All parent member reviews for Charlotte's Web

Parent of a 14 year old Written bynoorisusan October 10, 2010

5 ages an up

LOVE IT!
Educator and Parent Written byDadaNick45 January 28, 2011

be careful if your children have sensitivity toward animals

Wonderful book but be sure that your children are at an age where they understand the beginning and where Wilbur was almost killed. This could set the tone for a negative reading experience.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJojano May 25, 2010
I read this book out loud to my kids when they were little, and the whole family enjoyed it. Beware: it WILL make you cry!
Educator Written byTeacher9000 February 12, 2014

What's with the swearing pig?

I think the title says it all.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byNish_07 August 21, 2015

Charlotte's Web Book Review

Charlotte's Web book is a great book and it conveys a great message and the book is all about Friendship , Life , Death and Love and it is for all the ages from 10 and it is full of drama and adventure . Summary Charlotte's Web is about a girl named Fern, a pig named Wilbur and a spider named Charlotte. They live on a farm and Fern is Angry when she finds out that Wilbur as a piglet is to be slaughtered so she saves the pig with convincing her dad who works for animals growth and then sell them .She then for weeks she enjoys and make him drink bottle of milk every day so the pig grows but one day she grew big enough to sell so his father sold the pig to Mr.Zuckerman Farms where there are different types of animals are staying. At starting time he had no friends , no going out of the barn and everything got restricted and boring but one day he found a kind friend a Spider named charlotte . They became friend s but the bad news was that at christmas Zukerman plan was to eat the wilbur so to ruin his plan charlotte's got plans so the adventure begins to prove the pig as magical . I would say that the genre of this book is Animals. My favourite character in the book is Wilbur is very kind and Brave and truthful friend .
Educator Written bymaddox121 June 25, 2015

Webcrossed Sadness (everything else is good)

Charlotte died (Wilbur almosed did)
Parent of a 4 year old Written byorangehamster December 19, 2014

A down to earth classic

I warned my 4.5 year old in advance of the spider's fate, there's no way I could've just sprung that on her. So, her first reaction after we finished was to say she didn't like the book because Charlotte died. Clearly, she just needed time to mourn because the next day she wanted me to start reading it again. What I didn't anticipate was her being put off the book at the start because of the threat to Wilbur's life. I think that was more difficult to deal with because there are multiple moments of threat and it's not like dying of old age. But once I reassured her that he would be ok, she was keen to continue.
Adult Written byLowe's man September 19, 2013

teamwork emphasized

This book emphasizes teamwork. Once Charlotte begins to make these messages, all the other animals suddenly like Wilbur and do everything they can to help him. A must read for all children (and adults). For those who are too young to read the book themselves, parents should read the book to their children.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byarudek805 September 26, 2009
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent Written byLightflow February 13, 2015

A wonderful book that many miss the strength of

Children typically do not understand the permanency of death until they are around 8-10 years old, the majority not understanding this until 10. Charlotte's Web is not a cute child's story, but a coming of age story, as Wilber and Fern both grow from childhood to adult. The great sacrifice is given to Wilber to bear as he loses his beloved Charlotte. This is a wonderful book, but the impact of loss, the understanding of interest turning to boys for Fern, the idea of life growing and continuing on even after death and after the loss of childhood, they're LOST if you read before your child hits that developmental stage.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byDogLover in DE November 11, 2011

Great book, but expect tears

I just finished reading this to my 6 1/2 year old. She really enjoyed it despite the very sad part when Charlotte dies. She and I both cried. Interestingly she had attended bug camp and knew that once spiders have babies they die, so she was somewhat prepared.
Adult Written byLhoza August 20, 2011

learning big through little.

you can tell your children a lot through this book. you ncan also learn to understand them better.
Parent Written byEdna Gerrity June 4, 2011

Charlotte's webb....Charlotte is my hero and role model and I am 43

I absolutely love this book... it has been an altime favorite of mine since childhood.... Charlotte still remains my hero and inspiration.... she is my role model and I am 43
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

Perfect Read-Aloud

Adult Written byamo2006 January 20, 2010

Perfect for everyone

This book is amazing. I have read it since I was able to read. Something I do not understand is how someone could think it is to violent or even has to much drug use in it. This book teaches kids so much about life and friendship that every person should read it at least once.
Parent Written byrivermom December 24, 2009

Perfect read-aloud chapter book

My five year old son loved this book. Every question he asked while we were reading was answered almost immediately in the text itself - as if the author anticipated exactly what kids would need to know. We both really enjoyed reading it together.
Adult Written byBusmasterJones April 9, 2008

Classic Children's Book

This is a tale of friendship on many levels. This should be a part of every child's childhood.
Parent Written bymervetekcan May 17, 2016

İncredible!

"It's not often that someone comes along who is a true friend . . ." Fern Arable, eight year old farm girl, stops her father from killing a piglet who has been labeled the runt of the litter. She names the piglet Wilbur and nurses him from the bottle, surrounding him with her love. When Wilbur is able to eat on his own, they sell him to Fern's uncle Mr. Zuckerman, who lives near by. Soon Wilbur finds himself in a barn full of animals and scents of straw, manure, and slops. The only thing missing - is a true friend. That's how a great bond of friendship begins between Wilbur and a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. With Christmas time approaching, Charlotte comes up with a plan to save Wilbur from the mean and cold-hearted slaughter of turning him into the bacon. To persuade Mr. & Mrs. Zuckerman that Wilbur is not an ordinary pig and needs to be spared, Chralotte devotes all her time and strength to weaving words into her web. One morning she presents the words "Some Pig" in her web in the top corner of the barn's doorway. A hurdle of people came to see this miracle, a sign from above, the miracle nobody can explain. That's how a Wilbur becomes an attraction of the state, a famous Zuckerman's pig. Wilbur is not in danger anymore, thanks to Charlotte. But the spider herself is not into loud celebrations - she grows weaker and weaker with each following day. On the day of the Fair, she gets her last strength to accompany her friend on his special trip. Among the cheer of the crowd on the Fair's Grounds, Charlotte quietly makes an egg sac and passes it onto Wilbur's care, quietly staying behind herself: "After all, what is a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while , we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that." Wilbur guards her eggs in the barn until her babies are born in the spring, and while most of them fly away, three baby spiders stay behind and become his friends. He's able to guide them the way Charlotte guided him, which brings a wonderful sense of continuity and satisfaction. In this tender story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us of the wonder and miracle found in the simplest of things. But above all, it is a powerful story of friendship - deeply moving and superbly written - a true, timeless classic. For more comments and reviews… http://www.storebit.com/Books/Charlotte-s-Web-[Hardcover]9780739477076/
Parent Written bylisilove518 June 20, 2013

The Mesmerizing Qualities of Charlotte's Web

Charlotte’s Web is a classic because the book teaches young readers the importance of friendship, love, and how we as humans need to treat each other. These theme’s are universal because everyone, no matter the age, need to remember that the people we spend time with and care for shape the people they are and will be in the future. Our culture has strayed away from what friendship really means and that with friendship comes sacrifice. Charlotte’s Web will always be a timeless literary classic that will live in the hearts of millions of American’s for years and years to come.