Kid reviews for Cinder: The Lunar Chronicles, Book 1

Cinderella as a futuristic cyborg. Pretty cool.

Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2012

THE BEST BOOK EVER!!! DON'T JUDGE IT BY ITS COVER LIKE I DID!!

CINDER IS AMAZING!!!!!! This book truly falls under the category of don't judge a book by its cover. I was recommended this book and was very hesitant to read it judging by the cover and description. But the person had loved it so much i said that i would try it. well, i was up until midnight that night reading. Cinder is a truly magnificent book. Cinder is a great role model because she stands up to her evil adopted mother. This book is a little bit like the movie Contagion in the fact that a terrible plague sweeps over the world, killing almost everyone it infects, and only one person is immune. The fact of a terrible disease killing the whole population might be a little bit scary for younger kids. But, this book is perfect for anyone who like futuristic books, fun books, interesting books, books that keep you on the edge of your seat, heartwarming books, or just basically any books in general. Cinder is one of my favorite books and i recommend it to just about everyone.

Kid, 11 years old June 2, 2016

COMPREHENSION

When you read this book you will HAVE to read the others so if you dont think the series is for you DONT READ IT!!!!!!! this book ends at a cliff hanger where you will run to the bookstore and beg your parents for the next book (scarlet). It shows that diversity is OK saand be who you are. it dosent have many bad words or stuff. this book is a MUST READ. just make sure that you can read the series.

Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2012

Great Science-Fiction draws on Cinderella tale for captivating read!

Cinder is an interesting combination of a futuristic sci-fi and fairy tale, which, surprisingly, works extremely well. This book makes you look at the common-place Cinderella story in a way you never have before. Set in "New Beijing" the story has stronger ties to the original Chinese Cinderella then the European version which we know better. While the book itself is not rich with educational details, it makes one think. The book does not explicitly tie in to any particular event in history, however, Cinder, being a cyborg, is considered an inferior to the 100% human citizens of New Beijing, and this gets proven in a couple of distressing ways. For example, a deadly plague is sweeping the world, and cyborgs are used a guinea pigs, since they're considered not human -- which they aren't fully, but they still think, feel, and care the way humans do. This raises a few questions that have been very important in history: Is every human a "person"? How should "people" be treated? Is is okay to have citizens who don't have the same rights just because they're different? However, despite these setbacks, Cinder is brave and cares about helping her stepsister, Peony, and friends (what she has of them, that is). There is a strong message of freedom, and the book questions if you are truly safe in a world where being safe may mean that you aren't free. There is minimal violence, however, this book is not suitable for very young readers. A deadly disease kills people quickly, and Cinder is sent -- against her will -- to help them try to find a cure. The Lunar queen kills her subjects, and those who escape don't find a better life on Earth. Sci-fi and fantasy fans alike will enjoy this book as it draws heavily on both.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOreotheGoat February 23, 2021

Great book!!

I love this book, perfect for anyone who loves fairy tales but also Star Wars and The Terminator. Anyone looking for a book that will keep you on your toes and daring to keep reading? Well then you’ve found your book!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byFirenze August 20, 2013

Cinder: A New, Intelligent Cinderella Story

I absolutely LOVED this book! Cinder's personality is very self-reliant and smart, and Prince Kai is also an amazing character. While this is a Cinderella story at the core, it's also so much more than that! While readers will probably be confused in the beginning as to the particulars of Cinder's futuristic world, Marissa Meyer does a great job of developing and describing the setting, and the problems posed to the main and supporting characters aren't just superficial, carrying on into the next book. Cinder is by far one of the best books I've ever read (right up there with Harry Potter, Pride & Prejudice, and the Infernal Devices), and I would definitely recommend this for both boys and girls.

Teen, 16 years old Written bystrawberryjam July 27, 2018

Please don't let kids read

I read this book when I was 11 years old (5 years ago). I was pretty mature for my age, and this book still kinda bothered me. Don't get me wrong, its a great book and plot, its just that the environment and events are a little... dark. This is no joke; while I was reading the book, my parents told me my behavior was a little more negative than usual (lol), which alarmed them. I had just started middle school, so they assumed I had picked up some sketchy friends. It was actually because of this book. I became more cynical and irritable.
Now, why am I leaving such a long and discouraging review? Because I wish I hadn't read the book so young. Assuming you've read this far, you're probably wondering whether this book is okay for your child. I was quite naïve, and therefore took some of the happenings in this book too seriously. Theres this one part where the main character has to cut an unconscious girl's wrist to take a tracking chip out, I remember that part freaking me out. Anyways, bottom line is this; I recommend for teens, preferably 13/14+. Thanks for reading!

Teen, 14 years old Written bygeekybookaddict July 18, 2012

I can't wait for the rest of the Lunar Chronicles!!

This novel is a hauntingly beautiful retelling of the classic Cinderella, but it has its own twists and variations. In a futuristic world where a civilization has developed on the moon, Cinder and Prince Kai are teens with romantic feelings towards each other. However, unlike most teen-level novels these days, there is a surprising lack of foul language or sexual content (I will read almost anything fictional or sci-fi, with a preference for supernatural novels, so I've read many of the current teen "hot" novels, whether they are in my age range or not). I spotted one use of a variation of "d-mn" (I don't remember which one, it could've been d-mnit or d-mned) and for the sexy stuff, there was talk about Cinder's ovaries, which were mentioned in a scientific and non-sexual way, and also something about "glamour" making the queen look attractive phisically (she tries to seduce Kai using the same glamour).

