All teen and kid member reviews for Classic Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask

Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod December 20, 2010

Clever series for kids, balancing humor and scares

It's hard to write children's horror books without making it TOO scary. I remember, after hearing a story from some Stories To Read In the Dark or something like that, I was SO scared i was CRYING that night. I finally yelled for mommy and daddy, who then told me no more reading scary stories. It really scarred me! But Goosebumps doesn't go overboard like that. It seems to know how to create an excellent blend of humor and watered down horror, that most kids can actually enjoy it. Of course, it had it's share of stupid stories(a. LOT. of them, too), and some went that extra mile to give an extra "boo!" for their buck, but most were just amusing. It also had heroic and modeled behaviored heroes, as well as some violence, frightening scenes, some stories got carried away and got a little bit Twisted, and a good part of the non-idiotic stories had a kind of dark and, dare i say, DISTURBING feel, tone, and atmosphere. But I'm only gonna talk about a select few, because this review is already starting to drag, I'm sure. tHE hAUNTED mASK series: In 1, it centers around young-ish tween, Mary Beth or Sarah Beth or something, wanting an awesome halloween mask this year(the previous years, her masks have usually been crudely made by her mother). So she goes to a store, the manager tells her the one she wants isn't for sale, so she takes the mask and runs, leaving all her money behind, hoping it'll make up for the mask. So she wears it and scares the kids who made fun of her for having crummy masks in previous years, but only when she starts acting EXTRA mean do her friends look into it. So they talk some sense into Maybeth, and the friends find out that the mask won't come off! It's physically attached to young Marybeth's skin! So, as it turns out, the masks in the back that Marybeth saw were used to hold evil spirits and now one's gradually taking over(one could say possessing) Marybeth. But, in the end, Marybeth stops the transformation by putting her faith into a clay sculpture of her face that her loving mother had made her, which earlier she had just dismissed, thinking it was weird. So her mother's love saved her. And revenge only quickened the evil spirits growth. But also, she DID somewhat steal the mask from the man. The second's pretty much the same.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 26, 2009

Good, but not great.

I did like this book, but I disagree that it is one of the best. It is good, however, and kids who like horror stories will love this one.
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2013

Shudder-worthy read

I sort of think this is NOT for kids who are easily scared! Carly Beth eats a worm, is attacked by a 'tarantula' (not what you think it is), and has evil thoughts while wearing the mask! Not to MENTION the cliff-hanger ending... The talking Plaster of Paris head... and The Unloved chasing her! I know a stronger or older reader will devour this! P.S.: There's a mention of Smurfs, for you consumerism-concerned people out there.
Kid, 10 years old September 5, 2015

Great for kids and preteens who are into horror stories ~

This book has very efficient entertaining purposes and it's a fantastic book for kids/preteens who are just starting out with bone-chilling stories. The Haunted Mask didn't give me any scares at all but the last few scenes in the story made me feel quite tense. There is barely any violence in the book so it's fine for eight year olds and up. Overall, great book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahalr1328 December 13, 2012

Awesome book

It's a very good book. If you're a kid/tween who likes horror story then, you have to read this! This is a very well-written book and contains positive messages such as you have to love yourself :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byquibble October 14, 2009

not great but good

not the best of the goosebumps series by an means but if your a fan give it a try
Kid, 7 years old October 4, 2015

GooseBumps

It is not good. The books are scary. I don't like GOOSEBUMPS!!!
Kid, 11 years old October 31, 2011

if looks could kill, the haunted mask would be jesus

One of my favorite Goosebumps books ever. I read the original issued publishing of it, and it was great. It was nicely scary, very dramatic, and also very sympathetic for Carly Beth. It was a mixture of everything, a mixture to perfection, a mixture that I recommend to kids in the pre-preteen to preteen and teen area. It is probably the most product-placed novella in the series, because it mentions masks like Frankenstein, Freddy Krueger (complete with his clawed glove!), etc. But did that stop it from being great? Shoosh no!...well, maybe...
Teen, 13 years old Written byThreeDaysGracesGirl October 29, 2010
The books are fine. It depends on how easily scared your child gets.
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2010

horror book series for kids is much better than the TV show.

I started reading the goosebump books when i was around 7 or 8 years old and loved them!! They had so creepy and scary stuff in it but nothing to major. The TV show Goosebumps can be a little more scary than the book for younger kids but overall i recomend the books much more than the TV shows.
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2016

Really fun (and scary) read!

The Haunted Mask is one of the "classic" Goosebumps books. Goosebumps only SEEMS really scary, but actually, it's mixed with humor! This is one of my favourites in the series. The story is about two girls, who are best best best friends: Carly Beth Caldwell and Sabrina Mason, two eleven-year-olds. The one girl, Carly Beth, hates how everyone tries to scare her. Her friends Sabrina, Chuck Greene, and Steve Boswell, as well as her eight-year-old brother Noah Caldwell are all out to get her. The last straw is when Steve scares and embarrasses her in the school auditorium. Carly Beth is livid and buys a really really really scary mask. She tries scaring Noah, and it works! Soon she terrorizes the neighbourhood, scaring and stealing candy from children. You can imagine how satisfied Carly Beth felt when she finally reached her goal of scaring Chuck and Steve. Sabrina, on the other hand, is confused. Carly Beth would NEVER do anything horrible like what she does that night! Nevertheless, Carly Beth and Sabrina go over to Sabrina's to check out their candy. However, it isn't long before Carly Beth finds out she can't take the mask off... because now--it's HER face. So basically, that's the plot. (Don't worry, I won't spoil the rest!) Now about how safe it is for kids. I put in Age 8 and up because the Goosebumps series is intended for ages 8 to 12. There's a bit of scary stuff, and the chapters always end on a scary note and then the next chapter clears it up or talks more about what's going on, at the beginning. Except for the last chapter, all the scenes at the end are explained. It's not very violent, but Carly Beth says and thinks threats like "I'm going to tear this woman apart!" (she didn't) or "I'll eat you up!" (she didn't do that, either). However (SPOILER ALERT) the story contains a moral about loving yourself who you are. When Carly Beth becomes what she is afraid of, she realizes she liked herself better as Carly Beth, rather than as The Haunted Mask. It takes her the whole book to find this out, but when she does, she realizes it was worth the wait. If you enjoyed the book, there are three sequels! They are: Goosebumps #36: The Haunted Mask II (not remade, as of 08/22/2016), Goosebumps Horrorland #4: The Scream of the Haunted Mask, and Goosebumps: WANTED The Haunted Mask. Also, The Haunted Mask and The Haunted Mask II have been adapted for the Goosebumps TV show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byXdagent April 8, 2016

I WILL NEVER WEAR A MASK AGAIN!!!!

In Halloween,this is the thing to bring you the creeps for a long time.Masks have been a great scare for a long time.And here he knew how to show us the real scream we want to see.Wow!No more words.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2014

Worst books I have ever read

I am talking about the whole goosebumps series not only the haunted mask. These are books aimed at 12-14 year old, R.L Stine (author) said so in an interview. Yes, seriously. FOURTEEN. My three year old sister's Peppa Pig book was scarier (George FELL OVER! Argh! And yet still scarier) and more entertaining (well okay, Peppa is amazing, but Goosebumps is terrible). I rated this six only because around six years old I started reading them and I think I cried. They weren't tears of horror because of the 'scariness' of the book, they were tears of horror from the terrible writing and the blandness of the book. If a one year old was able to read they would be bored by this book, honestly horrifying and I mean in the sense that it's badly written and just not scary at all. Seriously people NOT FOR KIDS? Not for anybody who's not a toddler more like...