Kid reviews for Before I Fall

From suicide to bullying, every tough teen topic is present.

Kid, 12 years old October 15, 2010

AMAZING Book!! :D

I loved this book!!!!! It had a lot of sexual things and teen drinking in it. But I thought it had a great message about how bullying can really affect people in horrible ways. Kids who are 12 and older can understand that this is part of life. It kept me turning page after page! This si an awesome book!!!!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byKatherineLovesJake July 9, 2010

Loved It To Pieces

LOVE IT! i read this when i was 12. it does have a lot of sexual content, and i feel that once you turn 12 or 13 sex is not something to laugh at. girls mature quickly. i enjoyed this book and after reading it i felt more educated in what can really happen to you once you hit high school.and the launguage is nothing i havent heard or used before.its one of my fave books!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySlipperyQ June 8, 2011

Fearless

This book is one I hold close to my heart, for sure. And there's a good, personal reason for that- there's one big part of this book people look over. Yes, it's a poignant stand against bullying. But since I was very, young, I have feared to die. At the begining of the book, so did Samantha. After her adventure, and finds her redemption in saving the life of Juliet Sykes, she dies. But her description of death doesn't scare me. In fact, it helps quell my fear. She says that people say you watch your whole life happen again before you die, but she sees only her greatest hits. She says that, "That's when I realized that time doesn't matter, because some moments go on forever. Even after they're over, even after you're dead and buried, those moments are lasting still, on and on, into infinity." She also says that dying is a "lifting feeling, like laughing." She treats death as a beautiful thing, as if you just spend the rest of forever reliving the best moments of your life. Even though it has big, whimsical chunks, it's that part of it that has stuck with me the most- because when I'm scared, it's comforting to think that maybe I can find the salvation that Oliver expresses at the end of her book.

Teen, 15 years old Written byxxamandaxx13 March 7, 2011

Awesome book

In the beginning the messages are not very positive but as the novel progresses the messages become positive as well as the main character. The ending was very sad though

Teen, 14 years old Written byalliecat33 February 18, 2016

Amazing Positive Message

At the beginning of the book, Sam is a mean, popular girl, and she makes it clear that as a popular teen, she can get away with most anything. Having sex with her boyfriend Rob is frequently mentioned (though it never happens), and she and her friends smoke and drink a considerable amount. After the fatal car accident, Sam relives her death day seven times before fully understanding the events that surrounded her death. The message in Before I Fall is SO TRUE AND AMAZING AND CLEAR. Lauren Oliver portrays in her novel that each choice we make has an effect on the people around us. In Sam's case, her bad choices led to Juliet Sykes committing suicide. It shows that every day is like a web, and our decisions branch out and make different things happen with different choices. This is definitely a good read for mature readers. I first read this novel in 6th grade, when I was 12. As an ingenuous 6th grader at the time, the only things I really caught on to were the "inappropriate" concepts like sex and smoking and alcohol. I re-read it in 7th grade and I was able to fully grasp the amazing positive message of the book.

Kid, 12 years old March 9, 2011

high schoolers would love it... preteens, to intense

very good and deep

Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigirl September 20, 2010

About the real world

I loved this book....I am 14 now but read it when I was 13. I found that there was a lot of sexual things and drinking but it's a part of life and every teen age girl has to deal with it sooner or later. This book kept me reading and showed me how good life is and to live for the moment!

Kid, 11 years old May 3, 2017

Amazing book

As a mature preteen I thought this was an amazing book. Although it had a fair bit of sex and drugs it was nothing too inappropriate for teens and mature preteens, as long as they can tell when Sam (the main character) is doing the wrong thing or the right thing. This book has realistic character growth and plenty of good role models, for example: Kent, Sam's mother, Izzy, and (towards the end of the book) Sam. My parents allowed me to purchase this book as long as I talked to them if I had any questions, however everything I read I had heard before so I didn't. The language isn't any worse than what kids at my school use, and some of it I even use myself. I recommend judging your child's maturity rather than age when considering this book, as some less mature preteens could get the wrong idea. Overall, I loved all of it except the ending. It kind of ended on a cliffhanger and it was hard to tell what had happened but I understand why it was written that way. I definitely don't regret reading it and it is now one of my favourite books. I would definitely recommend Before I Fall.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGreysonGirl98 December 8, 2012

Good,but mature

The worst thing about this book is the language; the sex is one short scene and nothing that terrible or graphic ever happens. This is an emotionally difficult book, so make sure your child is old enough to handle death, depression, and the fact there aren't happy endings sometimes. But a very powerful message about how we treat others and standing up for your beliefs.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybook_lover15 April 22, 2011

looooovvve it!

in life there are no second chances. so live your life the right way the first time because there's no going back. and i think that anyone who has read this book would tell u the same thing(;

Teen, 14 years old Written byk3ns3y:) October 26, 2011

Loved it! Perfect for teens!

