Kid reviews for Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

An amazing story that should have been told much sooner!!!

It's a good book telling an untold story of Claudette Colvin the ACTUAL first person to stand up to a white bus driver! It shares many hard but important topics that really need to get out there. I read this in middle school and although in the book there is talk about lynching, rape, etc... It was hard for me to learn but it's important that the new generation get this information early on in their childhood. There is some sex mentioned but the author doesn't go deep about it, it is some talk about rape. Also, there is some violence and a little swearing.

READ AND LEARN

Stay positive and speak your mind!

One of the best Newberries ever!

This book immediately went on my very short list of admirable and can't-stop-reading Newberry books from the moment I read the first chapter. Most people moan and groan when they are forced to read a biography and think about the thousands of times they'll be caught looking out the window, but this one will keep even the reluctant reader glued. Realistic, hopeful, educational, and superbly researched, this is a teacher's powder puff dream for their middle grade students. Philip Hoose did the best research I have probably ever seen for a biography. I couldn't wait every time I picked up the book to start reading and learn about this forgotten, yet influential, historical figure's story. I loved the steady pace, detailed reality, and hope displayed on the pages that told of the greatest spark of the civil rights movement. Readers will never forget this book and will, years from now, be urging their teenager to read and learn about Claudette Colvin, "the girl who got arrested". As you can see, I gave full marks for educational material, positive messages, and good role models; however, I did have a pause when it came to the sexual content. The main character becomes pregnant, unmarried, and there is some innuendo used to abuse. The violence isn't described in detail but there are bombings, lynchings, rapes, girls being carried off buses and people arrested. But this book is nonfictional, and tells the truth of life and history out clearly, which is better than the Vampire Diaries or nothing. To any teenager I tell them, and I already have, I give two thumbs up!