Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Catching Fire: The Hunger Games, Book 2

Sequel just as gripping -- and brutal -- as the first.

Adult Written byXPURPLElemonadex August 14, 2010

Simply epic. What more, it's full of HUMANS!

Its one of the best books I've read in a very long time. Its honestly impossible to put down. Katniss is an amazing teen heroine and her story is amazing. This book had me laughing, crying, gasping... everything I need! It was actually quite educational! If I ever get stranded in a rainforest, I'll know exactly what to do :P The only thing that annoyed me was the ending. It left too much of a cliffhanger for my taste, although I will be at the bookstore the day it opens to by Mockingjay, the sequel and last part of the trilogy.

Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written bymovieviewermom July 23, 2010

A great read for teens and adults

This book (and Hunger Games before it) was hard to put down. Of course you know the heroine will survive, but it was still very suspenseful. My teenagers gobbled these books up. Due to the violence I wouldn't recommend this book for elementary aged kids. Anxiously awaiting Mockingjay......

Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written by4 little ducklings June 3, 2010

revealing...

My only concern about the sex was that there was a female character that was repeatedly found naked. This didn't seem to bother anyone including the character. There were descriptions of lights bouncing of her naked body (breasts in particular) - and I don't really know why it was necessary to include. Other than that it is a fabulous book.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byV1 May 14, 2012

Too many adult themes - not for kids

After reading the series I'm shocked to see kids as young as 9 reading these books. These books are age-inappropriate for most kids under 15. For example, book 2 refers to a character who preys on desperate women who line up outside his door to sell their bodies. Book 3 has a passing reference to incest and sexual deviance. One character describes how his body was 'repeatedly sold' by people in power. In Book 2 the main character gets drunk and vomits. Other characters are alcoholics or drug addicts. Violence abounds. People get shot in the head with little provocation. Whole populations are wiped out in fire bombing and bloody war/rebellion. Characters repeatedly 'trip over decomposing rotting bodies'. Physical and psychological torture abounds. IMHO This is not stuff a 9 or 10 year old should be reading. The books are well written, but make them wait till they are 14+.

Parent of a 3, 10, 10, 11, 13, and 15 year old Written byparty of ei8ht March 4, 2011
This was a gripping book with believable characters and a setting and plot that drew us all in. The violence in the book was shocking, but I think it is meant to be, to be able to relate to the struggles of the protagonists. My only complaints are regarding the increased description of characters being naked. In the first book it was used to describe Katniss being groomed for the games. In the second it is just unnecessary. Johannas character at the training complex? I felt it just added to the shock value of th ebook and did not add anything to the plot. As a parent, I cringed when I read those scenes.

Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written bytracylynh March 1, 2011

Great for 12 year olds who liked Harry Potter!

My daughter really enjoyed the 2nd book in this series. She is almost done with the 3rd and wishes there was a 4th book!
Adult Written byJustin 974 October 29, 2010

Good for teenagers, but no younger than that.

There is a lot of action and stuff, but there's also a decent amount of things that should be noticed when reviewing this for your child. First of all, there is a lot of violence. Not graphic or gory though. Second of all, Katniss kisses Gale and Peeta a lot. Especially Peeta. And finally, there is a lot of alchohol. Haymitch is almost always drunk, Katniss attepts to get drunk, and a few random other people throughout the book are drunk. Now to the good things. It was a great book. One of many positive things is that Katniss always wants to save her family, Gale, and Peeta before herself. Katniss is also a good role model in the book because of that.

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bySandyMom April 5, 2010

read it

great book!

Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byNikkiHobbs June 19, 2010

One of my favorite series!

