Kid reviews for Beauty Queens

Sharp satire mixes girl-power themes with violence, sex.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLuckyDoodle November 17, 2016

Not for immature teens or children

I thought that the book had an amazing and inspiring message, with for the most part strong female leaders. I recommend this book to most teens that enjoy thrilling books, but like books that include sex, as well as cursing. If you are mature, and responsible, then I believe you are ready for this book. If not then don't bother. Parents beware, I'm not sure I'd want any of my kids to read this book at a young age. Like I said some parts of the book are inappropriate for children under age 13.

Teen, 13 years old Written byusername_evie157 April 1, 2016

Amazing 10/10

This is a well written, hilarious book that encourages diversity and being your own person. It explores mature topics but is a great book with positive messages and emphasis on girl power and independence.

Teen, 16 years old Written bynicole22lauren November 3, 2014

Beauty Queens-A guide to being a modern girl

This book illustrates perfectly what growing up as a girl in today's society really is. It acknowledges just about every social justice issue we deal with today. If parents think that this book goes too far for their teenagers they need to realize that their children are exposed to these 'issues' every day not only at school, but in the media that they are so exposed to. I find this book extremely empowering. Beauty Queens is about being who you want to be and who you are comfortable being. If you want to have sex go for it, if you're not in a good mood that's okay, you don't have to say sorry after giving your opinion. These and other situations mentioned in the book are so relevant in today's society. I really believe that these subjects should not be so taboo and we should be educated about these situations. Altogether a great read, not only does Beauty Queens portray several powerful messages, but it's funny, well written and extremely relatable. A must read for teenaged girls everywhere.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycookiechikki November 17, 2012

Classic 'stuck on a deserted island' theme turned into a hilarious novel with much unexpected twists!

This book is very entertaining and funny. You know a book is good when it makes you laugh out loud and that is exactly what I did throughout it. It starts of with a group of teenage pageant girls who are all flying on a private jet to some big pageant contest when the jet crashes on a 'deserted' island. sounds cheesy, I know. But it gets good. Most of the book is all about surviving in the wilderness and all is going fine when a pirate ship rocks up on the shores with a rather interesting surprise... I wont spoil the rest but I will say that there is a slight chance that the girls weren't really deserted on the island. But I will warn you, there is a scene where one of the girls gets drunk and ends up going skinny dipping which then leads to an explicit sex scene that I swiftly skipped at the first hints of it occurring (there is also a same sex make out scene, nothing too detailed). After skipping it, the scene was never mentioned explicitly again so I read on to see the ending, which was absolutely superb! Definitely worth reading for sure.

Teen, 13 years old Written byoZuzanna December 2, 2011

Great Book, Mature 13 and Older

A really good book. A group of beauty pageant queens crash on an island. It seems like a common story; until you discover the irony. These girls are prissy, girly, and rely on makeup on a daily basis. When they try to make their new home and find food and water, many adventures happen. :)