All parent member reviews for Crispin: The Cross of Lead

Adult Written byNarci February 19, 2011
I think the themes of this book are something children relate to. The idea of a poverty gap is all to present in America today, as are single parent families. I think this book is not only a historically educational tool but also a social tool as well. Children will relate to Crispin and his impromptu father figure Bear.
Parent Written byBluffette November 25, 2015

Great read!

*spoilers* I loved this book it was a great read. You have to understand its very violent it includes a man being impaled and bleeding to death bear is badly injured by soldiers (that was a little disturbing). A dead man is described in great depth. There is a little bad language not that bad at all. I think that's all you need to know I hope you read the book and enjoy it!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bydabookreviewer December 6, 2010
I hated it! It was miserable and stupid. I mean seriously when would any of that happen. DO NOT READ IT!!!!!!!
Educator and Parent Written byIdaho teacher October 17, 2010

A tough read for younger readers

The book is fairly difficult to read for younger readers due to the the dialect of some characters. Also, has a few violent moments and a few more vulgar words for my comfort. In my opinion, I would recommend this book to a few independent readers, but not a good choice for literature circles or teacher read alouds.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bycarolinablue November 22, 2009

fine for older kids but not ok for tweens

I hated that a new vocabulary word that my son had to learn was B******. And it was so central to the theme of the book that it could not be ignored. The boy does not know who his father is during most of the book--and people are trying to kill him and he does not know why. Finally, it comes out that he is the illegitimate son of the lord of the land--now deceased. It may provide an interesting social commentary of what it was like to live during that time (not a history buff so I can't comment on its accuracy) but some of its themes are too mature for an 11 year old. I can see why some people think it is a good read--it is fast paced and the characters are colorful but I think it would be more appropriate for someone a little bit older.
Adult Written byshadow44 April 9, 2008

Amazing!!!

This one of the most amazing i've ever read i don't know wat that 11 year old was thinking but it certainently wasn't a bad book once i bought it from the store i started reading it and didn't put it down until i was done 3 dys later the book is about a boy that everybody call Asta's son but is not his real name and then a man named John Aclyiffe finds out something unbelievable about crispin and puts up a faulty wolf's head warrant then a lot more suprises are found out and you'll never put it down.