Parent reviews for As Brave As You

Poignant summer adventure brims with family love and hope.

Adult Written byAlison S. October 21, 2018

Great!

I'm a teacher of 5th graders, but taught 7th/8th grade English for years prior. I think this book is fine for mature 10 year old readers and those who enjoy reading, but it was tough to get into for more reluctant readers I had in 7th grade. The content isn't inappropriate for 10 yo's at all--but definitely not any younger. I'd say most 6th graders would be able to handle it--all the way up to high schoolers (and adults). It does open with kids cleaning up dog poop, so some "surrendered" the book after that--others knew it was just a chapter and the book wasn't about that!! I liked it a lot--Jason Reynolds is a talented writer--this is very different from his Track Series (Ghost, Patina, etc, which I enjoyed more), but still a great read.

Educational Value
Adult Written bySusanVB August 4, 2018

Enjoyable family listen

We listened to this as a family and really enjoyed it. Funny, sweet, poignant intergenerational family relationships. It does deal with divorce tangentiallly, and the language is occasionally worse than what is listed above. That was disappointing for middle grade fiction, particularly with an exclamatory, “Jesus Christ” and a few instances of “hell.”