All parent member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Parent of a 11 year old Written byasad chishti August 2, 2010

i think it is best for every kid

i love this story
Parent Written byYour Grandma February 12, 2014

What? Hang on a second...

Willy Wonka at some point has one of his guests drink chocolate. Ick. Oh yeah, the guest also swears at the chocolate, gores it up, and then he sells the chocolate. And he also kind of learns his lesson, so that's ok I guess...
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMorniel July 10, 2010

Horror in the guise of "cute"

Roald Dahl's stories are among the darkest, most terrifying examples of the horror genre in existence. While they "reward" a so-called "good" child, they nonetheless portray depictions of abuse, including sexual abuse, extreme poverty and deprivation, and so on. They are far darker and more horrific than any "fairy tale", and the film adaptations (Gene Wilder, Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka, specifically) are even darker and more terrifying than the novels themselves. While "Chocolate Factory" is the best known of Dahl's novels, all of them, without exception, are entirely unsuitable for any child under the age of 15 or so. The books have no redeeming qualities for the age groups at which they are supposedly aimed, unless "redeeming" suddenly means nightmarish, upsetting, and terrifying.
Parent Written byRob Douglas July 20, 2012

Great read

My 4.5 year old loved it, but probably better for 5 years plus.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjkj April 19, 2010

Author Study Review

It's a great book that a lot of kids love because it's funny.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 14, 2010

Never read it, he wants me to recommend it.

I have never read this book but my son, James, always comes up and asks have you read it yet? He is a bit of a reluctant reader, but he really got into this one. He now wants me to read it so I can see how good it is.
Adult Written byLady Marmalade October 30, 2009

Marvelous fun.

While it certainly isn't educational in any manner, this book is a real gem. The amount of creativity that is contained within is exceptional, even 7 years after reading it I can still see the influence that this book, and all of the other fine books Mr. Dhal has written on my girl. Of course that might also be the reason for her insatiable sweet tooth...
Adult Written bylakshitha April 9, 2009

Adult Written bynbridges April 9, 2008

Parent of a 4 year old Written byorangehamster December 19, 2014

Offbeat fun

Once I'd reassured my 4.5 year old that we would see all the children again at the end, it was full steam ahead. I've read it twice to her now and she loves it. What happens to the "naughty" children is so off the scale that it doesn't bother her and she can appreciate the humour. I edited down a couple of the overly long Oompa Loompa song sermons so she wouldn't lose interest. And also the reference to Oompa Loompas getting drunk as that's a bit beyond her comprehension! But the Oompa Loompas themselves were a big favourite.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymutigerpaw May 28, 2014

A Fun Read

I remember my 2nd grade teacher reading this to the class, and i loved it so much. I couldn't wait to read it to my child. While I still enjoyed the story as an adult, I was surprised at all the name calling - "fat" is probably mentioned over 100 times and "ass" several times. But the storyline and the imagination is perfect for kids who love anything and everything chocolate.
Parent Written byjai chand rathore September 15, 2011

book friendly

welldone
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bymarleysmum October 28, 2009

Excellent fun for fives and up

I loved reading it and my son was mesmerised. It;s good fun and very imaginative.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMinh Tran June 9, 2009

Adult Written byayie23 February 1, 2009

"you must read it!"

Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

Fantastic, fun read

I read this book and watched the movie as a kid, and I love them both just as much now as I did then. My son enjoyed it thoroughly, just as much as I did, and I can't wait to watch the movie with him. I don't understand why there are red buttons in the "rate it" chart-it's been given an overall "on" rating, even for as young as 5 year olds to listen to it. I found nothing objectionable in it, although I did have to reassure my son everyone would walk out of the factory just fine in the end. But he's a real worrier, so I'm betting most kids will be ok.
Adult Written bym0nde April 9, 2008

Very well-written! A must read for children and adults alike.

I read "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" when I was 10 years old and re-read it several times until I discovered "James & The Giant Peach", also by Roald Dahl and fell in love all over again with his whacky fables. You must read this book and recommend it to your children and you and your family must see BOTH the movies that have been made from the story.
Adult Written bypraiseldr April 9, 2008

Chocoholic Delight

This delightful tale creates such vivid imagery you'll be tempted to head for the local chocolate store for a snack! The kids can't help but pick up on the fact that the "good" boy is the only one who succeeds in making it through the whole tour, and then gets a huge blessing for his whole family too! A good engaging story that kids will never tire of hearing.