Kid reviews for Clap When You Land

Clap When You Land Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

overall great book

this book is sooooo good and i love the writing style. there is swearing and a man that stalks a 16 year old girl

Disappointing

This book has multiple references to sexual actions, sex trafficking, homsexual teens, and marital affairs. I couldn't even read a few chapters without stopping because it was bothersome.

Read it in One Evening

This book is beautiful, incredible, moving. It has amazing symbolism and descriptive language. It is a beautiful testament to the complexity and importance of family. It also has great representation; all of the characters are POC and most are female. It shows their struggles, their strength, and their bravery. Although the book is written in verse, I didn't find it hard to read like I thought I would. I would recommend this book for teens and older for the following reasons: -there is a couples kissing and a brief mention of them feeling each other. -One theme of the book is sexual assault and harassment, which some readers may find disturbing/triggering. -There is defiantly some swearing.

One of my favourite books

I love this book with all of my heart. There are so many positive messages about family loss. There is no sex in this book but there is a boy (El Cero) Who stalks and assults Camino. The language in this book is Strong in places but not frequent; F**k is used twice, F***ing is used around 7 times, S**t is used frequently, B***h is used a couple of times, Damn, Crap, Hell and more less rude language. There is one violent scene where Camino is being sexually harrasedby El Cero, She kicks him away and swears. I love this book. Elizabeth Acevedo is an amazing author. If you liked clap when you land, you will like with the fire on high by the same author.

I Don't Even Have Words

I don't have adjectives to describe the amazingness that is this book. I closed it and the only thought I could think was, "Wow." This book is seriously that good. It deals with some heavy topics, and it's based off a true story that most people don't even know happened. It's a story about love, loss, and family, and how tragedy can bring people together. This book is based off the second-deadliest plane crash in US history. A flight from New York to the Dominican Republic crashed into the water, not far after it took off. In turbulence, the pilot steered the tail of the plane too harshly and the tail snapped off, plunging the plane into the waves below. There were no survivors. How many of you knew this occurred? I'm willing to bet not many. The heavy topics in this book are death of a family member, secret affairs, sexual harassment, and there's a lesbian character. There are 2 main characters. Each lose their dad in the plane crash. The only thing is, it's the same dad. And neither girl knows the other exists. Neither of them deals with losing their dad well, and then they find out about each other. Their dad married two women and had two daughters within two months of each other. Everything the girls know about their father is wrong- if he lied about that, what else did he lie about? One of the main characters is in New York, the other in the DR. The one in the DR is sexually harassed by one of the men there, and she keeps it a secret from everyone until the end of the book. The other girl is a lesbian and kissing scenes with her girlfriend are described. Swear words occur, but it's nothing public school students haven't heard before. This book is more educational and uplifting than anything. It shows how out of a tragedy, you can become closer to your family. You can learn to love someone new that you may have hated at first. Family and togetherness are huge in this book and they are portrayed beautifully. Learning about this togetherness resonated with me, and learning about the crash inspired me to learn more about it in my own time. I absolutely recommend this book, because it will make you think and change you in some way.