All parent member reviews for Before I Fall

Educator and Parent Written bysuper_momy_4646 January 14, 2013

i think it is truely a amazing book it gives preteens a valuebul leason
Parent of a 14 year old Written bywillowdust April 5, 2011

Parent of a 10, 12, and 18 year old Written byMDmomof3 October 6, 2012

Be aware

Just started this title and am pre-reading for my middle school daughter. Trying to find some titles she might enjoy to foster a love of reading for pleasure. First chapter the main character has plans to lose her virginity and is glad she is 2nd to last of her friends to do so. Wouldn't want to be the last one! I may continue reading to see where the storyline goes, but I won't be recommending to my daughter anytime soon. It's rated 9th grade and up on Amazon, but I don't agree that a 9th grader needs to be encouraged that racing to lose your virginity is an acceptable goal. Hopefully, in this groundhog day scenario, she will change how she feels about herself and it will have a redeeming ending, we'll see. Edit- finished the book and enjoyed the Main character's transformation as she worked her way to maturity in stages. Knowing that her actions have no lasting effects, she naturally goes crazy taking all the risks that, in life, a teen might be too afraid to attempt. She quickly learns that there is more to life than popularity and selfishness. During her life, her good choices and bad choices had a ripple effect on the people surrounding her. She learns to accept responsibility for all of it as her journey takes place. Overall, it has a good message to teens about what's REALLY important in life-friends, family, kindness,etc. As for the messages regarding sex, there is no redeeming message. She never really examines why she should or shouldn't have sex with someone even though she is being introspective about all the other decisions she has made. With the huge amount of emphasis made on this issue during her short life, I would like to have seen some internal dialogue about why she made her choice. Instead, on this one subject, she remains shallow.
Adult Written bybookpearls May 18, 2010

I fell for it

Love the story. Every mean girl should read it. After her death, Sam gets a chance to make changes to her life. To live it differently and see how things play out. It's blunt, it's raw, it's a realistic view of teen life. Very well written, orchestrated plot. Layers of life - past and present are analyzed and sometimes changed. It has sweet and rough points.
Adult Written byBeeturnier February 28, 2012

Simply amazing

I personally think this book was emphatically genius. I read it in three days. I seriously don't know why sex and language is an issue to parents; parents should know that their children are already exposed to such environment with sex and foul language at this age and that is just the reality of it ;and keeping them from reading this book it not gonna keep them away from it. But even there that's besides the story's whole point, this story puts forward an important matter which is bullying. This book can definitely change peoples perspective their social behavior.
Adult Written bytobier January 19, 2015

Educator Written bycrazy for reading July 4, 2011

For mature readers

I've read LOTS of young adult novels, but I've never before encountered one that talked about sex this much. The main character learned and changed over the course of the novel, so I felt okay about it by the time I finished it. I teach seventh, eighth, and ninth grades, and I recommend this only to the most mature of my ninth graders.