Kid reviews for Anne of Green Gables

Beloved classic features lovable, imaginative heroine.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCheeseGirl13 January 19, 2020

LITERALLY THE BEST BOOK OF ALL TIME

This is an amazing book. No swearing, no violence, only one chapter with drugs, when Anne accidentally sends Diana home drunk because of a drink mix-up. However, I would not recommend this book for younger children. When I was in 4th grade, all of my friends were constantly talking about it, so I tried reading it. I did NOT understand it AT ALL. So I tried again when I was in 5th grade. Sort of got it, but I saw the size of the book and I was like, “Nope. No way. This thing is HUGE.” So I tried my luck in 6th grade. Long story short, I was OBSESSED. So I would recommend it for middle school and up, or very mature upper-elementary kids. But seriously, best book EVER.

It’s very funny, it’s about an 11 year old orphan girl who gets adopted by a very strict woman, Marilla, and a shy man, Matthew, because of a misunderstanding, but they take her anyway. She always gets herself into scrapes, like when she accidentally puts gross medicine in a cake instead of vanilla, and when she breaks her ankle in an attempt to walk on her neighbor’s roof. Definitely 5 stars, but if I could rate it 6, I would.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGreysonGirl98 October 18, 2011

1st few are good, stay away from the rest.

Anne is in her best form in this book. She is spunky and a dreamer and you just wish you knew her. The second and third books are just as good. However, as this series continues, it deteriorates drastically. The later books center more around other, less likable characters and are not cohesive within themselves, more like short stories. Stick with the first few.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFlower373 May 25, 2021

Amazing book!

This is a great story, I highly recommend it! I have read the whole series, and I am in the middle of reading it again. Very, very good. It does have a lot of big words, so it is probably not best for younger kids. : ) Anne is super fun to read about, and you never know what kind of trouble she will get into next!
: ) Matthew smokes sometimes, and Anne accidently makes Diana get drunk.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBookNerd09 March 10, 2021

This book made me melt!

This is such an amazing book! I love the time that it was set in! The characters are so awesome, and I loved Anne's personality! I rate it 10+ because of some more old-fashioned words that younger kids might not understand, but it's definitely appropriate for kids of younger ages. The descriptions were my favorite part of this book. I could create a whole fandom over the descriptions on Avonlea! I want to live at Green Gables, and I think that anyone else who reads this book would. I can't wait to read the next book!

Teen, 13 years old Written bynyxrating December 28, 2020

Pretty good!

Anne of Green Gables was a very fun book to read! I recommend being the age of 11 or up to fully understand the purity and jokes made in the book. Honestly, if a 9-year-old kid were to read it, they wouldn't understand how good the book really is! Keep in mind that this is just a recommendation. I would say that the BEAR MINIMUM age to read this book would be at 8. I really doubt they'd even enjoy it. Even if they DO enjoy the book, I really doubt they'd enjoy it to its full extent.
Nyxrating

Teen, 15 years old Written bymirkat September 26, 2020

Relatable, Spunky, and Imaginative Classic

Let me be frank. I watched Anne With An E (the TV adaptation of this book) before I read the book. And I know some of you must be screaming at me right now... and yes, I must admit the most of the time the book is better. However, this wasn't the case for Anne of Green Gables. I know it's a classic. I know it's beloved. I know it was written in 1908 and thus has very little diversity and the like. This is why I like the TV show better-- it's much more relatable to what's going on in society today.

But let's say I can't compare the book to the TV show. In that case, Anne of Green Gables is amazing! It's spunky and funny and relatable and tear-jerking in a way that spans generations. It must have made waves when it was published. What revolutionary ideas! How unusual! So I guess that's some of the charm of reading this book. Not to mention that L. M. Montgomery was a phenomenal writer. As a young writer myself, L. M. Montgomery has become a role model . That's how I found myself searching for more books by her.

And that's how I found Emily Byrd Starr. Emily of New Moon, to be exact. She's everything Anne is and more. Many people say Anne is so relatable. And she is. In a way. But the thing is, later in the series, she starts to loose her spunk and ambition. And that hurts me. Where did the little girl we all know and love go? Emily, however, sticks with it. We see her evolve and change and grow. Both as a writer and as a person. A friend.

And why am I writing this all here, you may ask. Because Emily and Anne have shifted and warped and become one in my brain. When I think of Anne, I think of Emily. I think of L.M. Montgomery. I think of what it means to be a writer. And I think of the same imagination and spunk and fire and spirit and emotion these two girls have. They are my friends and role models and family.

So when you read Anne of Green Gables, give Emily a chance, too. That's all.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySch04 August 14, 2020

A classic

If someone was to ask me what one of the best parts of my childhood was, I'd say that 'Anne of Green Gables' was one of them. Imaginative and adventurous, full of friendships and heart-warming family moments, and a little romance. Very good literature. I couldn't get my hands on the whole series, I think I only managed to get the first two books in my school library. A must-read!

