All teen and kid member reviews for Bud, Not Buddy

Teen, 14 years old Written bynerdgirl96 January 16, 2011

definitly deserves its awards

I love this book! It has some sad parts but still manages to be funny some of the time. I really like Bud; he has such an interesting perspective on life. I enjoyed Bud Caldwell's Rules and Things for Having a Funner Life and Making a Better Liar Out of Yourself. One thing I really like about Christopher Paul Curtis is that he writes about African-Americans in the North, who you don't hear as much about as those in the South.
Teen, 13 years old Written byassaneopare April 27, 2009
Teen, 17 years old Written byBurninHot_1311 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byber10her January 12, 2010

read it

it is a good book and i think kids and parent should read it
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 13, 2009

One of my favorite books of all time

"Bud, Not Buddy" is (in my opinion) a fantastic tale about an orphan boy in the Depression era who's on a search for his father. It has colorful characters, twists, and plenty of emotion. I read it as an assignment for school, but bought it because I liked it so much.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjustinflores557 September 30, 2015

Read this book

I recommend the book(Bud, not Buddy) to the age i put because it teaches them about the great depression.The story has a sad part to it when poor Bud was going to live with a foster home , which he didn't like like.He had to conquer this big mean boy named Todd who he had to live with.This book is for good for the people who read it that feel bud"s feeling in that time he was living.why the book is meant for good to stop racism like the the whites always didn't like the blacks.I recommend this book who like about history and the past.I gave put this book under the category educational, great messages ,and has good role models. First this book teaches kids about the depression and how racism is a huge problem.The book will teach you kids how bud lived is like in a terrible time but he had his ups and downs threw the way to find his dad.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2011

okay

i think this book should only be read by older kids but over all it was not that bad .
Teen, 13 years old Written byKeds43@aol.com April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2011

cool

ok
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2011

terribul for kids, cool for teens!

it is terribil. Bud gets locked up in a shed overnight, scared because of what his foster parents told him, "there's a blood stain on the floor from the last kid who was in there! And the one before that had a bug stuck in his ear and it didn't come out!" the foster parent really lock him in the dark shed all night! And when he tries to get out he finds they put dead fish heads on the door handle! and they tell him that there are vampire bats in the shed, Bud finds one. then he wacks it with a rake and it's really a hornet's nest all the hornets attack kim and then he finds a way out and has to fend for himself on the street! i don't like this book at all! oh, and it says an unpositave word!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byderay2010 January 11, 2010

bud not buddy

I like this book but in class wen my teacher reads it i go to sleep
Kid, 10 years old December 23, 2009

Great

It is a great book even though I haven't read ALL of it. Sexual behavior is when someone dips someones hand in warm water while there sleeping and they "wet the bed"
Teen, 14 years old Written byEragonfan April 9, 2008

Great Book!

This book remind me of Forest Gump, in which many oddities happen in his life. This is a well written book and should be read by all. Yes, there is some violence, but it's not too bad Stars: 5 Not for children 8 and under
Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2013

Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy is a historical-fiction taking place during the Great Depression. It talks about a young orphan boy, Bud, wanting to find his father, after his mother passed away. But all he had was rocks and posters as clues of who his father was. As Bud set out to find his father, he runs away from his abusive foster family, meets a man who takes him to Great Rapids, and ends up meeting the man who was actually Bud's grandfather, not his father. I thought this book was an average book because it was easy to read and was really straight-forward. The book just states what was happening, without much suspense. Though the book wasn't the most interesting, the book talks about the struggles and accomplishments that people had during the Great Depression. It is like a mini history textbook written in a kid's point of view. To conclude, I would recommend this book to readers who want something simple, yet educational, to read.
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2012

My favorite book!

I love this book, and my old 3rd-4th grade teacher (yes, I had the same teacher for 2 years) loves it too. My friend recommended it to me, since she was still reading it at the time and liked it. The book is just so entertaining! During a cheesy 45-minute weekly school library visit, I managed to read 90 pages (we have lots of activities there, so that's quite a lot). It was just that good! In the book, Bud and some people (if I said who he went with, it would be a spoiler) go to a place called the "Laughing Jackass", but that language is expected for the time period. Also, a man tells Bud what the whites are saying about black people on banners on their houses, and he has to "clean up the language" for Bud. One of the words he says is "Negro", so I think you know what the banners actually said. This book is great! -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Teen, 13 years old Written byAngelcooki March 1, 2012

BEST BOOKI READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!

The best book I've read in my entire life!!!So touching and sad.
Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2011

great book

i read this book in school and its pretty good.i think its ok for mature 8+ he kisses a girl and his foster brother beats him up and he carries a knife and almost stabbed someone
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2011

good book

good book it did involve bud holding a gun so dont read to kids who cant handle boks with guns in it but other than that awesome book. exciting funny everything needed to make a book amazng