Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery

Farcical, highly readable vampire rabbit tale.

Adult Written byTending Bloom April 9, 2008

Very funny

I laughed out loud. Harold is the funniest canine around. Chester is a hoot too. I was concerned about this being about vampires but it really is a dog and cat and rabbit story. Very well written and easy to read. I think all 3rd and 4th graders should read it. White veggies.....what a hoot.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhopemcg February 20, 2012

Great to read out loud

I read this to my 5 year old. She really loved it. There were quite a few jokes that went over her head, but she understood it and we have kept reading the series.
Adult Written byChocolate milk April 9, 2008

Great book

Best kids vampire book ever but your kid will need a dictionary when reading the book.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byahcim3 November 15, 2009

great for all ages

an oh so very good plot mixed with a quirky gift of humor made the book not only funny, but engrossing as well. 4 and a half stars!!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byOrilana July 29, 2009
This book was cute and funny. The story is told by perspective of the two other family pets which is comical in it of itself. It is a good start off point for children who want to begin reading horror/ suspense without being scary.
Adult Written bycooke April 9, 2008

My kids love this book

The characters are quite funny. Chester the cat can be quite sarcastic to Harold, but you can tell by reading this that they both love each other, The sarcasm is somewhat corny, but is just enough for my 8 year old to think is hilarious. For Christmas, my son got another "Harold and Chester" caper called "Howliday Inn". We really enjoy them.
Adult Written byGamer4056 October 19, 2018

Bunnicula: A Rabbit - Tale of Mystery Parent Guide

This book is the first book in the "Bunnicula" book series. It is about a family finding a bunny and then, a cat assuming that the bunny is a vampire bunny using a few books and investigation results as evidence. Bunnicula is a bunny with red eyes, white and sharp fangs, and a black spot on his fur shaped like a cape. This book was created by James Howe and his late wife, Deborah Howe in 1977 before Deborah Howe's death from a type of cancer in 1978. The book was first published in 1979. There is a cartoon animated TV series based on the Bunnicula book series with the same title. Unlike other vampires, Bunnicula drinks juice from fruits and vegetables instead of blood. Funny dark comedy. This book is fictional. That's why the dog in the book loves CHOCOLATE cupcakes and survives after eating them. It is a known fact that in real life, dogs are not supposed to eat chocolate because it has an ingredient (caffeine) that could stop their hearts and they could die. Chocolate is poisonous to DOGS. Summary: "Though scoffed by Harold the dog, Chester the cat tries to warn his human family that their foundling baby bunny must be a vampire.", according to the book in the summary section on the page after the second title page. Violence: Not much. When Chester the cat, asked Harold the dog, to read a book out loud, Chester thought that the book said that they needed a "steak" to stab Bunnicula to death when it was a "stake" that they needed. Chester asked Harold if the steak was sharp enough to kill Bunnicula as he tried to kill him. Chester's intentions were violent. Chester at some point succeedes at avoiding Bunnicula from eating fruits and vegetables for days and when Harold the dog tries to help Bunnicula get some food to eat, Chester jumped and pounced on Bunnicula. Bunnicula escapes. Rude humor: A little. Positive messages/educational value: Some life lessons and morals about friendship. Some details about fictional creatures known as vampires. Lessons on what is right and wrong.

Educational Value