Parent reviews for Bookmarks Are People Too!: Here's Hank, Book 1

Bookmarks Are People Too!: Here's Hank, Book 1 Poster Image

Based on 1 review

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Silly fun and more legible type - what else could a second grader ask for?

In first grade, my son liked to have stories read to him - but the other way around - not so much. He'd read a half a page and get tired out or need to take turns partner reading with a parent. To boost his interest in second grade, we tried reading some stories set in zany school settings, like the My Weird School Series, by Dan Gutman. A good start. This book is a gem. It's not that the story is AMAZING, it's that it's totally ACCESSIBLE. Great vocabulary, goofy, relatable, and in a font that my son reports is a lot easier to read (more bottom heavy instead of fashioned on quill-pen-writing styles, which renders many other fonts outdated). He read 6, 9, and 5 pages aloud three days running. Then, he brought another Here's Hank book home from the school library. For him to see himself as actually reading chapter books is pure gold. Thanks, Hank, for being so darned regular. It's great to see a series with the full range of emotions kids experience socially and in school at this age. It's not all roses and that reflects life and builds resilience.