Parent reviews for City of Bones: The Mortal Instruments, Book 1

City of Bones: The Mortal Instruments, Book 1 Poster Image

Great book!

I love this series so much! My eldest is completely hooked! There is swearing, but none of it is major or too consistent. A little bit of joking sexual content and a bit of homosexuality if this concerns you. A medium amount of violence but crucial to the plot of the book. But none of it is what you would call a big deal.

Wow!

After seeing so many reviews saying this is a book for ages 16 and up, I'm shocked. Honestly, this is an amazing book. I've screened it for my 12 year old and it seems good. The message is meaningful, of family and being yourself, and if they think it's bad because of the gay couple, then it's the parents' fault.

Looooove it!!!!

I love this book! Cassandra Clare is amazing at creating relatable characters with depth. Looove it!!!!!

A Spectacular YA Fantasy Series!

First of all - I've been reading the series since I was a young teen myself, so I might not be the most unbiased reviewer in the world, but I LOVE these books! I picked up City of Bones from my high school library at a friends recommendation, and here I am about 9 ish years later still reading everything Cassandra Clare puts out. The first series in the Shadowhunter Chronicles (City of Bones, City of Ashes, etc.) is a perfect series for young fantasy lovers from 12 years old and up. It has moderate violence, minor swearing, and while the characters are (for the most part) all teenagers, kissing in the most that happens for the first five books. In the sixth book the main couple have sex together for the first time, but it is vague enough that it is (in my opinion) totally appropriate for tweens. The Shadowhunter Chronicles continues after this first series, and as it does, the books get progressively more mature in terms of sexual content, so children who read the first books at 12 might have to put the chronicle on hold for a couple years before continuing.

Not the best book ever but a solid fantasy adventure

If you are looking for a literary masterpiece appropriate for all ages, this is not the book that you are looking for. However, when I read it I enjoyed the story and found the characters endearing. I actually liked it enough for me to become attached and read the rest of the series so you should give the other books a look first before allowing your child to read this. Many of the other reviews on this book say that they found it inappropriate because the character's go out to a club when they are still underage. However, from my experience, most twelve year olds know what clubs are and as longs you make it clear to them that it is not appropriate for them to go out clubbing it shouldn't inspire them to do it. Other reviews also complain about the language in the book but again, in my experience, most twelve-year-olds are already exposed to this kind of language at school. I guess that I should also mention the fact that one of the book's many couples is same-sex. If you have a problem with this (which in my opinion you shouldn't because it's perfectly natural) you probably shouldn't introduce this book to your child because as the series moves on this couple becomes more center-stage then it is in this book. Besides that, City of Bones is a fun fantasy-romance read that I enjoyed and that most lovers of urban fantasy probably will too.

Not appropriate for middle schoolers or even teens

Commonsense reviewer should warn parents, that this series leads to a very inappropriate, sexually explicit and implicit, sexual violence in book 5(city of souls).

Are you people alright?

This book is great! if you guys think you shouldn't let your kid read this book because there is some Gay and Lesbian themes your nuts. this is saying if they were straight it'd be fine adn you'd let your kid read it then. are you homophobic or something? this book is completely fine for anyone 12 and over

An Amazing Novel!!

I respectfully disagree with the reviews that say this book should be for children in their late teens. I think this novel is great for anyone starting at the ages of 12 or 13. Yes, parents feel that they need to 'shelter' their children from certain topics, but this book is amazing. Please, parents, let your children read this great series. There are a few parts that are considered 'iffy' from a parent's perspective, such as mild cursing (the 'a-word' & 'b-word) but these are only used very few times, as you can count them on one hand. There are also few references to sex, but the word is only used twice, in the span of two sentences. The rest of the references will go over most people's heads. Please let your teen children enjoy this wonderful book!

Vampire and werewolves and romance, oh my!

I'm baffled by the parents and teachers who rated this novel for 15+ or 16+. I am a parent of a 12 year old, an English teacher (I've taught grades 7-12), and a teacher-librarian. This is a popular series in my library, and I think it's a far better choice than much of the fare written for a 12-17 year old audience. I respect parents' right to restrict their children's access to books based on their own knowledge of their child, but it saddens me to think that parents would suggest that teens under 15 are too young to know about homosexuality. Regardless of one's personal views, the reality is that gay people exist, and are people, and ought to be treated with respect. I think it may be a bit naive to think that this would be their first exposure to swear words, as well. What makes this book a good choice for teens is that its characters are fallible, learn from their mistakes,and develop over the course of the novels. The book is well-written and engaging. It presents it's readers with ideas to think about as well as being an entertaining narrative. I highly recommend it for readers who are fans of urban fantasy.