All parent member reviews for Bridge to Terabithia

Adult Written bymomandteacher April 9, 2008
This is a book that I will require my nine year old son to read in the next year or two. I want him to understand that not every kid lives the easy life that he does. Being a teacher, I know that many of his classmates deal with much heavier issues on a daily basis than the main characters in the book face. I will use it as a starting point for conversations with him about death, religious tolerance, and family issues. I have taught the book to sixth graders, almost all of whom have appreciated its value and had great empathy for the main characters.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byjenjergrl September 7, 2012

Bad Words

My son brought the book to me and was uncomfortable with the language being used. Early on the book has quite a few words that we don't use. My husband and I are not sure whether to let him continue reading or wait until our son is a little older. I'm not sure he would be willing to read it now. Too bad, because I had heard such great things about the story. A little disappointing that the language would detract from the story.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byhhunting June 4, 2009

A great book, but caution...

I listened to this book on disk with my kids, 12 and 8, which I felt was fine as I knew many of their friends had seen the movie. It is a wonderful book, with some very good themes -- it was good for the kids to hear about kids who were lucky to get one gift for Christmas, who had serious chores that needed to be done without exception (including Christmas,) and who dealt with bullying and hard times using their own smarts. It even touched on the different sides of religion and, of course, the death of a best friend. My biggest issue with this book (aside from the fact I failed to read the back and therefore didn't realize until half way through that one of the main characters was about to die) was the part about Christmas. My 8-year old was a little confused when the author talked about how the parents couldn't afford to give the kids more than one gift from Santa, and I skipped the next chapter when they started talking about how sad it was that the little girl's hope in a guy in a red suit was "sad". I did some fast talking about how odd it was that the parents were so worried about gifts when Santa brought those with him, then moved on. Most of the other issues can be worked with for any age over 8 or 9, as long as the parent is willing to go through each issue either ahead of time or at that time, but wait until they're past the Christmas issue!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byallietx January 13, 2010

Sad but beautiful story for older kids and tweens

My 8 year old son and I just finished this book. Although I loved the book, I wish that I had waited another year or so to read it to my son. For one thing, it is not good for Santa believers due to some scenes that take place at Christmas. Also, it is very sad at the end-- we both cried. My son had trouble accepting the ending, he kept thinking that somehow a "happy ending" that would change the outcome would still happen right until the last page. He was was angry that didn't happen. That said, we both really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book. We loved the main characters' friendship and their lovely kingdom of Terabithia. I am glad we read it.
Adult Written byTeacherCK September 4, 2009

Pefect for 5th-8th graders

I am currently reading this book with my 5th and 6th graders. It is a wonderful tale with a beautiful message about how friendship can transcend gender (which can lead to the discussion of friendship transcending age, race, etc...). However, I want parents to be aware of the use of the word hell used repeatedly as well as an occasional use of other words not used in common everyday language.
Adult Written byberuk February 8, 2009

A must-read book for every 8-12-year-old"

the book is so wounderful

touching story

This is a wonderful book. The main characters are well developed and sympathetic. Jess is a likable boy with an admirable sense of morality and courage. He and Leslie's friendship and their ability to bring out the best in one another is also admirable. The plot is believable and clips right along. Jess's introspections throughout, but especially at the end, are inspirational. Jess and Leslie are 10-year-olds, so one would assume this book is appropriate for the average 5th grader. It is not. There are several mature themes (an abusive father, implied drug use and an emotionally wrenching death) and much about Jess's life is difficult and unhappy. Jess's insightful coping with the death of his friend and the realizations that accompany it about the adults in his life are hardly the stuff of your typical pre-adolescent and won't be appreciated by most children under the age of 15 or 16. A great book, but not before high school unless it's accompanied with perspective-supplying adult discussion throughout.
Adult Written byMartyP April 9, 2008

A sensitive look at a tough topic.

My 10 year-old son asked me to read this with tears in his eyes after he finished the book. When I finished, I had tears in my eyes too. This is a wonderfully written story about dealing with grief and moving past it. It also looks deeply at dealing with feelings of being an "outsider" and dealing with the social pressures of the pre-teen world, which, though it was written about 30 years ago, have not changed too much. I also liked the way the book handled religious issues, showing a child from a non-religious family in a positive light, while demonstrating the lack of understanding of the younger children about other's differing beliefs. I would like to know what it would have felt like to read the book without knowing about the storyline before hand, but that is not a world that I can visit, since I had checked reviews of the movie to see if my kids could go see it. At the time, the answer was no. Now that my son has read the book, we will probably rent it and watch it together.
Adult Written byblondpinke April 9, 2008

Proceed with caution

My Son was 10 when he read this book. This is the only book he has literally flung across the room! Let me explain. At the end of the book the girl in the story dies and is creamated and they explain what that means a little. The idea of creamation was not something we had ever discussed and it really upset him. I was baffled by his responce he is normally a very strong young man but this actually brought him to tears. He did not understand why anyone would burn the body of someone they said they loved. he was distrought for days before agreeing to read the rest of this book. Please know he did like the book but that one part can be upsetting and confusing and can easily take a child and their parents off guard if they are not fully prepared. Just know the limits of your child and be there for them to talk to if they do become upset. We have to talk about this stuff with our children eventually why not over a good book. Just be prepared!
Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

maybe not... but i like anyway

this book is very well written, but does have some bad language. 8 year olds may need to be mature enough, this does have a death of a somewhat liked character. it might disturb some. it was a child, too, that might make a child scared, of their own death, this one is good, but to think about.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byMrsPaws November 28, 2010