All teen and kid member reviews for City of Bones: The Mortal Instruments, Book 1

Teen, 17 years old Written bytrackgirl175 July 18, 2009

best since harry potter

i love love love LOVE this book. best ever. the characters suck you into the story and keep you guessing till the very end, and even after that. there is just enough romance to get tweens interested but not so much that they're lying awake thinking about terrible things. the blood is no big deal because THERE ISN'T THAT MUCH. great book, i highly reccommend
Teen, 13 years old Written bySky Trekker February 6, 2012

Really really good!

I thought this book and series are amazing. It is funny, interesting, and gripping. And really, why is it a big deal that there's minor swearing and gay characters? There's nothing wrong with that, is there? No. The adults who say that it is 17 and up must be way too protective as parents. I scoff at you.
Teen, 15 years old Written byClearastheSea April 13, 2011

Definitely iffy for teens and definitely NOT for tweens.

This series, as a whole, is too sexual to be appropriate for kids 12+. There are multiple scenes implying sex, especially later in the series. A girl is described as having her shirt unbuttoned displaying her bra while kissing a boy.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybibliophile February 5, 2009

Wonderful Read!

This book was absolutely amazing! A beautiful plot, intriguing characters, and great action. There is swearing fairly often, including sh-t, p-ss, d-mn, h-ll, -ss, and the Lord's name in vain. One guy is mentioned as being gay, and another man winks at him and says 'call me'. Maybe an innuendo or two. It was truly a wonderful book that I recommend to anyone thirteen and older.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGill.ox July 27, 2009

Adored this book!

This is one of my favourite books! It's exciting and always keeps you guessing with new suprises at every turn. From the moment I picked up this book, I was addicted! Cassandra Clare keeps you hanging with every page!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo June 30, 2011

Angels and Demons– done differently.

One of my top five favorite book series (up there with Harry Potter and the Hunger Games). While it may seem like a guilty pleasure novel at first, this story does have some intriguing allusions to angels and almost Islamic beliefs about them. It has positive messages about friendship and overcoming prejudice (One character is gay, another is a rather scary-looking warlock that's good at heart). Violence is prominent (hey, they're demon slayers) but is never overdone. Sexual references are present, but as I said, they're only references. Sex does not actually occur.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBloody Gorgeous February 1, 2009

Beyond my Expectations

Considering this book sloshes together witches, warlocks, werewolves, vampires, and even demons, I was a little scared of how it would turn out. I was suprised. This book was really entertaining. It has some good twists, although you can probably compare some parts to other books and movies. Besides that, It's a great book. I absoulutely fell in love with Jace. But hey, is there many teen books where you don't fall in love with a character? I can't wait to read City of Ashes!! I only said 12 years old because i want kids to actually understand ans soak up all the great stuff theyre reading!
Teen, 16 years old Written byKaylitchka March 19, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

Ok, First of all, PArents if your kids are not 16 and up DO NOT let them read this book. It is a terrifically written book if you are old enough to understnad these things. Language is HORRIBLE in this book. And there are several references to sexual situations but none that are graphic or display any thig inapporpriate, just refernces. It is fantasy so there are lots of demons and dark features. If your child is under the age of 16, its not for them. This is coming from a teen, so trust me... 16+ will enjoy this book alot but other wise, wait til they are older
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2014

Great, but some mature scenes

I am not quite a teen yet and I heard of this book through one of my BFF's. Knowing her, I was not expecting to read the book because she does not have an issue with swearing/inaproprietness where as I do. I started the beginning and thought "I am SO not gonna read this book" for it took place in a club. A month or two later this book came up again so I figured I'd try again. I DO NOT REGRET IT. This series along with the Divergent trilogy are my favourites. I am a faithful Harry Potter fan but I must say, it was very thrilling and had many twists. In terms of mature content, there was some swearing but I am around those words every day at school so it didn't bother me ,much though I know not to repeat them. I do not enjoy/ take pleasure in…sexual scenes. In this first book out of 5 and soon to be 6 hardly had anything serious in it, some kissing… however I found especially towards the end of the series there were some paragraphs i simply skipped for as I said, I do not take pleasure in those scenes nor do I feel the urge to read them. They hardly mention it but I would suggest the reader knew about the creation of a baby. In terms of homosexuality, AKA gayness, there is a gay couple in this series. I know that the way gay people live is a bit different then a "straight" person but they are just as kind or fun as the next person, therefore I personally (nor my parents) do not have a problem with some gayness but of course, not TO much…:) Violence? Yes, there is quite a bit of violence ( they are demon hunters) but generally comparable to Harry Potter. Gorryiness? Not much, there was a very minimal level of gorrr, just enough to get the message through. I am a Christian, Catholic to be exact so hearing that it was about demons and angels fighting, I thought it would be offensive to my religion but it was not. To sum it up, if your child knows what he/she should not read or what to skip through, don't worry. If not…wait till at least 13-14
Teen, 15 years old Written byFhelan February 19, 2012

Meh...

I read half of chapter one and couldn't bring myself to finish the chapter. In the little that I read, a 15-year old girl and her friend went to an all ages club with drugs, drinking, herbal ecstasy, and make out sessions in the back. Pretty vulgar stuff for the first few pages of a book. I tried my hardest to finish the chapter, but the book didn't interest me at all. I'd find something a little less risqué to read than this.
Teen, 16 years old Written byvegas-diva August 14, 2012

10/10

i think it is a really awesome book for older teens because it has many twists and action. i think it isnt good for young teens because there is quite a lot of violence and romance and mature themes that they probably wouldnt understand or be interested in. its a great book for people who love lots of action, fantasy and drama or for people who love twilight and harry potter. i enjoyed it very much and it is one of my favourites. cant wait for the movie to be released next year :D :D
Teen, 14 years old Written byjenjen15 February 12, 2012

An amazing book worth reading.

