Kid reviews for And Then There Were None

Masterful murder mystery takes dark view of justice.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd January 28, 2014

The most brilliantly plotted mystery of all time

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. My gosh was this book incredible! Agatha Christie herself stated after finishing it that, . Not only is the plot expertly and delicately crafted, but the characters are intensely unique and curious. Not once did I find myself bored whilst reading- not once! The setting was mysterious, the characters quirky, and the mystery itself fascinating! Previously published as Ten Little Indians, And Then There Were None is a captivating read following ten very different characters who are all invited to a frequently rumored about island, a mile off the coast of Devon by a Mr. U.N. Owen. Strangely, when they show up, their host isn't there to greet them. While making each others' company, they discover a poem in each of their rooms called "Ten Little Soldier Boys" (some editions may say "Ten Little Indians" or "Ten Little Sailors") that tells a tell of ten soldiers (Indians, sailors,etc.) who dissapear one by one...until there are none. It's when the poem starts to come to life that sets the story off and makes it nearly impossible to put down. Any eager reader looking for a good mystery will most certainly not be dissapointed when they pick up this one-of-a-kind tale. *Content Summary- May Contain Spoilers* Violence: You can't really have a good mystery without murder, and that is indeed a central part to And Then There Were None. Death(s)/Injuries that occur in the novel include brief description of a poisoned victim's face, we see a man whose head has been sliced by an ax, a man's skull is crushed by a marble piece of furniture (not described more that that), shootings, *BIG SPOILER* a hanging, a man is hit over the head, and a man falls to his death and is found purple faced on a rock. There are also flashbacks on deaths of other people such as two people being run over by a car, someone dying during an operation, drowning, etc. Please keep in mind that none of this is ever described graphically- it's all factual. Language: the d-word is used often and the h-word is used a few times. Also, some very, very old versions of the book use the n-word in the poem instead of soldier (Indian, sailor, etc.) and even have it in the title as Ten Little N------. Drinking/Drugs: The guests have brandy. Overdose of a sleeping drug is a cause for one of the deaths as well as injection of other medical drugs. A man reveals *BIG SPOILER* that he was drunk while operating on a woman and killed her (nothing graphic).

Teen, 14 years old Written byHufflepuffle April 27, 2020

Amazing.

This book was so good! I read it for a school project, not thinking much of it in the first few pages. But once I got into it, I couldn't put it down! I read it in two days!

I would say that it is suitable for most middle schoolers and up, depending on the maturity level of the kid. It didn't scare me. The violence is almost not present, *SPOILER* the only time you as the reader are present in the story while it happens is when one character shoots another out of self preservation. The bodies are never described in more detail than it takes for you to realize they are dead. *SPOILER* One character's skull is crushed in and another is pushed off a cliff, but again, nothing descriptive.

The characters do drink alcohol and smoke a few times, as was customary with the times. There is one bad word used a few times, but in accordance with the character and the situation, never excessively or just to use it. *SPOILER* Poisoning and overdoses of sleeping drugs are methods of murder used.

You will NEVER guess the ending. It sure surprised me! Make sure you read all the way through the book, including the epilogue and the Scotland Yard Manuscript, or else you will never truly know the ending.

Again, such a great read! Great job Agatha Christie! An amazing murder mystery, it will keep you on edge and interested the whole time. I totally recommend you read it.
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2020

Great mystery!

I read this book when I was eleven. Sure it had lots of murder and creepiness but it was really amazing. I loved this book and couldn’t stop reading it. Amazingly developed plot, great characters, a must read for anyone who likes suspenseful murder mysteries.

Teen, 13 years old Written byavid_reader_teen April 6, 2020

Murder Mystery You Cannot Solve

This beautifully written novel will not even hint of the perpetrator until the end of the novel. It is violent, with 10 extreme deaths but you will love it!! I would recommend any Agatha Christie novels. They are my favourite; Death on The Nile, The Orient Express, The Blue Train, etc. But make sure you can handle such violence. GREAT!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byDarthjarjar March 18, 2020

Not a dull moment

This is such a good book. I never remember being bored while reading this book. The mystery is crafted well and is unpredictable. There is some violence in this book, but not any graphic descriptions. It mentions hanging, shooting, drowning, e.t.c. There were not many great role models or themes, in the beginning it is known that each character has murdered someone. This is also a good book if you aren’t fond of murder mysteries.

Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2018

BRST BOOK EVER

this book was AMAZING. by far my favorite book. the book is suspenseful and will keep you wondering what will happen. and at the end, you will be amazed at how great agatha christie made the ending be. over all, an amazing book
Teen, 13 years old Written byBentleDolores September 30, 2018

The best Christie mystery. Sure kicks butt out of Poirot (though he's still good)!

Middle school and/or high school students, if you have at least one teacher who assigns classic and loved novels for reading, this one is likely to be one of them. And Then There Were None is stylish, dark, and twisted in a way only Agatha Christie could produce. But as with the rest of the Christie novels, this is a book not intended for younger readers (although it is suitable for an older tween, having read this at 12), especially because of the thematic elements and mature (occasionally graphic) content. Nevertheless, readers will remember this book, and they will be proud that it has been chosen as one of The Great American Reads (100 books loved by America are chosen and we will choose one!)!

