Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dial L for Loser: A Clique Novel

Tween book is S for superficial, C for catty.

Adult Written bycommon_sense_user_12 April 9, 2008

More like an ad than a book

I wonder if Lisi Harrison gets paid extra for including so many brand names in her books. Literally, every page is like an ad for cell phones, jeans, iPods, shampoo, conditioner, you name it. Tween girls love these books, but I can't see why. They're boring and dumb. There's also a lot of offensive material. The girls flirt with boys whenever possible, spend all their afterschool time shopping, backstab their friends and much more. Much better books in this genre are: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series The Babysitters' Club books
Adult Written bygraceface April 9, 2008

I loved this book!

Dial L for Loser is a well-written book. There may be some issues with cliques and social behavior, but this is something we deal with in everyday life. This book relates to middle-schoolers well.
Adult Written bybusymomof3 April 9, 2008

lighten up =]

i read this book with my daughter and i thouhg tit was great. .and some of the people who disliked the book need to face the facts; this is how it is. Maby not everyone has th edesigner things like the characters but they are exactly that, characters it's jus t a story and there is no need to make a big deal about it, so i say enjoy the book, unless you're a closeminded person
Adult Written byleeee April 9, 2008

A must read book for ages 11-14

A GREAT BOOK! ONE OF THE BEST. I READ IT AND RECOMMEDED IT TO MY DAUGHTERS WHO ARE 8,11 AND 14, THEY LOVED IT! AND I WOULD GIVE IT TO THEM AGAIN! BEST BOOK EVER!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bywinston1 January 1, 2011
the only reason you stuffy fuddy-dudshave a problem is because youre too poor to afford it there is nothing wrong with wearing designer clothes my daughter does GAWSH get a life

Parent Written byCommonSenseParent November 23, 2010

Excellent, well-written read for 6th grade and up

Dial L for Loser is a well-written guilty pleasure novel that is an enjoyable and entertaining read for 6th grade and up. Kids will enjoy the tongue-in-cheek comebacks and the fun details of the wealthy and privileged. Your children should be smart enough to realize that this is guilty pleasure fiction and should not be taken seriously. A+

Educational Value
Parent of a 10 year old Written byshockedmom November 2, 2010

Iffy for older teens, definately not for younger children.

Hate it! Many sexual remarks..made daughter quit reading at chapter 2.

Parent of a 14 year old Written bypinkie0313 October 15, 2009

Educational Value
Parent of a 11 and 18+ year old Written byrainydayqueen August 4, 2009
The Clique books are usually hilarious entertaining good books but this one was a little too over the top.A girl takes off her underwear in a car and throws it out the window.Another walks into a room in her bra.A male teen actor hits on a 12 year old girl and makes out with her for a movie scene.There's also horrible and catty behavior between girls.Skip this Clique book and go to the next one

Adult Written bywhovian85 April 9, 2008

wrong, wrong, wrong

It's spelled Cliche with a thingy over the e, not clique. On the other hand the content doesn't sound as bad as some of the the books being reviewed on this site. I never would have wanted to read most of the books reviewed when I was a kid.
Adult Written byheadmistress April 9, 2008

Like one big commercial for a trendy superficial and unrealistic lifestyle

what a waste of paper and time. Sends horrible message to girls about what friendships are about.
Adult Written byRaquelAshley April 9, 2008

Clique: brutally honest and totally fake at the same time

The Clique is my series of books for reading when I want to read without any effort or thinking. The Clique girls do not act like 12 year olds; I have attended private school all my life, and those girls are more like 15 or 16. Their characters and behaviour are very true to life, but the plot...dial F for fake. That just doesn't happen. I am 17 and I read these books for fun. Note: this series should really be targeted at high school rather than middle school students. Any teen girl will probably be able to identify with this right away. It is honest- but the girls are a bit young for the way they act.
Adult Written byusaid4ever.... April 9, 2008
Adult Written byTabibaby051294 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Badly written book about catty girls

Parents should know that this book is full of girls that are mean to anyone they think is a loser, fat, nerdy, or poor. They are fixated on having the newest, most expensive clothes, and the hot boys from the boys' school. They discuss kissing and sex in ways that are inappropriate for the target age group. Worst of all, these girls are in middle school, far too young to be buying Marc Jacobs and Prada, not to mention being "felt up!" Keep tweens away, the book has no redeeming value.
Adult Written byShanabee April 9, 2008