All parent member reviews for Coraline

Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byjandrewworld June 19, 2010

I think it really depends on your child when they should read it.

Before the film came out, on my little girl's 5th birthday, we read the book together. I had actually bought the book when I was dating my wife. Children do not see it as scary as adults see it. In fact, they see it as a wonderful adventure, where it gives some adults nightmares. I think the quote at the beginning of the book, describes it the best; "It's not that we teach children that dragons are real, but we teach them dragons can be defeated."
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bysiosf April 8, 2010
Educator and Parent of a 1 year old Written byCindyAnderson47 January 15, 2010

If you like creepy, this is great!

I enjoyed the movie when I saw it, but the book is better, although a shorter time period. I enjoy Neil Gaiman's adult stories and this has the feel of one his short stories expanded. I don't really agree that this book is violent at all, though there are a few scary moments, and the over all feeling of the book is creepy. Tweens that enjoy the horror genre would get a lot out of this book and it's MUCH better written than most of what's out there in that vein. (Can I tell you how much I despise the Goosebumps books? They're like Harlequin romance novels for kids. Why do we encourage bad writing?)
Parent of a 11 year old Written byjespee November 6, 2009

I worry about what my 11 year-old daughter views, but unlike me; she is not as sensitive to certain subjects. At the end of the story my daughter turned to me and said, "That's why I should not go with strangers, even if they promise me good things; like toys or Disneyland." It began a conversation on why she should never talk to strangers. The story was positive for my daughter. If your child is sensitive than it's up to the parent to decide wether or not your child should view it. I was a little surprised with the story, I am somewhat sensitive as a parent; because I over worry.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

Much Better Than The Movie

This story is better than the movie because Coraline is not enticed into the fantasy world her "other mother" has created where everything has buttons for eyes. Somewhat creepy of a theme, but the story is told very well. The vocabulary and themes are on-par and the creativity of the storyline is impressive. Just be aware that it is a dark storyline, where good overcomes in the end.
Educator and Parent of a 15 year old Written byredjed November 29, 2009

I LOOOOOOOOOVED IT!
Parent Written byAOwen239 November 7, 2008

loved it

great book . glad it going to be a movie.=]
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Who writes this waste?!

I've never read it, just seen the movie. But the movie review says that the book is even creepyER. I didn't think that was possible. Seriously, as I said in my movie reviews for Coraline and Spirited Away, why read this when you could read Alice in Wonderland, or better yet, see Charlotte's Web? Or even Charlotte's Web 2? This is just as dumb as The Obnoxious Oogieloves, only it's actually scary. So bottom line, instead of seeing or reading this, see or read Alice in Wonderland instead, or even better stick with the Charlotte's Web stories. -9000/10
Adult Written bytteach March 22, 2012

Why push the occult on your kids?

Children sense that there is a witchcraft feel to this novella and have natural withdrawal from it unless encouraged to feel good about it and read it anyway.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

great

this book is sooo great!!! but younger kids that are 1-8 may think it's to creepy, scary, or they just wont understand the book at all. but for kids 9 and up if they like creepy scary books then bye them this book.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byLuaith September 11, 2009

A liitle scary for grown ups, but a mysterious, exciting, and fun adventure for a child.....especially one a little tired of his parents.

I read it and screamed/gasped at one part. My 8 year old listened to it on CD & my 10 year old read the book (in one day). The 8 year old adored the book. The 10 year old said, "It wasn't scary mom." And this is the kid that runs out of the room during parts of the original Star Trek & Lost in Space series! I personally couldn't put the book down........SPOILER...........Like all the books I've read by Gaiman, this one has a sweet message with a nice ending....unlike scary Stephen King.
Parent of a 6, 11, and 16 year old Written byviolynn June 29, 2009
Adult Written bytimjeno March 27, 2009

Excellent for myself and my 5 and 6 y.o.

I read this myself first to make sure it would be alright and enjoyed it very much. I then read it over the course of several nights to my rather sensitive 5 year old son and 6 year old daughter. I planned the readings so we would end on "happy" parts but they both absolutely loved this book. There were no nightmares. My daughter insists that we read it again and she really liked the character of Coraline. Very well done!
Adult Written byjoolz_43344 February 10, 2009

love the imagination

The author has an amazing imagination and thought the setting was creative. It had some creepy parts to it, but overall, I really enjoyed the book. I can't wait to see the movie!
Parent of an infant, infant, 3, and 5 year old Written byMississippiQueen January 7, 2009
Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009
Adult Written bymbccreamer April 9, 2008

Coraline Gives me the Creeps!

In a good way. This is another fine effort by author Neil Gaiman. I belive it is his first Children's novel. Coraline serves as a warning to the kind of trouble an unattended child (no matter what age) might get into...The story is a very well written moral tale about an ordinary girl, Coraline, who becomes a heroine exihibiting strength and cleverness in the end.