Parent reviews for Anne of Green Gables

Beloved classic features lovable, imaginative heroine.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 7-year-old Written byChristy4 August 22, 2012

Always a favorite

This was a childhood favorite of mine and I recently read it to my seven year old. She liked it and was able to relate to the many "scrapes" Anne gets into. The prose can be long-winded at times, and the vocabulary if pretty advanced, so for independent reading it would be better for middle school.
Adult Written byGurtrude_The_Cool January 16, 2019

THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK

This my favorite book! It has great characters I was so sad when I reached the end, it was so interesting! It’s also a very funny book Anne is a great character so are the others as well. Overall a great book 10/10

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byMamaRo April 19, 2018

Best for Middle School and up

I think this story is fine to read aloud to younger kids (age 9) but I remember reading and loving it in Middle and High School. The story covers Anne's life during adolescence and into young adulthood so the content and her experiences are going to be more relevant for older kids. Furthermore, in the Accelerated Reader program, this is book level 7.3 which puts it at a 7th grade reading level. An advanced reader at a younger age might enjoy this but I think it's a better fit for older kids.

Adult Written byChristina V. October 1, 2017

Christina's Review

You are Anne Shirley, an orphan girl with no place to go and your foster parents are considering whether or not to keep you. What would you do? Well Anne is a pretty unique girl who has a huge imagination, and she was also smart but the only problem was that she would get caught up in her imagination and he foster mother Marilla did not like it, things had to be real life for Marilla not thoughts. Anne tries everything to stay with her only family, she hopes that they would want to keep her but the times she tried to help, something bad would happen on accident. Anne knew to always get up and try again so she did then it all payed off but if you want to know what pays off, then you will have to read the book since I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. That said, I really learned something. I would recommend this book to people who like poetry because there are really nice sayings in there that actually has good feeling. The poetry had me amazed and it made me feel what the character was feeling. Here is one of my favorite sentence of poetry," My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes."

Adult Written byTropic July 10, 2018
We all know that the story is good, but the language used is too advanced for younger readers. My 11 year old really struggled to understand the story as she didn't understand the words and their meanings.
Adult Written byErica K. October 1, 2015

Anne of Green Gables

Valuable lessons learned in this book. Anne learns to become the greatest person she could be.She was very lucky to have many great role models. Despite her crazy imagination, she learns to form friendships with many people in her community. Even though she struggles with fitting in and "family" problems, she learns to express her emotions, and young girls can really connect with her. Anne of Green Gables in an adventurous, eventful, and entertaining novel.

Adult Written bySherlockian February 1, 2014

Great for all ages!

This is a children's book but I read it, and its sequels a little later, when I was 15-17 and I must say it still had all the charm. It is incredibly well written and was very funny. I only wish I had discovered it earlier.

Adult Written byMagicShop March 25, 2021

The Absolute Classic

This is a book that no child should miss out on. Anne is a character that portrays several good attributes, such as determination to reach goals, willingness to always help or undying and healthy positivity.

Not only is the book an amazing learning tool for children, it is also a way of relaxing for parents. Especially if you have read this book in your childhood, the memories it might bring will be pleasant and funny.

If you are interested in a longer review that gives tips on what messages to take from the book and apply to your life, feel free to visit our MagicShop website:

Parent Written byhannah1991 July 8, 2020
Eleven-year-old Anne Shirley, adopted from an "orphan asylum," is quite talkative! She never seems to stop chatting, and has never said a prayer in her life. Her adopted mother, Marilla, quickly puts a stop to this and teaches Anne to be a proper lady.

Parent Written byJen B. August 6, 2018
Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written byMrs. C. B. September 22, 2017

Parent of a 9 and 9-year-old Written byEmi B. August 28, 2017

A Classic for Good Reasons

I can see why so many tourists flock to Anne Shirley country year after year, she truly is an inspiring character - brains, wit, and a vast scope of imagination!