Kid reviews for Any Way the Wind Blows: Simon Snow Trilogy, Book 3

Any Way the Wind Blows: Simon Snow Trilogy, Book 3 Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

A Great Conclusion for A Great Book Series!!

Any Way The Wind Blows was a fantastic conclusion to one of the best Urban Fantasy series I've ever read. This 3rd book was a little bit more mature than the rest (Sexual Content, Language, Fantasy Violence), but should be fine for teens who have read the first 2 books in the series. The characters- Simon, Baz, Agatha, Brody, Shepard, and Penelope have are no longer at their high school of magic, Watford and are exploring their lives as young adults. There is some drinking and characters attend bars, but drinking is not glamorized the way it is in some books. More religious parents should know that there are several scenes where characters interact and/or talk about demons and their abilities, though the demons are not portrayed as scary or violent. The sexual content in this book is defiantly more intense than the previous 2, but readers who have read the first 2 books can appreciate the slow-burn development of the boy's relationship. All in all, it was a fantastic book with awesome themes and characters. A revolutionary love story between 2 boys with a side of dragons, mystery, villains, and a great plot twist! Highly recommend for 14/15-year-old fantasy fans!

Fantastic ending to the trilogy, but a heavy step up in sexual content.

final (spoiler-free) thoughts at the end // light spoilers The topic of sex is delved into a lot more in this book than in the others. Quotes such as "My cock is in his hip" were a particular shock when I read this, as it was a lot more direct and blatant than the two books that came before. Baz and Simon, though, consistently ask each other how comfortable they feel and if everything is okay, and if it ever gets too much for either of them they stop, and support each other through it. I am young, but I think it does mean I know what a lot of adults pretend doesn't exist: The sexual feelings that come along with puberty and coming of age. Teenageers from ages 12 and up, some cases even younger, are slowly beginning to experiment with their sexuality, and this novel provides fantastic role models for consent. Teenagers want to read and watch things with sex in them, and it is crucial for them to consume media that portrays sex in a responsible manner. Also, while we do read about parts of foreplay and the aftermath, the actual act is cut out, through changes in chapter and point of view. It also treats a mlm (Male love male, gay) relationship as normal, but does address the homophobia of family members and the general public, which is treated negatively. //heavier spoilers Near the end of the book, a girl kisses another girl, and while it is not developed much in the book, a wlw (Women love women) relationship is implied, and not sexualised, like these relationships often are in popular media. A heterosexual couple also appear, and when they first kiss, the male in the relationship informs the woman of any sexually-transmitted diseases he has (In this case he is a carrier it can only be passed on to merpeople, but he tells her just in case she finds herself in a situation where she could pass it onto someone, or create another carrier.), just to be safe. At one point Baz questions what Simon's sexuality is, and when he denies that he is gay or bi, he says he doesn't know, and that 'they have more important issues than which colour flag he takes to a pride parade'. Baz thinks about it a couple more times throughout the text, but he never pressure Simon to label himeself. - final thoughts - I think that this book provides a great role model for teenagers, and depending on the maturity of you/your child, I would recommend it for someone ages 13-15 earliest. While earlier books I would place at a 11-12, make sure anyone under 13 waits a bit to read this one. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys romance, especially people who are part of the LGBTQ+ community and are looking for representation.

awesome ending to the series

I really loved this whole series and the last book didn’t disappoint. It ended in a great way that didn’t leave you hanging, which is the absolute worst. It also has realistic and positive views on lgbtq+ people and relationships which I appreciated. However, the series has progressively gotten more mature with each book. There are vivid scenes where the two main characters are making out and/or having sex. It’s not super explicit, but you definitely know what’s going on and it happens throughout the book. As well as that, there are also mentions of panic and anxiety attacks that might be triggering for some people. Depending on your teen, I’d say 15-16+. I definitely recommend this book to older teens who have enjoyed the other two.