Parent and Kid Reviews on

As Brave As You Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 3 parent reviews

Sort by:

Family, the good and the bad.

So first the warnings. Mentions of divorce, abuse, suicide, war, and death of a (adult) child. So I like to read books before I put them on my shelf for students and this one has been in my closet a few weeks. Honestly I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was really good. The story is about two brother who live in the city, going to their grandparents for the summer (who they mostly only know through phone conversations) so their parents can spend the summer mending their relationship. They soon learn their relationship has mostly been over the phone because their father has a strained relationship with his father (the grandpa). They spend the summer doing as boys do in the country but also discovering the history of their family and all the scars with it.

Great!

I'm a teacher of 5th graders, but taught 7th/8th grade English for years prior. I think this book is fine for mature 10 year old readers and those who enjoy reading, but it was tough to get into for more reluctant readers I had in 7th grade. The content isn't inappropriate for 10 yo's at all--but definitely not any younger. I'd say most 6th graders would be able to handle it--all the way up to high schoolers (and adults). It does open with kids cleaning up dog poop, so some "surrendered" the book after that--others knew it was just a chapter and the book wasn't about that!! I liked it a lot--Jason Reynolds is a talented writer--this is very different from his Track Series (Ghost, Patina, etc, which I enjoyed more), but still a great read.

Enjoyable family listen

We listened to this as a family and really enjoyed it. Funny, sweet, poignant intergenerational family relationships. It does deal with divorce tangentiallly, and the language is occasionally worse than what is listed above. That was disappointing for middle grade fiction, particularly with an exclamatory, “Jesus Christ” and a few instances of “hell.”