All parent member reviews for Copper Sun

Adult Written byKate_ee May 1, 2011

Worst novel I have ever read.

Loathed this book. I think it was the worst novel I have ever wasted hours of my life reading. There are much more valuable novels available that address similar topics, with significantly fewer absurd circumstances offered for young adults to believe. Draper seems determined to throw as many impossibilities as possible into the novel with no regard for how skewed an impression of actual events would have unfolded once the story hits American soil. The only elements that could be believed were the elements of cruelty, as well as the manner in which Amari ends up on the ship. From the moment she gets on the ship it deteriorates, and enters a fantasy that only has elements of reality.
Parent Written byKelly498 January 31, 2012

Great Novel, but Not for kids younger than 13

I believe that this book i a wonderful novel, but there are many things about it that maybe my children shouldn't get as detailed with or even know about. My 12 year old daughter asked me if she can read it and i beleive that maybe 13 or 14 would be a better age to read it. Other than that i believe that this was a great book that really has a strong message; Never give up hope
Adult Written byelainacarlisle February 2, 2015
Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

Not sure about this book.

Surprising what most of the teens said about the book - that it was so good. I wonder what I would have thought of it as a teenager. Probably the repeated rapes would not have really registered for what they were on my teen aged mind. Once one is an adult with teenaged girls, the whole situation becomes quite different. So it may be OK for my kid to read. I'm not sure. I am very disturbed that this is required reading for my daughter at age 14 and will speak to the school about waiving the requirement for her. She is starting to suffer from anxiety and I don't think reading this book will help. I didn't have to tolerate bad fiction as a child in order to understand the cruelty of slavery. Furthermore the happy ending adds a strange feel-good aspect to the story that seems out of place.