaylajade1021 June 27, 2016

An Abundance of Amazaing

This book has a wonderful storyline but can at times be confusing to follow. The formula is confusing but in the end has an amazing effect on his life. There are some sex scenes but overall it is a great book

Teen, 17 years old Written bymegandarling617 May 31, 2016

Its a Great Book

I only picked up this book as an assignment in class, but it ended up being one of my favorite books of all time. An Abundance of Katherines has a great story and characters that anyone can relate to and it gives some real solutions to the main characters problems in that some problems are only solved with time to heal all wounds.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJade the unicorn March 31, 2016

Amazing

John has done a great job with this one. This story does contain mature content, such as sex scenes and swearing, but if a parent is okay with their child reading it, it is fine.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySadhbh.os March 8, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written byBandFanGirl December 3, 2015

Eh, It's Okay.

My mom got me a John Green box set for my birthday after she saw how much I loved The Fault In Our Stars, and after reading Paper Towns I immediately turned to this. I found it interesting considering the title and the summary, but once I actually started to read it I was disappointed. I dislike the main character (I believe his name was Connor) greatly. I mean seriously, how can you think that a math equation can predict relationships? It can't! I found Connor (or whatever his name was) way too serious and not fun enough to be the main character. I found his best friend and love interest more entertaining and funny than him, to be honest. As for parental concerns, there are sexual references and acts and swearing, but I'm 14 and I had no problem with it. I guess it depends how mature your kid is. Although even if they do read it, I doubt they'll stay awake long enough to get to those parts. Connor is boring. I loved John Green's other book such as Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns, and The Fault In Our Stars, but this was disappointing.