I fell in love with this book!! Its definetly one of my favorites,i couldn't put it down! I finished the whole thing in 3 days. I think its appopriate for ages 14 and up. I read it when I was 13,and i think if your a mature 13 year old then its appropriate. Although it did have a lot of sexual references,the book wasn't completely based on that. It had a great message and I highly recommend it!:)
Teen, 13 years old Written byAthena Keene May 6, 2011

Strongful and Soulful Meassages, Truth behind real life actions- why not great for 12+?

Hi everbody! I'm twelev and am doing a book report on this for school. Yes- i know what you're thinking. But to tell you the truth i don't think you can really place an age like fourteen on this. i mean sure, there the suggestion of sex, heavy drinking, and drugs; but to tell you the truth if your teen or kid ('casue im not a teen ((yet anyway)) knows the dangers and the hard truth reality about this stuff, the less likely they'll be the kids doing these things. It also depends on certain and independant kids maturity levels. im not the kid telling sick sad sex jokes on the bus for shock value. im the straight A student who knows the dangers of drinking and driving (or drinking in general), drugs, haveing early age sex, and i also know the love and caring everybody should deserve. I know that even the little off kid at school deserves kindness. Like my grandfather always used to say "...Remember, from the head of the company to the janitors- everybody deserves respect."

Teen, 14 years old Written byhey youu November 15, 2010

10/10

Amazing book overall, I would defenitly reccomend this to all female teens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byUsagimarie October 13, 2011

Best 17$ I ever spent

I really enjoyed this book. The reason i started reading it is because the character has the same name as mine, but it ended up being an amazing book. For me, it wasn't to sexual, mostly because the whole time she says sex=love and if you don't love someone you shouldn't, but how PRESSURED teenagers are into having it. These days, being a high school senior and still a virgin isn't as common as parents think. I think that it does a really good job of explaining that you can't just let your friends pressure you into if you really don't love that person.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookee September 9, 2011

Inspiring to the point that it would make you realize how important life is. :)

When i first read this book, i was actually shocked because it really did had a lot of sexual and violent contents but somehow I realized that reading books like this is not about HOW OLD YOU ARE. It is about HOW MATURE YOU ARE. You cannot be innocent forever. I also appreciated how the main character changed. She made me realize how short life is and that we should make the most out of it. I just want to say that I don't remember anything about Sam having sex with anybody. She just almost did. I don't know if the one who made the review really read the book well :))

Teen, 13 years old Written byidgaf. August 31, 2010

Perfect for teens

I love this book. It makes you think about life more.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykimberly_1704 July 5, 2017
It may have some inappropriate things for teens with not much understanding yet, but it really makes you wanna read more. I stayed up late at night for a long time!

Teen, 13 years old Written byEmma_shaw January 7, 2017

Amazing message!

At the beginning of the book Sam doesn't give readers very positive messages. At the beginning her friends have been pressuring her to have sex, but she never ends of having it. Their is also drinking and drugs, but it just matters how mature you are if you wanna read it. Coming home from a party Sam and her friends get in a car accident so she has to relive that day 7 times till she figures out why this is happening and what she needs to do to fix it. The message gets more positive toward the end of the book, and it's that if she could relive a day over and over again she'd want it to make an impact on not just her life, but for somebody else's. It's one of the best books I've ever read and I ended up reading it in two days. I was never bored while reading it, so I just kept turning the pages. If you do read I hope you like it as well. :) I recommend it for any teenager or adult.

Kid, 11 years old July 15, 2017

Read This In Less Than A Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe common sense rated this book appropriate for teens sixteen and up. I am not going to deny the fact that there was quite a bit of iffy stuff here, but it surely wasn't too much for an eleven year old to handle. Actually, this book was so good that I read it in less than a day. SOME STUFF PARENTS MIGHT WANT TO KNOW: *There is talk about sex *Main characters get drunk *There is alot of kissing and stuff *A girl tries to take her own life *Main characters smoke (like, alot) Some people may disagree, but despite the more mature themes, this book was suspenseful, funny, and an epically addictive read. I loved it, and think it's appropriate for kids ages eleven and up (sixteen and up is just unbelievable). I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking for a good, suspenseful read.

Teen, 14 years old Written byYuki April 5, 2017

Truthful And Heartfelt

I'd like to first say that age doesn't really matter, the kid's maturity does, however. There are some rather adult things in the book, such as when Sam (the main character) flirts with her math teacher, resulting in a kissing scene and some groping. She temps him with her skimpy outfit, a short skirt and a pair of thongs. I do agree that the novel provides a strong message but some parts are really cringe-worthy. It also takes the girl a while to change .....but it somehow still sends out a message: Having sex early. She wanted to do it to get it over with. All in all, the book was ok. Not something that I'll remember five years from now but not something I would've regretted reading. Really it's all your choice.