I began reading this book after it was suggested by a good friend of mine. At first, I was a little unsure of whether or not to read this book, because I didn't know if I would care for it, being that I did not like the Twilight saga. So, I started to read it anyways, and I was totally in love right from the beginning. The book begins with a girl named Clarissa Fray, who one night, witnesses three teenagers kill a boy. She is appalled from the sight. But she soon realizes, that maybe what she thinks she saw, isn't what it was at all. Clarissa, who goes by Clary, soon finds herself in a heap of trouble and confusion, packed full of vampires, werewolves, and shadow-hunters. This book was terrific. I, being thirteen when I read this, could relate to the teenage characters and understand their decisions. I loved the comedy, which actually made me laugh out loud, the romance, and the action. This book literally had me on the edge of my seat. I would, however, say it is a little iffy for kids under eleven or twelve, but it is absolutely fine for teens and tweens. It has some swearing and some sexual content, but I assure you that it is nothing to drastic. This book does have a gay character, but I don't understand why any parent would be concerned with this; aren't we trying to promote diversity? Anyways this book is a great read and it is one of my favorite series, definitely one worth watching for.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycharlie lou September 4, 2009
this book is nothing less than brillaint! lovable characters and a excting plan line. the 1st books just leaves u graving for the next then the next.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2015

Amazing!

This book is personally my 3rd favorite after the series Divergent and Maximum ride. The only reason I'd say for children 12 and up is because they use a higher vocabulary then most elementary children have. Also there are some refrences that younger kids wouldn't get, only teenagers and adults. I definitely suggest this book for middle schoolers and possibly 5th graders if your parents are willing to explain certain things to you as well as tell you what some words mean.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhaslamklily February 26, 2015

Best of the best! Perfect for fantasy lovers!

I classify myself as an avid reader. I am rarely ever caught without some sort of novel by my side, and spend my free time rather reading, writing, eating, or browsing tumblr. Overall... an antisocial teenage fangirl. And, having read so much great material, I tend to be uneasily impressed. I always look for loopholes, and criticise more than I know I should... but this book series is outstanding. Reading books such as Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, Percy Jackson, The Giver, The Heroes of Olympus, and many more Fantasy, Dystopian, Adventure novels and TV shows, the Shadow Hunter Chronicles is in my top 3 book series of all time. A thousand years ago, shortly after 1000 AD, the Earth was invaded by hordes of demons. During the times when the Crusades first began, particularly believed to be some time in the winter months, a crusader named Jonathan called on the angel Raziel, though it was believed by many that it was a warlock who truly summoned the Angel. Jonathan begged Raziel to help save humanity. Seeing the honesty and nobility of his wish, the angel obliged and mixed his blood with that of Jonathan in the Mortal Cup, a mixture he let Jonathan drink. Raziel then gave Jonathan the other two Mortal Instruments, the Gray Book, and the fitting name of Shadowhunter as a symbol of his transformation. Soon, more men and women drank from the cup and became Nephilim warriors themselves. Shadowhunters roam the earth, protecting the weak mundane from trouble... killing demons and rogue Nephilim, as well as keeping Downworlders, Werwolves, Vampires, Warlocks, in line. This series follows the eye of a particular girl named Clary who thought she was just an ordinary girl; till she spots a murder at a night club... a murder only she can see. Clary Fray discovers her mother was a Shadowhunter. Sucked into this crazy world of death, Fray and her new friends realize that Clary might just be the key to defeating an insane, vindictive, ambitiously cunning Valentine, who is also her father. Not to mention the fact that he her brother is equally as horrible, only half demon. WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW: for the entire series... based off a girl who has read them 6 times each. This book, being all about killing monsters, I would give a 3.5/5 star rating for violence. There are some sexual references and sex is mentioned, with a brief overview in the final book. I would give a 1.5/5 star rating for sexual content. This story also tells readers that it is okay to be themselves (featuring gay characters if that matters at all) and also has historical value (in the prequels) with much information from the Bible and ancient runes that may spark the mind. I would give a 2/5 star rating for educational value and 2/5 star rating for positive message. Language would be 2.5/5 star rating for there is minor swearing through the book series, along with rude insults. 3/5 stars for Consumerism as one character is very geeky and mentions things such as Dungeons and dragons and anime shows, along with other brand mentions. For drug usage and whatnot, I would give a 2/5 star rating for a few teenagers go to a bar here and there and some smoke, with a few drug mentions. I would rate this series fine for 12-13 year olds, 11 year olds if they are mature for their age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKastiel July 20, 2013

Boring.

I bought the box set, and I was really disappointed! I was hoping it would be better. It's not bad though, a good kids read.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylucyandcleo March 10, 2013

Good

well..I say its pretty good. It has a lot of surprising. But I don't believe other gods. I believe there is only God.
Teen, 14 years old Written by1twilightfans.com April 3, 2010
havent read it yet but i know that stephenie meyers have and she said 13 and up so it cant be that bad
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 6, 2013

city of bones

too many confusing intersecting story lines, overall very confusing, and not enough fantasy action and scariness, and NO MAGIC :(