Kid, 10 years old July 20, 2020

Great!!

Anne of Green Gables is about a husband and wife who want to adopt a boy to help around the house. But there was a mistake, and instead, they get a girl, Anne. They decide to keep Anne, and it turned out to be a great choice. She is smart, funny, and talkative, and the book is very humorous until one of the main characters dies. That part is very good too, if sad. You should really try this book; it is great.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLovemybros May 29, 2020

Definitely for little kids!

I know lots of people said it was for older kids, but personally I read this book when I was 8 or 9, and understood it. However, I was a more advanced reader, so if kids aren’t ready for this slower paced novel with bigger vocabulary, try something else or read it aloud as a family. Be ready to explain some of the bigger words! If your kid is more advanced then they can totally read it in 3rd grade or older, there’s nothing inappropriate and Anne teaches kids to learn from their mistakes (with a lot of laughs). Also, I suggest the 1986 Anne if Green Gables movie. Very good version of the book, the best in my opinion.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytheatrekid May 2, 2020

It’s A Classic For A Reason

Many people assume Anne of Green Gables is just a goody two shoes but she makes mistakes (a lot of them) and has flaws and is a truly relatable protagonist. It has incredible descriptions of nature and characters. This story deserves to be told. It’s pretty clean, but Anne goes through crushes and dramatic adventures like any teen.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysaderplate7 April 18, 2020

Beautifully Written and Heartfelt

This is my favorite book. I read it for the first time in seventh grade and absolutely fell in love. I am usually not a fan of classics but this book was different. It is written beautifully and I was stuck to it from page one. I highly recommend it for kids 11 and up- only because it's over 400 pages. It's long, but every word is fantastic!

Kid, 10 years old February 6, 2020

Old-fashioned, but really sweet!

Younger kids might find this book boring, but I personally think this is a really great book! It's hard not to fall in love with the characters, and it's a great story that I could really relate to.

Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2019

GREAT BOOK!

I love this book so much I just finished reading it and I started on the second book in the series. Anne is so funny and happy. I think it is fine but there is one part were Diane gets drunk by accident I had a good laugh at that part. LOVE THIS BOOK!

Teen, 13 years old Written byLady Arwen February 3, 2019

Anne of Green Gables

Anne's spunky attitude, humor, and life lessons should be read by every girl.

Kid, 11 years old December 10, 2018

Best Book Ever!!!

This book is amazing! I love it so much! Positive messages and so heartfelt and emotional. This book is great!

Teen, 13 years old Written byponytailgrl August 28, 2018

boring

There are soo many parts that are dragged on. like there was a page that talked about her day at school for 2 1/2 pages long.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMabelTheReader December 9, 2016

One of the best.

These books are one of the best, and anyone can love them. The characters are funny and sweet, and anyone can relate to them. The small adventures they have are like they would be in real life. I think you have to be a little old to read this, because in all the books they have different language(not swearing) Just the way they talk is more refined, and a 6 or 7 year old wouldn't understand. Anne likes to use "long-tailed words" and it might confuse someone who isn't the best of readers yet. I love all the books, but the last two sadly don't focus on Anne as much. Even if the characters are still okay, I prefer Anne in all of her Anne-ishness. The educational value is more of a spiritual learning than a book learning. You are taught what it means to have friends, and how important it is to keep them. Friendship and true love(not for money) are very much promoted through the whole series. There is some violence, mostly Anne spraining her ankle which isn't too bad. This series is one of my favorites, and I haven't put it down from the day I picked it up.

-Reader

Teen, 13 years old Written byblackvampire314 December 28, 2015

Favourite Classic

I don't normally like classics, but really enjoyed this and read the whole series.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybow_ties_are_cool October 30, 2015

Such an Imaginative Book with Imaginative Characters

It is a beautiful book and will encourage you to see life in a different light. It's imaginative and gorgeous. It has a wonderful role model and it encourages you to change your outlook on things. It forces you to see the beauty in everything. My teacher read this to my class in 5th grade and it made me love reading. It also introduced me to a fellow kindred spirit and I will forever be grateful. I highly recommend this book!

Teen, 13 years old Written byRockAndRollGreasers March 10, 2014

Classic

This is definitely a feminine book, for one, so a boy probably wouldn't want to read it. But if a boy does, that is fine. Anyways, it shows life in the early 1900's from the eyes of a young girl named Anne. It's good for girls 10-13 to read because they can relate to Anne. Older girls would enjoy the sequel Anne of Avonlea, where Anne is 16. Anne of The Island is another great sequel which is romantic.