Kid reviews for Chains: The Seeds of America Trilogy, Book 1

Chains: The Seeds of America Trilogy, Book 1 Poster Image

Great for 12 year olds and over!

Taking place during the Revolution, this book focuses on the topic of slavery, which could be distressing to some. There is also a bit of violence and sad topics discussed in the books, though I really enjoyed it!

Please read this review!

I absolutely LOVED Chains! Yet, at first, I couldn’t really “get into it” as much. It took me a while, but once I understood what was happening, I loved it. The characters are so well built, the setting is so descriptive, and the conflicts kept me engaged throughout the entire book and series. Please, please read this book. This series is wonderful and worth your time. I promise you will not regret it! Hope this helps and happy reading!

No words for the rage this book gave me

The author of this book clearly did not do the proper amount of research of black history to be able to write this book. Many events in this book would have never happened so a slave girl. The main character got a bed, was fed, and even got luxuries. That would have never happened to a house slave. The author wasn't able to capture the abusive relationship between the main character and the slave master which just made it seem like the whole situation just made the slave uncomfortable. It is terrible that this book is being read in middle schools.

Awesome1

This book was a little hard to understand because of the wording, but once I got into it I learned new vocabulary and things like that. There are some parts that are a little violent, but they are all things that really did happen to slaves back then, so they are important to learn. This was one of my favorite books I've read (and I've read a lot of books) It also teaches to not let people boss you around if they are treating you wrong.

Very Very good book

I am a child who loves learning about the revolutionary war. I found this difficult to do, however, because the books I read either made no sense to me, or were too mature for me, or too childish, and about 15 pages long. Chains is different. It is just the right level of maturity for me, but other kids may not feel that way, and just warning everybody, it is pretty dark, but most of my classmates have read it and loved it. Overall, a very good read!

Good book!

I really liked this book, but it's definitely not appropriate for kids younger than 12. There is abuse, death, dark scenes and gory images. This book is expertly crafted and shows the struggles of a young slave living with a loyalist family in brand new America.

Amazing!!!!

By far this is the best book I have ever read. If you are not engaged in the beginning of the book just wait. It is amazing!! The story get better and better with every book Laurie Halse Anderson knows exactly what to do and when to do it to keep readers engaged. each character has a different vocabulary making it feel like they truly have their own personalities When your read this book it feels like your there!!

This is one of the best books I’ve read

Although mildly brutal at times, this book is totally worth reading.

Chains is definitely going on my best reads of 2018!

Chains is an inspiring story about a young, enslaved African-American girl. This book includes some beating and hurtful words, but the spirit and bravery of Isabel (the narrator) always makes up for it. A good thing about this book is that it combines history and literature in an engrossing read. Chains really teaches you about what life was like for slaves in the 1700s. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. I would recommend this book for kids 11 and up because some of the more complex themes are more appropriate for older readers.

A book to read

It's great I read it just now and it was amazing Kids r going to grow up and need to learn everything they can its not just "perfect life no violence so happy". That's just trash. It can be a hard book to understand but u will understand when u start maturing which is NOW!!!