Kid reviews for Artemis Fowl Book 1

Witty and exciting series start with irresistible antihero.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written byzaharex December 5, 2016

My favorite book. Read the whole series, it gets better!

In this book, the author (Eoin Colfer), makes Artemis seem heartless at first. As you read the whole series, you will understand why he does what he does. (Somewhat spoilers next...) Artemis's father was a criminal who was lost at sea when he was ten. Because of what his father had taught him, it lead Artemis to believe that wealth and the family's fortune was very important. When his father was lost, his mother started to become extremely depressed; even to the point where she wouldn't even recognize her own son. This gave Artemis Fowl the freedom to do whatever he wanted. He chose to become a criminal so that he could pay for the expeditions to find his father, who Artemis still believed was alive, even when everyone else said he was dead. Yes, Artemis may be a 12-year old crminal mastermind, genius and anti hero, however, as you read the whole book series, you learn that he's a dynamic character. There is minimal violence compared to a pg-13 movie. Artemis kidnaps Captain Holly Short (a protagonist, and an elf), which is main story in this book. Butler fights a troll, which (in my opinion), wasn't that bad. There was a bomb when Artemis tries to make his point to the LEP that he is dangerous (no one was killed, it was a warning). Holly punches Artemis in the face after she escapes (this is one of my favorite moments in the first book because of the lollipop part). As far as the drinking, drugs and smoking catagory go, there was a drunk fairy in the beginning, and Julius Root smokes a cigar. Also, under the circumstances, Artemis had to put tranquilizer in a drink to escape a time stop and a bio-bomb. Artemis used champane to do this, which I personally didn't like to see in this book. There is also Mulch Diggums, who is a dwarf. He can't resist the urge to steal gold and other precious items. In this book, dwarfs are able to tunnel by eating through the earth. Let's just say that the tunnels are self-sealing... Julius Root, who is the head of the LEP, expects more out of Holly Short than all his other officers because Holly is the only female officer in the LEP. He expects more out of her because she is a role model to others, and people are looking up to her. At the end of this book, there is a good message when you see Artemis's wish. I don't want to say what his wish was, because then I'd be spoiling this book. The books will get better as you read the rest of the series. (My favorite is the seventh book, when Artemis goes crazy.)

Kid, 10 years old November 9, 2016

In my top 20

I have read hundreds of books in this fantasy category and it would make my top 20 list. This is a creative story. There is violence I am sensitive but it wasn’t bad in that way. The first time through did not get it but second time through really liked it. I was older and it made more sense. There was not swearing instead the author would say Artemis cursed under his breath so would not say it but would give you the sense. There is one drunk woman fairy. There is a lot of sarcasm some readers may not get it. There is a new twist on fairies in that they are warriors, you would not expect that. Age 10 for humor need to be older to get it.
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2018

Hooked me on the proverbial fishing line

The genre of Artemis Fowl is fantasy. This intriguing and mysterious book puts funny with fear and murderous glee. It is futuristic fiction story that blends horror and fantasy in one combined wrap of a huge success. Juliet Butler, Butler, Artemis Fowl, and Holly are the main characters, who find themselves stuck in a tug of war between their duty to LEPrecon and thieving to save the world. Throughout the story the main characters roles are to defend justice and for one possible time become allies with one another so that they can retain their main goal; survival. I would recommend this book to those who would enjoy semi-long novels with constant action scenes. This book is action-packed and suitable for ages 9 and up. At first it did not capture my attention or interest and then as I read it, Artemis Fowl hooked me on the proverbial fishing line. This book is so interesting because Eoin Colfer, the author, made all of the characters come to life and he also made you believe that you were actually in the story. I would recommend this book to young people that would want to read excellent, intriguing literature.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBoOkWoRmCaT July 3, 2018

Amazing series.

I love the whole series, its humor and plot is outstanding. i would definantly suggest this book and its series to teens and more.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written bykroge555 June 22, 2018

it was horrible

i think that the book was a wast of time it was so boring and it draged on for ever

Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2018

THIS BOOK IS GREAT!

This book is an excellent mix of modern and ancient. if your kids are fans of star wars and/or harry potter, they will probably love this series.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAvery B May 16, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byH292548d April 27, 2018

Good book

Good book. Arty will captivate readers

Kid, 8 years old February 8, 2019

Fantisy

An advanced book that includes mythical creatures, violence and fun. With advanced wording it can be hard to read for younger children. It's an action packed adventure all the way through.

Kid, 10 years old December 7, 2018

Artemis Fowl

The book is written wonderfully . The story has turns that are hard to catch . I find love in the story & and in the series .I just love the book. The plot is to get fairies “ book “ or “ rule guide “ so that Artemis can get fairy gold . But Artemis goes to far and kidnaps a fairy ,captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon unit . she is the only female recon officer . With Butler by his side and his fast working brain Artemis is unstoppable . They are not fairies from bedtime stories they are armed and dangerous. I found the story fun and unable to put down ;not just any book can make me do that !!!

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byElla Wolf August 24, 2018

cool book

Artemis fowl the book novel was a interesting book and a science fiction/fantasy. Book 1 is about a 12 year old book who try to regain his family fortune with a crazy awesome butler, an insane mother, who is locked away in a bedroom, and some other people. Artemis Fowl then kidnaps Holly Short. Artemis's cool butler is taken down by a troll and is almost killed by it. Holly heals him. Artemis fowl is a really good book! Ella! (Elouise) ;)