Kid reviews for Criss Cross

Lyrical tale of small-town teens in a '60s summer.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKezCat May 11, 2020

Little Plotline, Lots of Wisdom

Hi! This book does not follow a plot in the traditional sense. Those who are not used to this style of writing may be a bit unnerved by this when they start to read it. Although not life changing, I believe that Criss Cross is a brilliant illustration of how normal, everyday people are unique and connected, sort of as if we are each a thread in a brilliant tapestry of life.

There is one case where a kid chews tobacco, but it is very brief, and not viewed in a positive sense. I think, although not acceptable, it is an honest representation of a character's life. The author doesn't try to change the characters, she tries to explain and connect them, which makes this book very unique. I recommend it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byA reader January 2, 2017

Boring

Drags on and explains way to much on everything and the story line doesn't make any sense for anyone to read. Sorry but I dislike this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilabelle11 December 24, 2011

LOVED it!!!!

I loved this book! I read a lot of books, but only really like a few of them. I'm 13 now, but I did read this when I was 7 or 8 and didn't like it or understand it. But I picked it up yesterday and well - here I am!!! I totally recommend this book!

Educational Value
Teen, 16 years old Written bymairabaig123 November 19, 2011

Criss Cross Review

This book is great! Criss Cross is by Lynne Rae Perkins, and it is VERY descriptive. When ever their is a descriptive paragraph their is always a little image to describe it. I thought it was great and I think everyone should read it too!
Teen, 16 years old Written byNelly021 May 9, 2011
Criss Cross is a beautifully written story of a group of small town teens that learn about life and love one summer. There is no plot, but that is just part of what makes it so special. It is a very deep book, and it is better to read it once you are older than thirteen to fully appreciate it. It is a very accurate portrayal of real life in that nothing happens. But it is a book that you will find yourself reaching for over and over again. There is one instance with the s- word, one with the a- word, and one with the h- word, but they are very brief. There is another iffy spot where one of the characters chews tobacco at fourteen years old. Again, this part is brief. All in all, Criss Cross is an amazing book that will make you see the beauty in everyday things. It is a must read!

Teen, 13 years old Written byZaphrodite August 30, 2010

Started reading it when I was 10

It was absolutley beautiful.

Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2010

Over all bad!

This was the worst book I have ever read it had no plot no action and was just bad!!! I had to read it for a school project all I wanted to do was get to the last page! My advice don't waste ur time you'll never get it back.
Kid, 11 years old August 4, 2009

Criis Cross is GREAT!

This book was so cool!!!! i love it when peoples' lives intertwine in books! I think Lynne Rae Perkins did a wonderful job not only writing this book, but explaining teenage life! One of the best books I've ever read!

Educational Value

A Must Read Book For All 5-8th grades

In this book i was truly amazed on it was an easy read but excelent. I Loved This Book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjlc123 April 9, 2008

It's an amazing adventure for all teens who seek love!!!

This book is one about a girl named Debbie who is looking for love and adventure on her summer vacation. And that's all she wants! When her friend Hector is inspired by a coffee house guitarist, he takes guitar lessons in a church basement. Will Debbie find her one exciting love? And will that love be Hector? Cross your fingers! Find out by checking out the Newbery winner, Criss Cross!!! :)

GREAT

If Someone Rates This Bad......It's NOTT!! It's A Relly Good Book =)

i was mad!

This book sucked and isnt interesting and is all over the place i do not wish to reccomend this book to anyone im sorry if u have to read this!

OMG I love this book

I love this book it is amazing how the power of love can trick you or amaze you i love this book because it is relateable to. I think this is what most teens think about love.