My teachers have told me that my reading material is really mature for my age, and this frankly seems like something that would've been appropriate to me when I was ten, but taking into account that the book focuses on a widespread disease that kills people in days (it lends a dark undertone to the novel), I would say that it would be appropriate for the average twelve year old with regards to maturity and a slightly adultlike understanding of the world.

Written byAnonymous January 21, 2021

Great book

First of all, this book is one of my favorites. I recommend all of the books in the Lunar Chronicles, but this one is a little slower than the others and overall more kid-friendly.
There is no actual swear words said but characters sometimes 'swear under their breath.' There are a few mild kisses and scenes with a lot of romantic tension, but I would say that they are all appropriate for kids 10+.
The main reason I say 12+ is because of the violence. There is a plague going around, and two of the main characters close relations die from it. There is a battle scene near the end, but it is not super intense.
Overall it's a great book that I would recommend to young teens who are fans of twists on classic tales, fantasy, and sci-fi.

Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2021

THE BEST BOOK EVER

Teen, 14 years old Written byQueen_K July 8, 2021

Amazing books

The lunar chronicles is one of my favourite series, although Cinder started out slow, trust me when I say it will not disappoint. Each book gets better and better, each a different twist on famous fairytales. These books are suitable for 12+. If you’re still debating on starting this series, read it. You won’t regret it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRLeo2007 July 7, 2021

One of my all-time favorites

I had wanted to read this book for years since my mom read it and really liked it. When I finally was allowed to, I got into it INSTANTLY. This story is great for teens and adults, and it’s targeted for teen girls, but boys can enjoy it also. It’s paced wonderfully and hard to out down. I’m a fast reader, and I finished this in the span of two days, but less than twenty-four hours. I was intrigued from the start. Content-wise, it doesn’t have very much; throughout the series is the occasional use of “h**l” and “d**m.” Yes, there’s a lot of romance, but nothing ever happens or is implied in these books, except for passionate kisses and cuddling. It’s also dark at time, and sometimes a little gory; there are death scenes and heavily emotional scenes. Cinder is a wonderful take in a futuristic fairy tail world. I would give it six out of five stars if I could.

Teen, 15 years old Written byahans June 24, 2021

Awesome!

There is never a dull moment when reading this book. I read it at age 12, and loved and still love it. However, kids under 12 should probably read it with an adult because there is a little bit of violence, but other then that, its great. It also helps teach about not judging others just because they're different- Cinder is a cyborg, and though they are still human, they are treated as lessers.
This is a WONDERFUL book!

Teen, 16 years old Written byGraceAvalanche June 9, 2021
Teen, 14 years old Written byCc5094 May 19, 2021

Cinder

Wow! For starters, this book is written very well. I went into it expecting the basic Cinderella story just with a tiny twist, but it has so many aspects tied in that make it much more interesting. The different aspects of the story: The intriguing plot, the unexpected plot twists, and romance are what makes this novel a must read, a great dystopian twist on Cinderella. If your child is younger and wants to read dystopian novels, this is a great one to read first. Yes, it has violence, but is nowhere near as violent as other dystopias out there.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTruthBeTold... April 26, 2021

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

Ok, so this is an amazing book! It might be a little scary for young kids at times, but I don't think most kids 10 plus would think it was too scary. The series was so so good and while the story was a tiny bit violent it had a lot of good role models and I'd say it is a must-read. THE AUTHOR IS AMAZING and you should totally read all of their books.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIlovelegolas April 22, 2021

I couldn’t put it done!!!

I absolutely am in love with the Lunar Chronicles, and Cinder is the perfect start to the story!!! Although Cinder can be a little cynical, I honestly think it helps her character. She comes from an abusive household and stays strong through it. Iko is one of my favorite characters, and she also plays the role of Fairy Godmother (because this story is based on Cinderella) Iko is very sassy and an extreme fan girl, but she still saves Cinder constantly. And don’t even get me started on Kai! I fell in love with his character immediately, I mean an emperor who has attraction to a basic mechanic and doesn’t care about her class? Wonderful! Plus, every book adds new and very diverse characters. There are asians, black people, white people, middle eastern people and even Lunar people.

The great thing is, the romance in this is super cute but it definitely doesn’t overwhelm the main plot and it isn’t inappropriate. Sure, there might be a kiss or two but they aren’t graphic. The first book has some violence, but it’s decently mild and isn’t too scary. There is some mention of blood and prison.

I started reading this series at ten, and after years I still love it and reread it constantly. I think I was just a tad bit too young for first reading it as some words I couldn’t grasp. An 11 would probably understand this and fall in love just like I did!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMessykiwidoodles April 21, 2021

My favourite book ever!!

This book has great role models because even though Cinder is “different” she still is so amazing. I’ve reread this book multiple times and loved it every time.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMinaz_ace April 12, 2021

Teen, 13 years old Written byBest6634 March 27, 2021

So good!

It is an amazing book, I loved everything about it! I absolutely recommend this book, but it might be a bit scary for children under 10.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMaplelight March 12, 2021

Great read

Great read and fun to think about the inner workings of the Commonwealth country and the Lunars.