All parent member reviews for Between Shades of Gray

Educator and Parent Written byCafeolemom August 1, 2012

Terrific historical fiction

Great read with a lot of historical detail about a little known subject. I teach 8th grade literacy and plan on using this for a unit study.
Parent Written byhmgh February 24, 2016

Brought up a lot of questions!

My 10 year old daughter bought this book at her school book fair. She started reading the book at school that day. Before she even came home from school, I received an email from her teacher saying that my daughter wanted to know what a prostitute was. It is a powerful story, but I think I would have preferred my daughter was a little older when she read it.
Adult Written byRAAAAAAAAR May 18, 2015

Maturity Counts.

When it comes to this novel maturity is what is most important. There is minor nudity but one of the main character's mother was almost completely forced to sleep with one of the guards to get better rations to share with her son and some of the other prisoners. Another in appropriate scene that may have been to graphic for younger children was when everyone was brought to a bathhouse and they had to get undressed in front of one of the guards, apparently the guard in charge was a giant perv and groped Lina's chest. There is plenty of death making this a sad book and shows plenty of ways to die at the time. the fact that Lina was almost always living in constant fear but held onto that last shard of hope makes this a wonderfully written survival book and I strongly recommend it if you are mature and old enough to read this book.
Parent Written bypascalgrove May 29, 2012

Amazing Book - learn about history that few know

Educator Written bysixthgradefun April 2, 2016

Awesome alternate perspective on WW2

One of the reasons I like this book so much is that it shows an oft-overlooked perspective on a time period so many know so much about already. The story is heartbreaking and the reader is carried along for the ride. It's value lies in the empathy that is developed--and because the perspective isn't told often, the reader is learning right there with the narrator. What gave me pause in this book--and why I put ages 14+--is the violence and sex in it. The guards are incredibly violent and ruthless. It's insinuated that a woman has sex in exchange for favors from the guards. This may go over some kids' heads, but it's in there. As a middle grades educator, I make this book available only to the students who can handle it (particularly if they've already devoured other books like The Hunger Games).