All parent member reviews for Brave New World

Parent Written byquovadisnp May 15, 2012

Must Read

The main reason I write this review is not to discuss how great this book is but to counter the parents who condemn it because they fail to actually read it. It seems MANY parents simply skim through it and see certain words such as "savages" and "negroes" and then run with the assumption that this book is racist and call for its banishment. Nothing annoys me more than overprotective parents that cannot read. This is an amazing book so don't deprive your child of it. Early sci-fi authors, believe or it not, have a lot of lessons to pass on and, growing up, I learned a lot from Huxley, Asimov, Bradbury, and other such authors.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMamaBearNJ April 21, 2012

Ironic dystopian utopia

This classic SF novel still has relevance for our society. Huxley satirized the growth of "mass society" -- mass production, consumerism, mass media, popular culture, and conformity to a homogenized social norm -- at a time when TV was one of the futuristic elements of the story. He correctly predicted the way people would use TV as a "plug-in drug." His "brave new world" is ironically a dystopia that is trying to be a utopia: keeping people happy by keeping them from thinking, with enough consumer products, entertainment, drugs, and sex to distract them from potentially destabilizing ideas like politics, religion, or morality. I first read this in downtime at the library when I was about 14 or 15 and it blew my mind. A great teaching text, but also great for teenagers to discover on their own.
Adult Written byhamstergurl09 February 8, 2013

Favorite Book

I was required to read "Brave New World" for school (I am fifteen and in grade ten), and I typically hate required reading, so I did not have high hopes going into this. I now see the error of my ways! I adore "Brave New World." It is probably the best dystopia novel; way better than 1984. In this book, set about six hundred years in the future, family is obsolete and technology has taken over. The world created by Huxley is eerie in how real it feels. This seems like it could be a potential future society. The plot centers majorly around a "savage" (a person who is much like modern-day people) entering this world, and his struggle to understand and adapt. This book is amazing. I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy May 10, 2013

A little overrated.

The romance in this book was gross. Because it was too much romance, and it made me feel uncomfortable. Other than that, the book is actually decent.
Parent of a 7, 9, 11, 14, and 15 year old Written byjgstanding September 10, 2015

I get where the author is going...but why so raunchy!

This book is not for children if you care about their morality. It degrades sex, love, family and parents. There are things in here I just don't want my kids seeing, especially in the school setting as a "satirical work". There has to be better, more appropriate satirical books out there for school.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 April 30, 2014

One of the best novels of all time!

I never ever read books twice! I'm simply not one of those people that has a favorite novel and reads it over and over again. But for my term paper for senior year, I wanted to revisit a book I so thoroughly enjoyed that I had to read in my sophomore year: this novel. Not only did I find new things in it to enjoy, but I felt I appreciated its content more now that I matured a little bit. If it's not already required reading in your school, go out and get this book from the library, or buy it so you can reread it in a few years! It's scathing light onto a society that's terrifyingly not too far off from where we are now is a revelation, and Huxley's scientific jargon blends well with his creative, illustrative writing and fleshed out characters. It does have sex and the drug soma features prominently, but that's all a part of its message: a warning so our society never ends up like the World State in this book. It's amazing it's still relevant after eight decades and counting.
Educator and Parent Written bymeinhare October 3, 2013

Everything in Context

I've read some of these reviews, and I think there needs to be some context here. The sexual content in the book is exaggerated but not explicit. It's simply to draw a stark contrast to our society and how different it would be if norms were turned on their head. The same with the castes, the consumerism, the violence etc. This is not "How Huxley thought the world would look" Science fiction writers simply explore futuristic possibilities to weave an interesting story. When talking about population control and a stable economy, this certainly could be one of many possibilities in the far distant future. However, I think that's missing the point entirely. One reviewer here got to the point with this simple statement: "The question is: ' is it better to be free or happy?' The reader is left to decide" I think this sums up the whole book pretty well. So there's the plot the setting, and then the theme... be sure to take all three into account when reading and reviewing this book
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 23, 2013

Very uncomfortable.

This is one of the "sexiest" books I've ever read. It just amuses me how Huxley thought that this is what the world would be like in the future, and this was written in the 1930's! This is a weird book to read, but kinda funny, in a satirical way.
Parent Written byesmee121 November 28, 2012

Amazing Novel; it will keep you thinking and wanting more.

I read this book when i was in 10th grade. It is an amazing novel that will keep you interested and wanting to read more. It really helps us appricitate that we do not live in a world like Lenina, Bernard and and Mustapha live in. They are controlled by the government and all the advanced technology. Made me think what if our world goes that far with technology and conditioning society? Just an amazing book.