I LOVE this series, one of my favorites. My son who is Nine, will be starting Suzanne's other kids series. If he likes it, I think I may just let him try this one as well. You fall in love with the characters, even more than the first book. I also think Katniss is an amazing role model, she is all about her friends and family, she is tough and strong, and you fights for what and who she believes in! Once you get started on this series, you won't be able to put it down! :)

Parent of a 17 year old Written bymandalouie143 December 5, 2009
I read both the hunger cames and catching fire within two days; i couldnt set the book down i swear i cant wait till the third arives august 28,2010 and a movie triology is in action with the hunger games coming out in 2011.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjenniejoy September 6, 2010
First of all I must say that one shouldn't review this book unless they read it. A reviewer below gave a long negative review of this book by reading only one page of the book. I find that ridiculous. I am parent of 3 children under the age of 10. I am very strict about what my kids can read, watch and play. When they reach the appropriate age....which I think is close to the actual age of the character Katniss, I can only hope my kids will read this book and we can discuss the incredible themes of this story. Themes of war, survival, friendship, politics, thinking for yourself and loyalty. I highly recommend this book. There is so much educational philosphy to be gained from this story. Its a horrific story......but the good in the human spirit prevails.

Parent of a 16 year old Written byahcim3 November 12, 2009

good for 15 and up. others;read at your own risk!

after i finished this book just as i was going to bed and when i closed the book just sat and stared at the ceiling till 5:45 in the morning!! this is a wonderful and powerful book and i would recommend it to any one of my colleges the violence (like in the last one) was brutal but quite necessary for the plot to continue unbroken, A "smashing good read"

Adult Written byparent14805664 January 16, 2012

thrilling sequal

this is a very good sequel.in one part katniss is teased for being 'pure' but they dont say anything past that or explain what that means. if you let your kid read the first then this is perfectly fine as for violence the only thing they describe in detail is one characters back after he gets whipped but even that is not great detail.this is as good as the first and i strongly recommend it. a lot of people have been talking about how this is not appropriate reading material for teens but you know your kids if they are mature and you think they can handle then go ahead and let them read it.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byMarinMom73 August 11, 2011

A great series for 14+

This book is as violent as the first, and just as good!!!

Adult Written byliliaeth January 2, 2011

I wish more girls would take Katniss as a role model

This book has many strong female role models, genderbends character stereotypes in a way that allows the girl to be the typical reluctant hero, while the two male parts of the love triangle are respectively the boy next door and the wild boy. (aka the equivalent of the sweet girl and the action girl, only male) Female characters actually talk to one another about subjects other than men, clothing or hair. And much of the emotional impact comes from dealing with oppression, and how wealth and starvation are used as weapons of oppression.

Adult Written byACMC1 June 14, 2011

Not Appropriate for Children IMO

Thank-you to Judles10. I am a young mom who is very disappointed and concerned with the media influences on our children and our society. I know many of you felt there were good morals and values presented in these books - I disagree for the most part. Whatever good they contained has been far better presented in beautifully, graciously, poignantly written books and journals based on real events. I don't see any need whatsoever for the sickening details of an imaginary society - as "riveting" as it may be...

Parent of a 13 year old Written bymmenake April 11, 2010

can be a bit frightening

Reading level is appropriate for tweens, but the concept might be scary for some.

Adult Written byolivia6552 June 10, 2012

Great book!

I think that this is a great book. But, some of the content is not ok for tweens. There is a lot of violence and there is some talk about being drunk. There is flirting. Also in the book is Peeta and Katniss sleeping together which may not be ok for younger tweens.

Parent of a 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written bytheotherSarah January 12, 2011

Another home run for Collins, but still too dark for younger teens

Continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, Peeta, Gale, and the grim world of Panem. Another gripping plot, with another ending that demands further reading in the next book. I'm really glad I didn't begin reading this series before the final book was written; waiting for the publication of Mockingjay might have done me in. The character development continues, and I'm impressed by the author's ability to create characters who are simultaneously understated and compelling. In a lesser author's hand, these stories would be depressing, a blunt instrument of nihilism and gore. Bread and circuses at its worst. Collins is masterful in her writing, and when I've completed the trilogy I plan on reading her earlier works, too.

Parent of a 5, 9, 12, and 13 year old Written byKatita October 23, 2009
The book is gripping. Loved to read it and definitely recommend it for teens. It gives you a lot to think about and talk about.