Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Before I Fall

From suicide to bullying, every tough teen topic is present.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 18+ year old Written byMDmomof3 October 6, 2012

Be aware

Just started this title and am pre-reading for my middle school daughter. Trying to find some titles she might enjoy to foster a love of reading for pleasure. First chapter the main character has plans to lose her virginity and is glad she is 2nd to last of her friends to do so. Wouldn't want to be the last one! I may continue reading to see where the storyline goes, but I won't be recommending to my daughter anytime soon. It's rated 9th grade and up on Amazon, but I don't agree that a 9th grader needs to be encouraged that racing to lose your virginity is an acceptable goal. Hopefully, in this groundhog day scenario, she will change how she feels about herself and it will have a redeeming ending, we'll see. Edit- finished the book and enjoyed the Main character's transformation as she worked her way to maturity in stages. Knowing that her actions have no lasting effects, she naturally goes crazy taking all the risks that, in life, a teen might be too afraid to attempt. She quickly learns that there is more to life than popularity and selfishness. During her life, her good choices and bad choices had a ripple effect on the people surrounding her. She learns to accept responsibility for all of it as her journey takes place. Overall, it has a good message to teens about what's REALLY important in life-friends, family, kindness,etc. As for the messages regarding sex, there is no redeeming message. She never really examines why she should or shouldn't have sex with someone even though she is being introspective about all the other decisions she has made. With the huge amount of emphasis made on this issue during her short life, I would like to have seen some internal dialogue about why she made her choice. Instead, on this one subject, she remains shallow.

Adult Written bysuper_momy_4646 January 14, 2013

i think it is truely a amazing book it gives preteens a valuebul leason

Parent of a 14 year old Written bywillowdust April 5, 2011

Adult Written bybookpearls May 18, 2010

I fell for it

Love the story. Every mean girl should read it. After her death, Sam gets a chance to make changes to her life. To live it differently and see how things play out. It's blunt, it's raw, it's a realistic view of teen life. Very well written, orchestrated plot. Layers of life - past and present are analyzed and sometimes changed. It has sweet and rough points.

Adult Written byBeeturnier February 28, 2012

Simply amazing

I personally think this book was emphatically genius. I read it in three days. I seriously don't know why sex and language is an issue to parents; parents should know that their children are already exposed to such environment with sex and foul language at this age and that is just the reality of it ;and keeping them from reading this book it not gonna keep them away from it. But even there that's besides the story's whole point, this story puts forward an important matter which is bullying. This book can definitely change peoples perspective their social behavior.

Adult Written bycrazy for reading July 4, 2011

For mature readers

I've read LOTS of young adult novels, but I've never before encountered one that talked about sex this much. The main character learned and changed over the course of the novel, so I felt okay about it by the time I finished it. I teach seventh, eighth, and ninth grades, and I recommend this only to the most mature of my ninth graders.

Adult Written byJust Rice January 21, 2016

AMAZING! AESTHETICALLY PLEASING! STUNNING!

This book is #bestbookever. It includes deadly topics such as cyberbullying that leads to a very tragic and dramatic suicide.

Adult Written bytobier January 19, 2015
Parent Written byBraedon P. August 12, 2017

Before I Fall

First of all this book has strong language when you first open the book to the prologue such as s--t, f--k, d--n, and hell.Has lots of sexual references and a strong sex scene.Acohol and tobacco use and a teen party with beer (teens get high.)Strong violence such as suicide with a gun and attempts and a car crash. If rated R- For strong violence including sexual content,Language,and Teen partying

Adult Written byMarcel Ray Duriez D. March 17, 2017

Before I fall

This is a pre-teen book, and that is all I going to say, this writer is getting crap over this book, its teen and younger, there in high school, and girls doing that, mom and dad, just so you no little sweety of your is not that innocent, sex is not a thing in this book, think'n about losing it at 17 is, and head up kids these day's do that, at ages far before that... age, long before, slight bullying, slight drama talk, of hate, yet this book is old now to teens, and it's become kids reading. I am not even sure, if a teen's would say- this holds them any longer, I feel, it not mean... enough- or sexy enough- or whatever- it's not pushing what it needs too for a movie either, yet I believe in this writer, as she know speaking with her over days passed, she and I have chatted about this book and how now after 7 years her book is now outdated, I feel bad for her over it, yet that is what happen the group of kids change, and the ones coming up see things in music that is far far more graphic, then this... ps. thanks for believing in me too! Think about others, massage, and grow up- teens can relate to Sam, and bossy girls- she has to kiss butt for- teen parties some yet not overdone- money is not a thing in this- Sex is not having it its think about it- at 17 come on- teens have sex.

Adult Written byTris46DogLover January 3, 2016

Okay

I read it and I loved it! But I do think it is not appropriate for children under fifteen. The language used in the book may offend your child and cause him or her to use these words in public. I enjoyed it and it has a educational value, teaching students the importance of bullying and how the use of power has severe consequences. Overall, it is a extremely good book, but Divergent is as equal.

Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byJen B. August 6, 2018
Adult Written bydvdgirl August 5, 2018

not bad.

the book is deeper with more details but has some stuff from the movie, good book.

Adult Written byKatherine M. March 26, 2018

Loved the message, hated the ending (although completly necessary)

Before I Fall is a fantastic book with great character development from the main character, however the themes are mature and can be hard to pick up.