Teen, 14 years old Written bycamster26 August 26, 2018

Super Suspenseful But Does Have Some Language and Violence

This was a real page turner and it was really hard to put it down. Once you get into the story you get hooked and it's really suspenseful, so I would recommend it to any teenager/adult who likes mysteries. There is some language (the D-word is used frequently) as well as some violence considering the book is a murder mystery. The violence isn't described too graphically and the characters only see the damage after the murder takes place, but the violence is still there. There is also some use of drugs and drinking in the book and some of the murders themselves occur through poison. Overall, if you are 13 or older I think the violence in this book is manageable and the book has great educational value as well as the fact that it's really fun to read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byShivani Parepally August 19, 2018

The Best book ever

It's so interesting and it creates suspense in the mind and excitement to the reader. I betcha, this is the best book ever!!
Kid, 12 years old July 19, 2018

Need to be seasoned mystery reader

Well-plotted book with very dark, mature themes and an interesting view of justice. Personally, this book didn't keep me up at night but it is very dark and I would read some lighter Christie mysteries first, especially the Poirot short stories or the Marple stories. Classic, one of the best books ever written.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySam2019 July 5, 2018

Good Read

It’s a good read but I definitely recommend it for adults or teens that are at least done with junior year in highschool or going into it. It was my summer reading for my senior year and it was still a little creepy for me. I was talking to my friends and we agreeded how creepy it was. Over all it’s a good book ( and I don’t like mysterys). You will never be able to figure out the ending. It did have some language and was a little scary and I feel like it would give anyone younger nightmares, plus it could be a little hard to read with the vocabulary. That’s why I think it is for 17 and up. But over all I thought it was good and would definitely recommend to a friend. It was a sad ending though but it is a murder mystery.

Teen, 15 years old Written byNolan Lundgaard June 16, 2018

Gripping Murder Mystery

Parents should know that And Then There Were None is a murder mystery, so there is going to be some deaths. It's been a while since I read this book, but I believe I remember characters drinking, and one smoking a cigar. Other than that, there is nothing terrible in Agatha Christie's work, just an intriguing story. Personally, I think 17+ is overkill; high-schoolers should be fine. :)

Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2018

Best Book I’ve ever read!

I read this book as a fan of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. The way that everything in the book ended up falling into place made it an amazing book for me personally. I would think that 11+ is an appropriate age, as they would understand that the book is fiction, and that it would never happen in real life.

Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2018

GREAT BOOK!

I read this book a couple months ago when I was 10 and it is by far the best book I have ever read. I would recommend it for ages 12 and above only because it was pretty stressful and a bit frightening, but not in a way that makes it horror. I would recommend reading some of the other Agatha Christie books before reading this one to see if you think that you would read it. Once you start reading I guarantee it should not take you more than a week to complete because it just sucks you in.
Kid, 10 years old March 3, 2018

Great movie

It was a really good murder movie like all other Agatha Christie movies.

Kid, 9 years old December 20, 2017

And Then There Were None Book Review

I am a big fan of Agatha Christie novels and especially loved this one! I took this book with me everywhere-dinner, school, advanced learning classes, playdates, and more just to finish it! I was definitely hooked because of the plot and the amazing setups Agatha Christie uses to, once again, baffle her readers until the very end when they know the ending. I could not stop making wild guesses about who was the killer and U.N. Owen, and I was ultimately surprised by a once again stunning conclusion I never could have guessed alone. (When you finish reading the story part, flip to the Sent To Scotland Yard Manuscript, read it to find the answer at the end.) This book has a lot of violence that is inappropriate for kids in every way, including the very brutal murders of several characters, including stabbing, drugs, drink poisoning, hanging, and more. You should also know that the setup and framework for all these crimes is based on a classic nursery rhyme. Probably for high schoolers and up. The kind of novel you’ll want to read is right here. Get your copy now!

Teen, 13 years old Written bywalshie05 July 13, 2017

Kid, 11 years old April 15, 2017

Amazing murder mystery. Strong theme of Justice.

And Then There Were None is an absolutely phenomenal book. Lots of suspense, mystery and action. For a book about 10 people stranded on an island and they all are about to get murdered there is a surprisingly low gore factor. Some things parents need to watch out for are, once or twice in the book they mention a woman having an affair. Very mild when they talk about it. The people are murdered by, getting injected by a syringe, shot, skull smashed...etc...etc. But still there is barely any gore. Some talk of suicide and drugs/dope/sedatives. Now we get to the message, justice. The book's ending is so amazing, not because it surprises you but because it talks about justice. The whole thing is based on justice without you even knowing. Overall, this is a great mystery. Well done, Ms. Christie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byitsizzy16 January 1, 2017

AMAZING, But...

I originally read this a few years ago, but i was 7 when i played the game and i found it intresting but it can also help you think twice about real life situations

Teen, 14 years old Written byReaderWithcharm December 30, 2016

Entertaining, but not educational.

This book was one of the best mystery novels I've read. I was supposed to read chapter one and two for class and ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting. This book kept me on the edge of my seat until the Very end. There really aren't any positive role models in this novel, so don't expext one. Worth a read for Middle Schoolers and up.