Kid reviews for Delirium

Mix of forbidden romance, drama, and danger; OK for teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byj.may.m April 12, 2020

only for mature 12 year olds, other wise 13+

this book is AMAZING.

the start is a bit plain but it makes you want to read on.

i was actually 11 when i read this. its very fun and i couldn't put it down!

its entirely up to your parents and what they think of the book. but there is very little swearing and there is basic romance such as kissing and hands exploring body. and a few deaths, and from memory bombs, shooting and stabbing but they dont go into a lot of detail.

amazing series. i recommend!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byGibby900 February 20, 2018

Overall Great Book

I thought this book was very well written with descriptive and figurative language. It had a very interesting plot, and new twists kept coming in that I wasn't expecting. It was a very sweet love story without a TON of romance, but they were obviously in love. The main character Lena, makes some decisions that could have gotten her into big trouble, but most were against the controlling government. I was rooting for her and got upset when she made choices that might have been stupid through the whole book. Although it was a very good book, the ending did not make me want to continue the series. Overall, it was a great read.

Teen, 16 years old Written byremir101 August 24, 2011

AWESOME!

Im only 12 and I read this when I was 11 I fully understood the book! It was such an amazing story and I can't wait for the sequel. The authors Before I Fall is also a must read. This book reminds me of a futuristic twist of Romeo and Juliet

Teen, 14 years old Written byFluffyPenguin May 5, 2020

Shows great morals

This book is about a girl who l lives in a world where everyone has to get a procedure that makes them unable to feel love when they are 18. The procedure also makes people not feel pain or guilt. Good ideals are presented throughout the story. There is a bit of violence, but nothing too gory. The romance in the novel is just holding hands and occasionally kissing. I would definitely recommend to teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCass34 April 7, 2020

Amazing book, good read.

As long as your child is mature, they should enjoy this book. I couldn’t put it down!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTissue22 March 14, 2020

One of the best books I have ever read!!

This is the only book that I have cried in. It has made me look at the world differently. I really in joyed it!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byLainie.R January 11, 2020

Good but sad

I never really felt that attached to the book or it's characters, but I didn't mind reading it either. I'm not going to read the second book, but the first one was enjoyable enough. But a very important character dies, which depressed me so bad. It made me really sad and cry. Otherwise this book is good and the characters are pretty realistic. Sooo I would recommend.

Teen, 16 years old Written byalpha26 April 20, 2019

Eh, it's like any other dystopian fiction

From a shy fearful obedient citizen, Lena becomes brave after falling in love. Honestly, Alex and Lena and pretty cute. Delirium is a good read, but after that it just starts going downhill. The protagonist Lena is always in a numb unfeeling state, and so we don't feel anything either. The sequels just seemed...bland.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeOneWhoReads February 25, 2018

Amazing

Trust me when I say this, this book changed my perspective of many things like love can be cheesy but it helped Lena through some really difficult times. Yes there is mild violence but it teaches you an important message Not everything is bad. Also I wouldn't recommend this trilogy to younger children because it does contain some inappropriate content.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCubiBug November 6, 2017

Great Book for Older Teens

This book has the occasional swear word, lots of kissing, and some violent scenes of shootings and whatnot. For older and more mature teens, this would be an incredible book. The whole plot line is so interesting, and I just started on the second book.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 January 11, 2017

Its been awhile.

So its been awhile since I've read this, but I remember it being a pretty good book, if not very memorable. Lauren Oliver is good and has wrote great books like this, and Panic, but she doesn't write memorable books. Content is relatively light and fine for teens
Teen, 14 years old Written by5field787 July 19, 2016
My teacher had a group of 11-12-year-olds read this book for literature circles in Grade 6, and we were fine with it. However, it is a bit of a mature read for kids that age, so I would recommend 13-14+.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylaurajenz November 12, 2015

Delirium is the best!!!

I personally love Delirium because I've read it sooooo many times. However i have not read the rest of the series because the ending is sad and makes me mad like WHYYYYYY?!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMinkah April 29, 2015

You have to like dystopian

I do not like dystopian novels so I did not think this book was any good. The writing was great but there was a lot of violence which I am not a fan of. The ending was horrible and gruesome and if you do not like to cry over books this is not for you.

Teen, 14 years old Written byforever_fireproof March 2, 2015

Great Book, but Worth a Pause for Younger Teens

Delirium is a very well written novel about a society that views love as a disease. I enjoy it every single time I read it, and I eventually bought it because I knew it was worth reading multiple times. I wasn't able to put it down when I first got it from the library, and I often stayed up way later than when I go to sleep reading it.

The main character, Lena Haloway, is very easy to relate to, as many characters are in young adult fiction, or any fiction really. She often feels like an outsider and is easily affected by what others say. Everyone experiences that feeling whether it's every day or once in a while.

I also thought that the love story between her and Alex was very beautiful. It opened Lena's eyes to everything she had been missing as a young child, and taught her that love IS NOT a disease, no matter how much heartache it can bring you.

There is one moment though where Lena and Alex are together where he takes off her shirt and describes her as beautiful, which helps Lena in a way considering that she is self-conscious about her body, as every girl is from time to time. Even though there is somewhat of a good side to that, it still isn't moral for a man to see a girl without a shirt on when they aren't married. The scene doesn't go farther than that though and is pretty tame.

The language isn't too common, but f*ck you is said twice in one scene, but isn't said any more than that. Other minor words are scattered throughout the book.

Also, in one scene, whiskey is mentioned and it is implied that teens are drinking alcohol, but isn't major, and Lena doesn't take part in it.

The novel isn't very violent, considering it's mainly about love and romance, not something like war or a plague.

Overall, this is a really good book and in my eyes, is worth swallowing down the few instances of immorality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhannah_t21 February 16, 2015

AMAZING!!

This book was absolutely amazing!! I read it last year and it was one of the best books i have ever read. It is definitely a must read.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytwistedlover123 November 29, 2014
This is one of the favorite series I reread over and over. It teaches you about true friendship (which everyone should have). It also shows what true love is. They have some violence, but it's nothing a middle schooler couldn't handle. It was quite a reliable book, that you could learn a lot from. I suggest for the fans of Hunger Games and Divergent to try this book.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymjeffsc June 6, 2014

Good but slow read

I read and finished this book a few days ago and thought it was really thought provoking. The main character Lena is dealing with a problem that is her surgery to get like the part of the brain that deals with any emotion of love removed. But she has fallen in love and has been "infected". It had great content and messages and has interesting parallels to what our government and other aspects in our life our slowly trying to do to us. I would say 14 or 15 are around the age that it would be best to read. Mature older tweens might be able to handle the story but there has to be a level of understanding and maturity to grasp some of the things the author is trying to tell the reader. It has lots of hell, damn, s**t, and two back to back uses of f**k. There is no sex going on but a couple making out scenes and the two lovers once take most of each others clothes off to study the other's body. Even though there were times when the read was very slow and i was trembling to put the book down and find something else to read, by the end of it i thoroughly enjoyed it and will be eager to start the next book in the series!

Written byAnonymous May 26, 2014

Great

Gripping, I could not put it down.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymegabooklover221 April 13, 2014

Perfectly paced tale of forbidden love and escape

I personally ADORE this book! it was so well written and the storyline is awesome! The world of Delirium is very interesting and thought provoking. In this book there is a moderate amount of swearing. Including an instance where the main character says "F*ck you" twice. There is no sex in this book only passionate kisses and an instance where Alex takes Lena's shirt off but nothing beyond that. Overall this was an AMAZING book and I recommend it to anyone Over 13!!!