All parent member reviews for Demonkeeper

Parent of a 12 year old Written byVic_0000000001 January 28, 2011

Give them something fun and they will learn to read.

I read this story to my son, and it was a real turning point in his reading. He found the story fun, exciting, and leaving him wanting more. The use of language, characters, and plot twists keep you entertained and enjoying the story. It was FUN for me to read and that excitement was noticed by my son when I read it too him. //------------ When I gave this book to a coworker, her son had a similar experience. His mother was worried her son was not using descriptive language in his school essays and wanted to encourage him to read and write better. Using this book and discussion about how the author created the scene and characters. Her sons writing noticeably improved within one month. It is a well written, fun story that will draw kids in.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bypeony June 23, 2010

fun; some violence

Amusing and fun, with a good-hearted side, as long as readers are okay with a demon theme, several deaths, and a bit of gore. Two adults, several street kids, and a cat, are killed. The gore/graphicness of these deaths is minimal: more-or-less the earth opens up and the person is swallowed up, but it is clear that they're dead (and there is a bit of gore cleanup after one death, and the eating of the cat is a little more graphic). Nat's demon minions are monstrously adorable -- and I'd expect this book could work well for reluctant readers, especially boys. (However, for younger girl readers looking for a story with "cute monsters", see the much less violent, distinctly girl-oriented "Monster of the Month Club" books.)